• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBC Call Letters

Here's the Call Letters for CBC radio that goes from CBA-CBZ. Majority of the CBC on the AM uses Radio 1 and Majority of the FM stations unless it's listed uses CBC Radio 2 except for CBF Montreal, CBV Quebec City, and CBJ Chicoutimi which broadcast Radio-Canada the French Equivalent to CBC. Also, I notice that there's no CBB, CBC, CBP, and CBS for CBC call letters.

CBC Call Letters AM STATIONS FM STATIONS LOCATION
CBA 1070 AM (Closed) 95.5 FM (Radio 2) Moncton NB
CBB
CBC
CBD 1110 AM (Closed) 91.3 FM (Radio 1) St. John NB
CBE 1550 AM (Closed) 89.9 FM (Radio 2) Windsor, ON
CBF 690 AM (Closed) 95.1 FM (French) Montreal, QC
CBG 1400 AM Gander, NL
CBH 860 AM (Closed) 102.7 FM (Radio 2) Halifax, NS
CBI 1140 AM 105.1 FM (Radio 2) Sydney, NS
CBJ 1580 AM (Closed) 93.7 FM (French) Chicoutimi, QC
CBK 540 AM 96.9 FM (Radio 2) Regina, SK
CBL 740 AM (Closed) 94.1 FM (Radio 2) Toronto, ON
CBM 940 AM (Closed) 93.5 FM (Radio 2) Montreal, QC
CBN 640 AM 106.9 FM (Radio 2) St. John, NL
CBO 920 AM (Closed) 91.5 FM (Radio 1) Ottawa, ON
CBP
CBQ 800 AM (Closed) 101.7 FM (Radio 2) Thunder Bay, ON
CBR 1010 AM 102.1 FM (Radio 2) Calgary, AB
CBS
CBT 540 AM Gand Falls-Windsor, NL
CBU 690 AM 105.7 FM (Radio 2) Vancouver, BC
CBV 980 AM (Closed) 106.3 FM (French) Quebec City, QC
CBW 990 AM 98.3 FM (Radio 2) Winnipeg, MB
CBX 740 AM 90.9 FM(Radio 2) Edmonton, AB
CBY 990 AM Corner Brook, NL
CBZ 970 AM (Closed) 101.5 FM (Radio 2) Fredriction, NB

The CBA-CBZ block is part of the CAA-CEZ block that is assigned to Chile. They came to an agreement decades ago to allow Canada to use the CBxx callsigns for broadcasting because there is no chance that those stations will be confused with Chilean stations.

I'm not sure that Chile even uses call letters (or AM radio) anymore, but I remember station listings from the 1960s that used CA-CE plus the assigned frequency without the ending zero, such as CB107 on 1070, for their Ancient Modulation stations. Even if the CBC blowtorches could have been heard in Chile, there would be no confusion. Last I checked, Chile doesn't have English or French as a native language.

The CBA-CBZ block is part of the CAA-CEZ block that is assigned to Chile. They came to an agreement decades ago to allow Canada to use the CBxx callsigns for broadcasting because there is no chance that those stations will be confused with Chilean stations.

I'm not sure that Chile even uses call letters (or AM radio) anymore, but I remember station listings from the 1960s that used CA-CE plus the assigned frequency without the ending zero, such as CB107 on 1070, for their Ancient Modulation stations. Even if the CBC blowtorches could have been heard in Chile, there would be no confusion. Last I checked, Chile doesn't have English or French as a native language.

Most of Latin American stations don't use call letter as their principal identity. Some places have older stations that used calls going back 70 to 80 years, but most don't.

In Ecuador in the 60's I wanted to use call letters for one of my stations as the station "name". The licencing board of the government would not allow it. I asked how HCJB was allowed to use calls, and they said "HCJB is an abbreviation for Heralding Christ Jesus' Blessing so it was OK. I dropped the idea.

In Argentina, about 18 years ago, I needed call letters for Mega FM for a contract for a US music scheduling software service. Nobody at the station knew them. It took two days for someone at the government to locate the calls. Some early Argentine stations used calls and their name, but in the modern era they were not used.

None of the stations I have worked with or done research for in Chile used the calls on the air. Oh, and there are plenty of AMs still on the air there, but fewer every year.

This is a very old list. CBL 740 moved to FM quite a few years ago.
When CKO (news) radio went off the air forever, it gave an opening on FM for CBC radio 1 to move to the 99.1 FM spot on the dial in Toronto.
It may be that some of the other (closed) AM CBC's are now on FM also.

AM 740 Toronto is currently Zoomer radio: https://www.zoomerradio.ca/ They've been broadcasting @ 740 for almost 20 years. (They were at 1250 AM before that)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom