+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV stations owned by colleges/universities

TV stations owned by colleges/universities

Many PBS stations are owned by colleges/universities, the only commercials stations I now there were owned by any KOMU and WNDU

Re: TV stations owned by colleges/universities

Quote Originally Posted by nomadcowatbk
    Many PBS stations are owned by colleges/universities, the only commercials stations I now there were owned by any KOMU and WNDU
    KOMU is still owned by the University of Missouri, though WNDU was sold a few years back to Gray Television.

I believe the University of Iowa formerly owned WOI-TV in Ames, the ABC affiliate now owned by Citadel; and Loyola University previously owned WWL-TV in New Orleans (which Belo now owns today).

KPBS is owned by San Diego State University.

Milwaukee Area Technical College owns both WMVS & WMVT Milwaukee, & both are PBS (WMVS being the general PBS channel, while WMVT has instructional programming available during the week, & PBS programming in other timeslots.

Grand Valley University in Michigan owns the WGVU/WGVK simulcast (WGVU licemsed to Grand Rapids, & WGVK licensed to Kalamazoo).

Ball State University in Muncie Indiana owns PBS station WIPB.

WTIU Bloomington, IN is owned by Indiana University Bloomington, & is PBS.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign owns PBS station WILL-TV in Urbana, IL

The Arizona Board of Regents owns KAET Phoenix and KUAT Tucson, but each station is operated by the respective university(s).

KUHT Houston (PBS) is licensed to the University of Houston.
    Formerly bhayes1016<br />Superman wears Jack Bauer underoos.

As previously mentioned WTVI/Charlotte is now owned by Central Piedmont Community College.

WVUA Tuscaloosa

I forgot to add one from Chicago. WYCC, owned by City Colleges of Chicago. The other 2 are owned by non-profit organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by azumanga
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadcowatbk
    KOMU is still owned by the University of Missouri, though WNDU was sold a few years back to Gray Television.

I believe the University of Iowa formerly owned WOI-TV in Ames, the ABC affiliate now owned by Citadel; and Loyola University previously owned WWL-TV in New Orleans (which Belo now owns today).
    Iowa State University owned WOI. Some have suggested that University of Iowa loyalists were behind the forced sale of WOI by the State Board of Regents. Another bit of trivia...the funding for WOI-TV came out of a slush fund attached to uranium enriching for the Manhattan project in WWII.
    www.TheRenegadeRoadhouse.co We stream southern rock, pop and country 24/7. Come have a seat - Beer is available for rent, I mean purchase...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast