• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ed Walsh back at WBZ (AM)???

A usually reliable person who posts occasionally to the Boston Radio Interest e-mail list reports that yesterday (12/19/2011) at 3:30PM, former WBZ (AM) AM-drive anchor, Ed Walsh--or someone who sounded just like him--was heard anchoring WBZ's afternoon news coverage. Anybody know anything about this? Walsh was kind of young to retire when he retired a year or so ago. I always thought that Walsh had the most engaging voice and delivery of anyone who had worked as a news anchor at WBZ (and I'm including in that group Gary LaPierre, who is most everyone else's favorite).

I don't remember where he was going to live but I don't think it was in the area (Maine?). He could have been in for a day but I doubt it.

Blackroc said:
I don't remember where he was going to live but I don't think it was in the area (Maine?). He could have been in for a day but I doubt it.

If I'm not mistaken, Walsh is from the Boston area and still has lots of family in this area. Indeed, I believe that the reason he gave for leaving WCBS (AM) for WBZ maybe eight years ago was that he wanted to be near his relatives. I think he has at least one son or daughter who graduated from college (BC?) within the past year or so and may have settled outside of the Boston area. Seems as though having a child who lives elsewhere might have entered into his decision to leave WBZ; not being tied to one market would have given him more flexibility to see his kid.

Anyhow, on the Boston Radio Interest list, Donna Halper reported that a source at 1170 SFR told her that Walsh would be doing fill-in work on WBZ as needed (and when he is available). I suspect that I am not the only Ed Walsh fan in this area who will appreciate the chance to hear him now and then. Too bad it won't be on any sort of predictable schedule.

DanStrassberg said:
Blackroc said:

If I'm not mistaken, Walsh is from the Boston area and still has lots of family in this area. Indeed, I believe that the reason he gave for leaving WCBS (AM) for WBZ maybe eight years ago was that he wanted to be near his relatives. I think he has at least one son or daughter who graduated from college (BC?) within the past year or so and may have settled outside of the Boston area. Seems as though having a child who lives elsewhere might have entered into his decision to leave WBZ; not being tied to one market would have given him more flexibility to see his kid.

Anyhow, on the Boston Radio Interest list, Donna Halper reported that a source at 1170 SFR told her that Walsh would be doing fill-in work on WBZ as needed (and when he is available). I suspect that I am not the only Ed Walsh fan in this area who will appreciate the chance to hear him now and then. Too bad it won't be on any sort of predictable schedule.

You sound like a guy's authorized biographer.

DanStrassberg said:
A usually reliable person who posts occasionally to the Boston Radio Interest e-mail list reports that yesterday (12/19/2011) at 3:30PM, former WBZ (AM) AM-drive anchor, Ed Walsh--or someone who sounded just like him--was heard anchoring WBZ's afternoon news coverage. Anybody know anything about this? Walsh was kind of young to retire when he retired a year or so ago. I always thought that Walsh had the most engaging voice and delivery of anyone who had worked as a news anchor at WBZ (and I'm including in that group Gary LaPierre, who is most everyone else's favorite).

Yes, I can also confirm it was Ed Walsh. I heard him on 12/19/11 anchoring at 6PM. I was surprised also.

Speaking of "retired" WBZ personalities who continue to do some work for WBZ after they retire (and there seems to be several), has Bob Raleigh ever filled-in overnight since he hung up the headphones? I remember he said he was asked if he would do so at the time he retired, but, unless I missed it, he never has.

I heard Ed too - it was a nice surprise. Joe Mathieu has been doing a great job with Deb Lawler on the morning news block - I think he was a good addition to the station.

It seems like Bob Raleigh will not give interviews or appear on Steve Leville's show. Just cut the cord and wants to be left alone.

spt87 said:
It seems like Bob Raleigh will not give interviews or appear on Steve Leville's show. Just cut the cord and wants to be left alone.

The Boston radio audience gets from Bob Raleigh the most wonderful gift the man could ever bestow--his total absence from the airwaves. Thank you, Bob! Best radio-related decision you ever made. I hope you never have second thoughts about not appearing.

DanStrassberg said:
The Boston radio audience gets from Bob Raleigh the most wonderful gift the man could ever bestow--his total absence from the airwaves. Thank you, Bob! Best radio-related decision you ever made. I hope you never have second thoughts about not appearing.

co-signed

I couldn't agree more. The guy had the biggest ego of anyone I have ever worked with. I tuned in the first time Steve had him on. Steve asked him what he had been doing in his retirement. Raleigh replied "well we have been doing a lot of traveling." Oh nice Steve said where have you been. Raleigh replied we have been to Washington DC and to New York City twice. That was typical Raleigh he had a very limited sense of the world around him.

vmorrison said:
I couldn't agree more. The guy had the biggest ego of anyone I have ever worked with.

But there is another guy who, though very talented, never, AFAIK, had a steady gig at a major Boston station. (I never considered AM 1430 or WBOQ to be major Boston stations.) He appeals to the same clique of blue-hairs as Raleigh and he seems to be a thoroughly delightful guy with a droll sense of humor. He currently does voice-over work for a handful of advertisers (Eagle Bank, Reed's Ferry, Rite Window--which is very likely owned by the same guy as Reed's Ferry). I'm referring to Bill Wightman. I assume that he is currently mostly working outside of radio and that the v-o work simply augments his income. I think Wightman would make a dynamite fill-in for Steve LeVeille or replacement for Jordan Rich. I mean, Morgan White and Bradley Jay do wear kinda thin after a few dozen appearances. I think Wightman has the same talent as a raconteur that LeVeille has and could fill in for Steve in a way that would likely please most of his regular listeners. Wightman really deserves a much bigger niche in Boston radio.

Of course Bob had an ego. But he was a unique. His type, is gone forever. I miss the guy.
You laughed with him, you laughed at him (a lot). Still a big talent.

I never thought he had much talent. On more than one occasion I heard him do Jay Leno''s monologue word for word when he opened his show at 12:05.

I remember one time we were doing a week of remotes at the Topsfield Fair. Everyone showed up in casual dress jeans etc. I will never forget the reaction wen we lookied out the window of The Incredible Broadcast Machine to see him walking down the dirt path in a 3 piece suit and tie.

For the record, Ed Walsh has a home near Augusta Maine, I believe on a quiet lake. It was his vacation home when he worked in NYC and at WBZ. I don't know if he has relocated there permanently.

I worked with Ed and always thought he was a good guy. Glad to hear he's back on the air, even if simply as a holiday fill-in.

Gregg
[email protected]

I remember one time we were doing a week of remotes at the Topsfield Fair. Everyone showed up in casual dress jeans etc. I will never forget the reaction wen we lookied out the window of The Incredible Broadcast Machine to see him walking down the dirt path in a 3 piece suit and tie.

In fairness, Bob even looked good when he dressed down. Raleigh was the slick-fielding shortstop on the WBZ All-Star softball team when I played on it (early 1980s), and he was probably the best all-around player on the team.

Regards,
TSB

Don't knock anyone who survived the way Rolle survived. I don't think he ever trusted management, but then nobody who trusts management ever survives in radio.

Rolle managed to spite Mac Richmond by taking his house name with him when he left to go crosstown in DC and without the epic legal battles Richman Bros. had in Boston with Steve Fredericks on the name issue or Jerry Williams on the compete issue; got a gig at BZ when on the verge of getting blown out at HDH (Rolle: "I have an offer from WBZ." GM:" Better take it"); started immediately with a direct format competitor with no non-compete issues; moved to overnight talk, bounced back to midday when the flavor of the month didn't work out, and went back to o-nites when MOR gave way to AC.

Clearly he did something right, nobody survives that long in a major market without talent and without knowing how to survive. His act didn't appeal to me, but I was never in his demo; he's one of a long line of radio performers whose act held no particular appeal to me, but who I respect for doing it well enough to survive a long time. BZ likes to tout the longevity of its stars, but no jock/talk host other than DeSuze and Maynard lasted even half as long as BR.

Criticizing talent for dressing up for a remote while working an MOR format is patently absurd.

Awww, I think some of y'all are being a bit tough on Bob Raleigh.
He was pleasant background chatter for me in many different overnight working situations over the years, and he was kind to his callers.

I gotta say that in the last week two things popped up to remind me of Bob. Kind of odd, caused me to find this thread via google:
1) I ran across a "I'm a Bob Raleigh W BEE Zer" bumper sticker in a box from a move from probably 20 years ago. I think I "won" it playing a trivia game or some such when I was an overnight cashier at a convenience store. OMG, that's gotta be close to 30 years ago.
2) Had flipped on my tv & cable box in my bedroom for a little music and Bob's theme (IIRC) song "Don't Be That Way" came on. I turn on my TV in my bedroom maybe once every 2 or three months. Maybe. I've played a music channel on it maybe 3 times in 4 or 5 years.

I'd like to hear a post-partum(? Lol) interview with Bob-- I read here that he's done at least one. Does anyone know if there is one floating around somewhere?

Thanks!
RadioRonaldo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom