• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

GateHouse Media poised to buy Gannett

https://nypost.com/2019/07/18/gatehouse-media-poised-to-buy-gannett/

GateHouse is in talks to get Gannet the owners of USA Today.

GateHouse Media and its publicly traded publisher New Media Investment Group is deep in talks to buy USA Today owner Gannett — a merger that would make America’s biggest newspaper chain even bigger, The Post has learned.

The two parties had been previously reported to be in talks, but it was unclear until now that the deal was for the smaller Gatehouse to buy Gannett, which is already the biggest newspaper chain in the US by circulation.

Fairport, NY-based GateHouse — which owns nearly 700 papers across 39 states, including 156 dailies like the Columbus Dispatch in Ohio — is owned by Fortress Investment Group, a hedge fund controlled by business tycoon Wesley Edens.

“There’s about a 75 percent chance it happens,” a source close to the deal said. The two sides thought they were close to a deal earlier this month, the source said.

I used to get USA Today all the time back in the 1980's and 90's.great paper at the time and I love their format. It was great getting Wednesdays copy to see the weekly Nielsen TV ratings when I was really in to the ratings........Later on I got Broadcasting and Cable .

It will be interesting to see what happens to USA Today if the buyout goes through...

I used to get USA Today all the time back in the 1980's and 90's.great paper at the time and I love their format. It was great getting Wednesdays copy to see the weekly Nielsen TV ratings when I was really in to the ratings........Later on I got Broadcasting and Cable .

It will be interesting to see what happens to USA Today if the buyout goes through...

It'll be far more interesting to see what happens to the local fishwraps that Gannett owns. As in "How many will still be around?"

It'll be far more interesting to see what happens to the local fishwraps that Gannett owns. As in "How many will still be around?"

Gatehouse appears to own a lot of small market dailies, so they're used to that situation. Some of the other things Gannett owns might go away.

Usa Today still a decent newspaper. They have a good tv listings page still they focus too much on celebrity stories though sometimes.

Oh but usa today cut their weekend tv listings they use to have friday through sunday listings in the weekend edition but stopped that for some reason they just do Friday night basically in weekend edition.

Likely massive staff cuts at Gannett's locals if it goes through. A shift in editorial perspective is likely as well as Gannett went from generally being slightly right of center in general to way left in recent years. USA Today has been the most prominent example of this IMO.

USA Today used to be a regular read for me on between-class breaks during college.

I loved the sports page and that section where they ran an unusual story from each of the fifty states.
It was the internet before we had the internet.

Like a lot of other things technology is putting it out to pasture.

USA Today used to be a regular read for me on between-class breaks during college.

I loved the sports page and that section where they ran an unusual story from each of the fifty states.
It was the internet before we had the internet.

Like a lot of other things technology is putting it out to pasture.

Yes I love the paper .Very full feature paper.Its one paper that I read the whole thing.Not like the boring locals.You read a couple sections and get bored with it and ends up on the floor of the bird cage.....

I have not picked up a copy of USA Today but I will the next time I'm out on at the store .I will.

Meantime I hope GateHouse Media dont ruin it like these other takeovers like the TV Guide.

Yes I love the paper .Very full feature paper.Its one paper that I read the whole thing.Not like the boring locals.You read a couple sections and get bored with it and ends up on the floor of the bird cage.....

I have not picked up a copy of USA Today but I will the next time I'm out on at the store .I will.

Meantime I hope GateHouse Media dont ruin it like these other takeovers like the TV Guide.

Why doesnt USA TODAY still have the saturday and sunday tv listings in the weekend edition why was that stopped? Does anybody know by chance thanks.

Why doesnt USA TODAY still have the saturday and sunday tv listings in the weekend edition why was that stopped? Does anybody know by chance thanks.

They dramatically shrunk the size of the paper. Since a lot of people rely on on screen guides, I suspect the editors felt this was something that could be cut without impacting most of its readers.

More likely people are going online for their TV listing like I do all the time.USA Today and others loose ..I'm still surprise that some papers bother with the listings any more or even printing its standalone you get in the Sundays paper. .I gave up TV Guide when they went to the tabloid size and dump all the non prime time listings.That was a big mistake in what they done.I bet they lost plenty subscribers over that move....Plus by that time I was already online using GIST listings .Now I use Z2it for my listings.Its free...

Last edited:
Sad to hear that some people will go to the unemployment line.Thats always the case with buyouts and mergers..These conglomerates buy up their competition like Pac Man and have no competitors to compete with...The same with TV and radio mergers.And other businesses .They should be blocked instead of passing the buck ....

Yup. Their business model is "sunsetting".
Suck as much profit as you can for as long as you can from a dying enterprise by cutting the payroll.
It goes on in radio and many other industries.

In the article, it talks about how they'll be converting the papers to digital, so they have a long term plan for the properties.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom