• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings: November 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 10/12/2023 thru Wed. 11/8/2023, age 6+ overall:
An alternate view: Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News
An alternate view: https://www.urbaninsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/BOSTON.htm

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc. - scroll down to see Boston:

25-54: 1. WBZ-FM 2. WBUR 3. WZLX 4. WXKS-FM 5. WWBX 6. WROR
18-34: 1. WWBX (was #9 in Sept.) 2. WBZ-FM 3. WXKS 4. WBGB (up from #8) 5. WBQT 6. WJMN
18-49: 1. WBZ-FM 2. WWBX 3. WXKS-FM 4. WBUR 5. WZLX 7. WBQT (down from #4)

WKLB and WBWL continue their slide in 6+, and neither cracks the top 5 in any demographic. (Maybe No. 6 in 18-34? The numbers quoted omit that position.) Could country music be getting too twangy and rural for the Boston market? Is the same thing happening in other non-traditional markets? Will country radio respond by cutting back on the more traditional elements?

Boston is the only market that has five spoken-word stations in its top ten.

#1 .. WBZ-FM Sports
#2 .. WBUR NPR
#6 .. WBZ All-News
#9 .. WGBH-FM NPR
#10 tie ... WEEI-FM Sports

Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix and Miami have only one spoken-word station in their top ten.

Boston is the only market that has five spoken-word stations in its top ten.

#1 .. WBZ-FM Sports
#2 .. WBUR NPR
#6 .. WBZ All-News
#9 .. WGBH-FM NPR
#10 tie ... WEEI-FM Sports

Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix and Miami have only one spoken-word station in their top ten.
This is a very interesting observation!

Its beginning to feel like music, as chosen and presented by a radio programmer— OTA and with long commercial breaks—is kinda nostalgic, analog, last century.

It also feels like the competitive music stations are those fighting to survive with the favorite songs of people 55+. The slower you are to adopt to technology the more you’re targeted. Hey, I’m 65 and it’s kinda neat because Boston music stations generally all sound like my personal IPod…my favorite songs of 1972-2002. Or my friends then-favorite songs lol.

Problem is..every day thousands of people my age die. We’re used to waiting through a song or 2 we don’t like, a commercial break, a sometimes obnoxious talent. And we are replaced by thousands of people who turn 18 Each day. They don’t listen to any songs they don’t love. And they only listen to commercials when they can’t afford the monthly fee they’re used to paying to avoid them & they hear only their favorite music/content. When they want to,

Back
Top Bottom