• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM -> FM Listening Transition - Your Story

I began listening to WHB 710 AM in ~1970 on a pocket/battery powered AM only radio (I won a different AM only radio in 1968 but I rarely listened to the radio until 1970 although I do recall hearing the song "Honey" several times on radios around the house).

In 1972, my parents got a mono FM table radio - I found WDAF FM (102.1) and KPRS FM, WDAF FM played many of the same songs as WHB, but with a less frenetic presentation than WHB.

After moving to Iowa City IA in late summer of 1972, I used a mono clock radio to try to find FM stations in eastern IA playing popular music (I never looked for AM stations playing popular music).

Some of my high school friends listened to the WLS AM (the first time I'd heard about WLS) morning show on their way to school, Iowa City has a local AM station (WSUI 910) which my friends referred to as "the blight" because it made tuning in a clear, daytime WLS signal on a car AM radio a little difficult.

On the aforementioned clock radio I found KIIK FM out of the Quad Cities IA/IL which was the only popular music radio station I listened to until KRNA FM came on the air in the Fall on 1974 and KQCR FM in the Spring of 1975.

I never listened to music on any of the AM stations in eastern IA, the next time I heard WLS-AM was when I was visiting family in WY in the Summer of 1979, after sundown, my cousin tuned in WLS on his car radio.

Probably in one of the monthly audio magazines in 1982/83 mentioned that WLS-AM was broadcasting in stereo so I began listening to WLS from time to time just to see if they mentioned broadcasting in stereo (they did).

Moving back to MO in 1984, I listened to KBEQ FM and KPRS FM almost exclusively, in Mid-MO, I sometimes listened to KSIS AM 1050 (they played popular music, then a daytimer, they converted to stereo in the Spring of 1985), at night I almost always listened to WLS (sometimes WHB) since my car only had an AM radio, when WLS began cutting back on music in the late 1980s and got more talk shows, I put a Radio Shack FM>AM converter in my car and sometimes listened to KTXY FM.

Moving back to KC in 1989, I listened almost exclusively to many of the FM popular music stations (although KMBZ AM did convert to stereo and did broadcast a few songs, I only listened for national and local news).

After the Fall of 1972, the only time I listened to music on AM was from the Fall of 1984 to Fall of 1987 when I installed the FM converter.

My priorities for radio listening are the music and then the fidelity/audio quality (which includes all forms of stereo [surround sound is a form of stereo]), if it's a song I like, I'll listen to it on a noisy AM signal if that's the only option but I overwhelmingly prefer FM for music listening.

(I got an AM/FM/HD radio in 2009 but I rarely listen to HD broadcasts, when I do, it's nearly always K103.3 HD2)

Anyway, that's my story (I have no attachment to AM radio, maybe if the wideband Hi Fi AM experiments + noise blankers had yielded good audio quality from AM radio most of the time, I would feel differently about AM radio as a system).

Kirk Bayne

I was born in 1982, I started listening to the radio when I was in 5th grade just to fit in with the other kids in school We all listen to KBXX 97.9 The Box. Never really liked it though 😂. I wasn’t till when I purchased my first car that I started listening to the radio. I was around 16 then when I purchased my first Vehicle. During those days their weren’t many Christian radio stations in Spanish. The only one was 1480 AM KLVL. Listen to it for tears until I started listening to KLTN in around 2001 during the 9/11 tragedy to be informed and well so that my family could be informed as well.

We didn't have FM at all until 1977. My parents listened to the beautiful music stations, but in the car we didn't have FM until we got my grandparents' old car in 1983. The AM didn't work in that car for the most part. I mostly drove that car when my parents got another one. There was still music worth hearing on FM, but where I live now, music on AM was actually better if the sun was out and we were close enough.

My father got a new (er) car in 2000 and I got his old one, and the AM worked much better. Good music was becoming more common on FM but I was glad to have the AM. Then a few years later even FM didn't have much.

FM was about all I had at night and eventually NPR was the only thing I could listen to except at Christmas.

I was an AM DXer beginning when I was about 12. But a year or so later, in 1959, I got an FM radio and started listening when doing my homework to an early "good music station", WDBN from just outside Cleveland. The kids at school thought I was weird.

In 1959, I started hanging around WJMO and WCUY, two Black targeted stations in Cleveland. I soon got paid shifts at the FM jazz station as a board op, so I listened to that station a lot. The kids at school suddenly envied me.

