• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings: December 2023

Wow, WMJX and their tepid Christmas offering just squeaked by WBZ FM.

Heaven forbid if one of the country stations decides to Play country /traditional Christmas music they might get some ratings.
Maybe even beat out lame MJX.

Wow, WMJX and their tepid Christmas offering just squeaked by WBZ FM.

Heaven forbid if one of the country stations decides to Play country /traditional Christmas music they might get some ratings.
Maybe even beat out lame MJX.
Big 103-3 was handily beating both WBZ-FM and Christmas music on. Magic at night in December.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director, Inc.:

25-54: 1. WBZ-FM 2. WMJX (up from #10) 3. WBGB (up from #7) 4. WBUR 5. WZLX
_______ 6. WXKS-FM 7T. WWBX 7T. WROR
18-34: 1. WBGB (up from #4) 2. WMJX (up from #9) 3T. WWBX 3T. WBZ-FM 5. WXKS-FM
_______ 6T. WBQT 6T. WJMN
18-49: 1. WBZ-FM 2. WMJX (up from #8) 3. WWBX 4. WXKS-FM 5. WBGB
_______ 7. WBUR (down from #4) 8. WZLX (down from #5)

Meanwhile, WEEI, as I’ve mentioned before, remains a pretty unique one shift strong station. The Globe goes further saying the discrepancy between AM drive and the rest of the day/night is stunning.

I have speculated that WEEI has benefited from a “we’re not Toucher & Rich” phenomenon. And WEEI has successfully “counterprogrammed“ T&R..by doing SPORTS. Even though it’s widely believed you can’t do sports in AM Drive even on a sports station. Something the DJs on 98.5 simply refused to do on a regular basis.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from here. 98.5 has/had a monopoly overall position but they left a little crack opening with the circus show in AM. WEEI drove through that opening to put up double digits which is an astonishing improvement in a couple years. BUT There has been ZERO halo WEEI benefit, as the Globe points out ANYWHERE else after AM drive.
My gut tells me 98.5 can fix the turmoil in AM over time …by just getting their act together. As Toucher explained, it’s been just a mess. But that mess is getting cleaned up. Will AM Drive look like 10 Am-midnight again? Just utter dominance? Dunno.

I couldn't agree more! WMJX's Christmas offerings suck! I remember when Magic 106.7 would play 18 hours of traditional new age Christmas music on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. Not anymore.

A 2.6 for their (WEEI’s “Jones and Mego”) afternoon show is just wild.

That's a 3-month average. Some weeks they were hovering around 1.9 and tied for 19th..
Piggybacking (copying?!) off of Chad Finn's original article, Barrett Sports Media summarizes
the Fall 2023 quarter (Sept. 14 - Dec. 6) for The Sports Hub vs. WEEI where there wasn't significant change
beyond WEEI's afternoon dip. All demos cited are for age 25-54 Males:

Last edited:
Another iHeart switcheroo has Pittsburgh's WBGG 970 going to Fox Sports from ESPN acc to radioinsight.
"WBGG will air a mix of Fox Sports Radio network programming and programming produced by the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Penguins."
[Penguins mostly owned by Fenway Sports group]

Last edited:
Another iHeart switcheroo has Pittsburgh's WBGG 970 going to Fox Sports from ESPN acc to radioinsight.
"WBGG will air a mix of Fox Sports Radio network programming and programming produced by the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Penguins."
[Penguins mostly owned by Fenway Sports group]
And iHeart's WUCS in the Hartford market has made the switch, too. Makes sense for iHeart to be doing this, since its Premiere Networks syndication arm distributes Fox Sports Radio. I'd imagine it's been a matter of allowing old contracts to expire that's kept some of its stations airing programming from Fox's main rival in sports broadcasting.

Back
Top Bottom