Hmm, pretty smart on his part, but I'm not sure I'd want to buy something from him if I were looking for a station. I'd just file the CP myself - makes more sense.
The problem is you'd have to wait for a translator filing window. That may be years away. At very best, it will be after the next LPFM filing window, whenever that is. The FCC hasn't settled the last round of translator applications, which happened many years ago. You might have a very long wait if you apply for one today. Therefore, existing translators do have value. How much they are worth, and whether they should be trafficked is another discussion.