When I became an intern at Organización Radio Centro in Mexico in 1964, I did not listen to FM at all. And the next year I was at an AM in Quito, Ecuador and there were no FMs in the whole country. But in 1967, I built the first FM there, and listened to it a lot as I was the program director.

In 1970, moved to Puerto Rico to work at an AM, so no FM for a while. Then, in 1975 went to an AM/FM combo and listened to the FM, Sonorama 93, a lot. In 1969, changed the FM to all Salsa and listened many hours a day.

In the early 80's, I did a syndicated Beautiful Music format for Latin America and programmed over 50 FMs then. By 1985 was in management of Salsoul 98, a salsa FM in Puerto Rico and stayed with them as staff or consultant till 2006.

I primarily listened to AM for music until 1983 on Long Island. First WABC, then WNBC. In 1983, WPLJ switched to pop and WBLI was the strong local CHR which you could pick up easily on any radio.

Other than intentionally seeking out AM music stations, I haven't listened to AM for music except in the UK. I was a student over there in the early 1990s and loved listening to Atlantic 252 on longwave.

I feel I went FM to AM

For Background, I am a 31yo.

I grew up listening to a lot of Smooth Jazz Radio from my Mother and Classic Rock on my dad's side. They shared a love of hair metal, Lots of REO Speedwagon, Guns n Roses, Twisted Sister, etc. My Mother had a liking to Kenny G. I didn't even know AM existed for the longest time.

I started being interested in Radio around 13-14yo. KRSK 105.1 The Buzz had The Afternoon show with Daria, Mitch and Ted, that became a after school listen. My other Frequented station was KNRK 94/7 Alternative Portland.

They at one point had a "Local Band Only" HD2 Station that was rebroadcast on 910am locally in Portland that lead me down the rabbit hole of AM Radio DXing at night.

My first memory of FM dates from my elementary-school days in Albuquerque. I was sick one day, and a friend of my mother's came over to watch over me. (Both my parents worked, not the most common thing in the mid-60s.) She had a radio with her.

"What's that?", I asked.

"It's an FM radio", she said. She added, "It only gets one station," which was KHFM. Actually, that wasn't true because there were a couple of other FM stations in Albuquerque at the time. But the absurdity of the statement stuck with me.

A few years later, my family had moved to southern Iowa. In the fall of 1967, rather loud-sounding music started showing up on our Zenith TV set at channel 6, otherwise blank in our area. We didn't have cable yet. I finally figured out that this was KRXL from Kirksville, Mo. which had just gone on the air. I lobbied my parents for an FM radio and got one for Christmas 1968. It wasn't the great performer, and there weren't a lot of choices in southern Iowa: basically KRXL and, from Des Moines, WHO-FM and KDMI. The latter was a superpower FM with lots of preaching. Later on, KRNQ came on the air, also from Des Moines, with automated rock. Even so, a lot of my listening was on AM. I could get a noisy signal from WHB in Kansas City, and actually preferred it to the much stronger (at least during the daytime) KIOA from Des Moines.

We moved to the St. Louis area in 1972 and, suddenly, way more choices! Where we lived, KXOK's nighttime signal was weak. So I first gravitated toward KADI (on FM) and then, after about a year, to the legendary K-SHE. KSLQ had gone Top-40 the fall of 1972, but I was already growing out of the super-jock type of presentation and much preferred the "cooler" approach of KSHE and KADI. On AM, there was KMOX, but that was for school closings. Our suburban area also had Top-40 KIRL, which was a daytimer. But the evening was the prime listening time if you were in high school, and that meant FM. By that time, I had gotten a Zenith "Circle of Sound" AM/FM radio which sounded pretty good for its time. I still have it!

