• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes to Howie Carr/Grace Curley Show

With Grace out for maternity leave, it looks like Howie's moved his on-air time to 2:00 to 6:00, with guest hosts on 12:00-2:00 and 6:00-7:00.

May not be the case. The network is still running 'Grace Curly' liners and promos between noon and 3PM. Maybe
Howie is giving Taylor Cormier some air time between 6PM and 7PM?

May not be the case. The network is still running 'Grace Curly' liners and promos between noon and 3PM. Maybe
Howie is giving Taylor Cormier some air time between 6PM and 7PM?
howie said on the show earlier this week he was going to cover 2 to 6 while grace was on maternity leave, with a guest host from 12-2 and from 6-7.

Howie has a book coming out in Sept in which the "Paperboy" recalls his life including "finally taking ownership of his own show". Don't know if there will be an audiobook version (if so it would be great to have him do narration though he never did the vocals for his audiobooks before and the last few didn't do audio versions as far as I know)

Are Carr's books good? I've heard his work described in the pulp mill fashion, in that there were times when he was just churning them out one after the other.
Whenever I've read his columns in the Herald it seems like he just uses the same cliches over and over, for example calling anyone at the Globe a "trust fund bow tied bumkisser". It's just boring and comes across as very petty.

Those who enjoy his radio show will probably enjoy the books given his info on
organized crime and local history, sense of humor and pop culture references. He does recycle material between the show, columns, and books and isn't too proud to use listener jokes and info in the print media.
Cliches abound and there's nicknames and name calling. The local mob (two in the hat, bagmen, Crime Families) and the Kennedys give him lots of material to work with.

Could be some behind the scenes stuff about "Entercom happens" and many of us know the old stories but fans should enjoy it. He'll keep churning them out as long as he can.

Are Carr's books good? I've heard his work described in the pulp mill fashion, in that there were times when he was just churning them out one after the other.
Whenever I've read his columns in the Herald it seems like he just uses the same cliches over and over, for example calling anyone at the Globe a "trust fund bow tied bumkisser". It's just boring and comes across as very petty.
some books were good, some were "did he just bang this out to make a buck?".

If you borrow them from your local library you won't feel as if you wasted your money, your time is another matter.

And yes he uses the same old tired cliches all the time, and frequently is wrong

There is no such thing as a "full pension" at the MBTA after 23 years, there never has been but he'll keep telling you that there is when he needs to fill out column inches.

He is the Master of self promotion

Back
Top Bottom