• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Old WHDH-FM 1960's MOR format?

That story has circulated for some time. In any case...I'm not dead but definitely listened to WHDH-FM as a Progressive Rock station when I was in junior high...I definitely used to hear people playing the station that were generally a few years older than I was at the time too. FM Rock had definitely taken off in the Boston area at that time...The various stations in 1969 included...
94.5-WHDH-FM (AOR)
95.7-WKBR-FM (Top 40) Manchester, NH
98.5-WROR (Top 40/Oldies) "Hit Parade '69"
103.3-WEEI-FM (Top 40/AOR) "The Young Sound"
104.1-WBCN (AOR)
105.7-WKOX-FM (Top 40)

The sudden flip of WHDH-FM from Progressive Rock to elevator music late in the summer of 1969 was kind of shocking...Also...With regards to WCOZ...Clark Schmidt only programmed it for it's first year of existence...Then George Taylor Morris programmed it from mid-1976 until the spring of 1978...when Tommy Hadges from WBCN took over. Then in the summer of 1980...John Sebastian took over and installed the "Kick Ass Rock" format. That format continued up until early 1983 at which time they initially modified it to a softer more mainstream Rock approach until the short lived flip to A/C in October, 1983...
There was also WLLH-FM 99.5 Lowell simulcasting 1400 AM doing Top 40.

WLLH-FM had a big following with Harvard students that had FM tuners in their dorm rooms.
When was that anyway? I arrived in that area way back in 1966...and was kind of surprised to find Top 40 on WRKO-FM and WKBR-FM at that time. But I am certain that WLLH-FM was elevator music by that time. And then the calls were switched to WSSH with in a couple of years...And still "elevator" for many years to come...

When was that anyway? I arrived in that area way back in 1966...and was kind of surprised to find Top 40 on WRKO-FM and WKBR-FM at that time. But I am certain that WLLH-FM was elevator music by that time. And then the calls were switched to WSSH with in a couple of years...And still "elevator" for many years to come...
My memory is more like yours. While I lived out of range of both the WKBR-FM and WLLH-FM signals, I was able to receive on a little table-top radio WRKO-FM in South Kingstown, RI, and yes, they were rock during my time living there; they were a simulcast during the day of WRKO-AM (Now Radio, The Big 68), then "R-KO, the shy but friendly robot, all night long." In 1969 or thereabouts, they transitioned to that awful Hit Parade '69, etc.

I remember the announcement that on June 1, 1968, the day of my calculus final, WHDH-FM was going to begin playing rock. Before I left my dorm room that morning, I tuned my radio to 94.5, and, yeah, there was rock music, but it wasn't enough to tear me away from 98.5 WRKO-FM.

When I moved to the Merrimack Valley in the early 70s, both 92.5 WHAV-FM and 99.5 WLLH-FM were playing "beautiful music", as it was known then. WSSH was still years away from its "easy favorites" format.

When I moved to the Merrimack Valley in the early 70s, both 92.5 WHAV-FM and 99.5 WLLH-FM were playing "beautiful music", as it was known then. WSSH was still years away from its "easy favorites" format.
The call letters were changed to WSSH in November 1970, so WLLH didn't last long into the 70s.

1964-65 A WLLH jock named Jack Peterson did a couple of remotes from Harvard Sq

Back
Top Bottom