Interesting topic. I was only vaguely aware of FM before we moved to West Central Ohio in 1967, when I was 10 (11 in November). FM was early in this county, with WMER signing on in 1960, before the AM/FM combo (AM signed on in 1963. Several AM directionals signed on around that time in Indiana, Ohio and Michigan, some with ridiculous patterns.
As for this FM station, WMER, it was built by the owner of a music store, and was built above the store. The store remains, owned by the same family, serving the band instrument, sheet music and recorded music needs for generations. That and the station are in the same location, though the station has been sold several times. When they had the station, my Middle School principal had a weekend shift on the station. I half expected to hear "That was Tommy James and the Shondells and see you in detention hall". The format was a mish-mosh of tracked instrumental albums and some top 40 request hours. I got an FM portable in late 1967, probably Christmas. In mid-year, WMER changed ownership, and the automation system was. placed in the back of the store, out of customer flow but still visible without being anywhere I shouldn't. I. saw a man rewinding one of the tapes, which were Drake-Chenault's "Hit Parade '68". This is not my recording (it is Bob Hawkins') but here's a small sample.
I certainly was by no means done with FM, especially WOWO and CKLW. I'd discover more distant stations like WLS, WCFL and WABC.
There wasn't that much interesting on FM at the time, most Beautiful Music or just plain slush. In 1971, (I think) I discovered tropo and caught WRIF, Detroit. Somehow "Ventura Highway" stands out from that experience.
Back to my local WMER, they sold again and dropped Hit Parade, going with a top 40 format, automated (with horrible sounding slow-speed tapes) with a couple of live shows. I saw them broadcasting live from the County Fair (turntables, carts, everything) and I was hooked on wanting to be in radio. I visited the station and sat in on a shift shortly after. Sadly, WMER went bankrupt, and a couple who were part of the crosstown AM/FM combo were appointed bank receivers. The station became WKKI and as I mentioned, had several ownerships and formats including country, AOR and possibly one of the first Transtar A/C affiliates.
I continued with AM...CKLW, WOWO, WMEE (also Fort Wayne) and the shortwave band. I was aware of WDAO, an FM soul station and WTUE, an FM top 40 station in Dayton, just a bit out of local or regional coverage range.
In about 1974 I discovered WLBC-FM, Muncie, Indiana, just in time for the nostalgia craze brought on by American Graffitti and Happy Days. They carried Drake-Chenault's "Solid Gold" with a mix of currents and oldies. It caught me up on oldies I had missed. Also, there was WPTH, Fort Wayne, which carried TM Stereo Rock.
Brief aircheck of WLBC-FM. http://46124.info/FM/Indiana/IN Muncie 104.1 1974 WLBC.mp3
WPTH Fort Wayne: http://46124.info/FM/Indiana/IN Fort Wayne 95.1 1978 WPTH.mp3

The first place my voice was ever heard on the radio was an FM, because the AM had signed off. That was cross-town WCSM. There's a lot more but this about the first 10 years

I was late to the FM game, as was my entire city. Our heritage Top 40 lasted until the very end of 1989, as in December 31st. New Year's Day 1990, it was suddenly playing Frank Sinatra and Perry Como records. That's quite startling for a 15 year old. Tyler-Longview had a limited amount of FM stations allocated to us, because we are halfway between the bigger signals of DFW and SBC. Beautiful Music, Country, and Dudley Waller's put you to sleep K double O I was about all we really had. It was at that point, that I tried out my older brother's preferred radio station, K-TUX 99 from Shreveport. I've never looked back to contemporary hit radio since. I've had the radio bug since I was a wee young lad, as I'm sure most of us did. But that moment, and the loss of K-DOK, was the precise moment I moved to a majority of FM listening.

Still, I sure do enjoy some good old fashioned MW DXing of the AM band, something that is becoming a dying art form. You'll find me lurking around the DX forums on this site frequently.

I knew about FM as soon as I knew about radio, because Dad had a stereo system and listened to the brand new public radio station that signed on in 1974, when I was two. (I work there now!)

But it was AM-only in Mom's car, where WBBF "95BBF" was the usual listening with its top-40 format.

Mom got a new car in 1980, which had FM, and two years later BBF flipped to talk and WPXY-FM went from beautiful music to hot hits. We never really looked back after that; I had my own radio soon after, used AM for DXing, but my regular listening was PXY, its archrival WMJQ, and WBEN-FM out of Buffalo. (At night I listened a bit to WLS in AM stereo, more as a novelty than anything else.)

I'm too young to have ever listened to AM radio by default. By the time I was old enough to have my own taste, AM was exclusively news/talk/sports, nostalgia and religion.

Having said that, the one AM station I listened to a fair bit was WIBC/Indianapolis, by the time I was old enough to drive (late 90s). Part of that is because when I started driving, I started working as a weekend newscaster at a small-time FM, and it was nice to hear how a professional delivered the news.

I quit listening to distant AM stations but I'm not sure why. I guess I just didn't have time any more. But it was something I used to enjoy doing. But I started after I was listening to the high school football game, which I never attended in person, and heard the people from the other school's station were sharing the booth. I wanted to see if I could find it. I found something much better.

I even listened to distant FM stations after we moved to a location where I could pick up a lot of stations along the coast or in Columbia from close to the SC border south of Charlotte.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom