• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM 970 The Answer

In most cities, Salem does not subscribe to the ratings. Only in cities where it owns a commercial FM station playing Contemporary Christian music, most of them using the moniker "The Fish." That's Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta and a few others. There's no CCM station owned by Salem in New York, so it doesn't subscribe in Market #1.

I've heard Salem management really likes having Joe Piscopo host mornings in New York. But even in the days when we could see WNYM's ratings, they were well below a 1.0. The Salem conservative talk stations whose ratings we can see, in Los Angeles (KRLA), Dallas (KSKY) and Atlanta (WGKA), are all in that less-than-one territory.

In most cities, Salem does not subscribe to the ratings. Only in cities where it owns a commercial FM station playing Contemporary Christian music, most of them using the moniker "The Fish." That's Los Angeles, Dallas, Atlanta and a few others. There's no CCM station owned by Salem in New York, so it doesn't subscribe in Market #1.

I've heard Salem management really likes having Joe Piscopo host mornings in New York. But even in the days when we could see WNYM's ratings, they were well below a 1.0. The Salem conservative talk stations whose ratings we can see, in Los Angeles (KRLA), Dallas (KSKY) and Atlanta (WGKA), are all in that less-than-one territory.
Really Great information I appreciate you replying thanks 🙏

Why Doesn’t AM 970 The Answer Get better Ratings ? Especially Joe Piscopo. ?
Salem Media is a far-right, “Christian” niche company. Not that it makes it a bad company, but they are who they are. My problem with Salem and its local New York talk station am970 has a penchant for pushing unsubstantiated conspiracies—Such as the “documentary” “2,000 Mules” that purports to prove a conspiracy of election fraud. It has been debunked and Salem was sued for defamation by a central figure in the “documentary” and has publicly disassociated itself from it. At least 1 Salem host, Dennis Prager, who makes himself out to be a pillar of honesty and ethics, promoted “2,000 Mules.” So, Salem’s hosts need to be listened to with skepticism.

Salem’s radio stations, including am970, also push several very shady advertisers, such as the gold peddlers and the ubiquitous Balance Of Nature pills which recently paid out a $1.1 Million settlement in a false advertising lawsuit.

Joe Piscopo is the best “celebrity” am970 could possibly have. No knock against Joe.

Well Joe Piscopo also has his show on WABC Radio in New York.

Interesting that the leader of WABC radio is also on 970 AM but then again it's Red Apple media wanting their shows to air outside of New York and they signed an affiliation contract with Salem to get national clearance.

Well Joe Piscopo also has his show on WABC Radio in New York.

Interesting that the leader of WABC radio is also on 970 AM but then again it's Red Apple media wanting their shows to air outside of New York and they signed an affiliation contract with Salem to get national clearance.
am970 is so irrelevant that Salem doesn’t care about Piscopo appearing on WABC, to keep him happy, and WABC owner Catsimatides appearing on am970 which is likely a paid arrangement.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am employed by Salem in the New York market.

John Catsimatidis has appeared on WNYM since 2014, five years before he purchased our biggest competitor. The "Cats Roundtable" program was created by him along with others at the station, including then morning producer/early Sunday morning host Frank Morano (one of his sycophants) to keep Cats in the public eye after his failed run for NYC mayor in '13. His presence on the station expanded to what was originally "Cats at Night" weekly on Wednesdays a few years later.

When Cats bought WABC, the conventional wisdom would have him leave WNYM and make his new toy/bullhorn/media property the exclusive platform for his shows. But our local management loves–and needs, in all honesty–his money. Keeping what is now "Cats & Cosby" on weeknights at 5:00 brings more $$$$$ than anything else we could put in that hour. And, Cats loves the attention.

I can say a lot more, but I will leave it there.

Back
Top Bottom