• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alt Gone in Harrisburg

Seems like Alt 99.3 WHKF is stunting with a loop of REM's "End of the World." Also, it seems like the Air Talent schedule on their website now shows what looks like Urban/Rap air talent from iHeart stations.

And they just tweeted out the Alt Format is moving to the iHeart app only. Something new is coming to WHKF.

Today, I found out two things about Harrisburg.

1. Just over half of the city's population is African-American.

2. Before today, the city did not have an urban station.

In fact, I just heard the station's DJ say, "It's about time Central PA had a station like this."

RadioInsight published an article regarding the change. According to the article, this is how the change happened.

Following an hour of looping REM’s “End Of The World (As We Know It)” and one spin of Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)”, WHKF flipped at noon to Hip Hop “Real 99.3” launching with Meek Mill’s “Dreams and Nightmares” and Pop Smoke “What You Know Bout Love”.

I thought that was the whole purpose of an AM and licensed FM Translator
Nah. Until then, FM translators were only for FM stations to fill in gaps in their signal coverage. (Mostly used for hilly/mountainous regions where a signal could be blocked by terrain)

And of course religious/non-profit stations used them to build regional/nationwide networks. lol

there are on channel boosters, and there are translators. There are also LPFM's

Stations like 92.5 In Haverhill MA use on channel boosters of mostly light bulb powered wattage to get their rim shot signal 25 miles north of Boston and on a first adjacent to a Boston (Brookline) C.O.L. station into the market

LPFM are unprotected FM's that by law have a VERY limited coverage area.... 3.5 mile radius....

and then there are Translators, assigned to licensed FM's to rebroadcast AM stations, a concession to keep AM license holders from becoming extinct, and they are squeezed in where nothing was ever allowed before (first adjacents for example)... and by law a translator has to relay a licensed AM in the market and if that AM goes off the air the translator does too EXCEPT AM daytimers can feed the translator after they shut down for the night.

WXRV-292.5 FMDover, MA(99 watts)
WXRV-492.5 FMBoston, MA(1200 watts)
WXRV-592.5 FMBoston, MA(24 watts)
WXRV-392.5 FMNewton, MA(99 watts)
WXRV-192.5 FMFramingham, MA(99 watts)
W243DC96.5 FMNeedham, MA(10 watts)

there are on channel boosters, and there are translators. There are also LPFM's

Stations like 92.5 In Haverhill MA use on channel boosters of mostly light bulb powered wattage to get their rim shot signal 25 miles north of Boston and on a first adjacent to a Boston (Brookline) C.O.L. station into the market

LPFM are unprotected FM's that by law have a VERY limited coverage area.... 3.5 mile radius....

and then there are Translators, assigned to licensed FM's to rebroadcast AM stations, a concession to keep AM license holders from becoming extinct, and they are squeezed in where nothing was ever allowed before (first adjacents for example)... and by law a translator has to relay a licensed AM in the market and if that AM goes off the air the translator does too EXCEPT AM daytimers can feed the translator after they shut down for the night.

WXRV-292.5 FMDover, MA(99 watts)
WXRV-492.5 FMBoston, MA(1200 watts)
WXRV-592.5 FMBoston, MA(24 watts)
WXRV-392.5 FMNewton, MA(99 watts)
WXRV-192.5 FMFramingham, MA(99 watts)
W243DC96.5 FMNeedham, MA(10 watts)
Yes. Which is why I asked if WTCY was the first to utilize the ability to be an AM station using an FM translator. It wasn't always that way, and I could have sworn they were one of the first, (or the first) to do it

Well back to the point, with Alt being gone now, we have 3 lack luster rock stations left, 105.7,97.3,98.5. Everything else country, or pop. Think someone at corporate radio will get smart and bring us a new rock station? Off to XM I go in meantime.

Well back to the point, with Alt being gone now, we have 3 lack luster rock stations left, 105.7,97.3,98.5. Everything else country, or pop. Think someone at corporate radio will get smart and bring us a new rock station? Off to XM I go in meantime.
SXM is surprising affordable, I have 3 subscriptions and none of them are more than $79/yr

They will negotiate on price after a free trial is over, just call to cancel every renewal period and they will re-up you at the same rate

Of the 18 presets in my daily driver there are 14 SXM's, 2 AM's and 2 FM classic rock stations, although today I did listen to our local AM Talker on a HD2.... I am in the 55 to dead demo, my broadcast radio choices are getting pretty slim.

The classic roccker I listened to changed to classic hits, it was classic hits when I left for FLA in September, I got back in April and it was playing garbage, not the band, just crappy music

they would have done better with univisions hispanic fed format as the signal hits harrisburg lebanon and lancaster.
Which format are you referring to? Univision does not have an "Hispanic" format. It has a broad variety of formats that are in the Spanish language. And they are not even the principal syndicator of radio content; Sun Latino has more offerings and full format syndication.

Now would be a great time for Hall to switch 92.7 to Alt Rock (or really anything worthwhile), but I'm sure they're happy with their 0.3 ratings share as all sports... Man what happened to that station?

Now would be a great time for Hall to switch 92.7 to Alt Rock (or really anything worthwhile), but I'm sure they're happy with their 0.3 ratings share as all sports... Man what happened to that station?
I thought the same thing, with all there stations under performing (even fun 101 with 5th place) what do they have to loose? Sports radio is to niche. Face it, sports fans turn it on for football. When it is off season, nobody listens. They could put on PA polka and still have same .3 rating. BTW, Whos idea was it to make 92.5 simulcast 92.7? Both my car radios have lay over from each others stations at times and gets "scratchy " at times driving around Lancaster area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom