• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My Network TV

S

searadiofreak

My local cable system is promoting this as a new channel. But isn't it just the old UPN/WB trying to reinvent intself? Is this anything to get excited about, or just another retread of sub-standard cable programming? I understand Fox owns it, but what does that mean for the viewer? Seems that a lot of the same crap is being recycled with different brand names. And please, someone take RTV off my cable lineup. There has gotta be something better.

searadiofreak said:
My local cable system is promoting this as a new channel. But isn't it just the old UPN/WB trying to reinvent intself? Is this anything to get excited about, or just another retread of sub-standard cable programming? I understand Fox owns it, but what does that mean for the viewer? Seems that a lot of the same crap is being recycled with different brand names. And please, someone take RTV off my cable lineup. There has gotta be something better.

The UPN/WB is now the CW, not MY TV. However, I don't watch neither during network primetime. I wish UPN would've sticked around.

ShawtyBlack_ATL said:
searadiofreak said:

The UPN/WB is now the CW, not MY TV. However, I don't watch neither during network primetime. I wish UPN would've sticked around.

I wish the WB had stuck around as well. I personally think the WB had better programming between WB & UPN. What CW has now seems to be crap to me. I don't care for the new Melrose Place or 90210, even if I'm considered out of core for these programs.

As for My TV; I don't find this network worth watching. WPWR-TV in Chicago is my local My Network station that is network owned. WPWR-TV was better programmed in my opinion under Newsweb Corporation, than when Fox Corporation took over the station. When Newsweb owned WPWR-TV, they had better programs for a locally owned company, and for most of its time under Newsweb, they were an independent station. It was still better programmed under UPN, since UPN was only during primetime. Now, Fox just ruined the station overall.

I watch the Chicago stations. I already deleted ION WCPX 38 from my channel list and WPWR is next. I am at the point where I don't even know if its worth keeping because MY 50 is awful now. I noticed that they did move Seinfeld over from WFLD but they have also removed shows that I used to watch like Still Standing. A large portion of their programming now consists of large 'Paid Programming' blocks (like ION ) and their network programming has now shifted to reruns of "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader". I remember the good days of WPWR and wish that they would just turn it back into an independent station like it used to be. I don't know if all My Network TV stations are programming as bad as the Chicago one but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

searadiofreak said:

This network has been around for quite a few years now though. What's new about it?

kms575 said:
searadiofreak said:

This network has been around for quite a few years now though. What's new about it?

Maybe for the op, a My Network affiliate was picked up in his/her market. As for Retro TV; I don't know if that's on cable/satellite, or just on subchannels. So far, no one in Chicago will pickup Retro TV, because at this time, no one shows interest. The only station that might pick up the station, if they weren't programming something similar, is WCIU, or one of the 2 low power sister stations that already airs MeTV & MeToo.

mime257 said:
I watch the Chicago stations. I already deleted ION WCPX 38 from my channel list and WPWR is next. I am at the point where I don't even know if its worth keeping because MY 50 is awful now. I noticed that they did move Seinfeld over from WFLD but they have also removed shows that I used to watch like Still Standing. A large portion of their programming now consists of large 'Paid Programming' blocks (like ION ) and their network programming has now shifted to reruns of "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader". I remember the good days of WPWR and wish that they would just turn it back into an independent station like it used to be. I don't know if all My Network TV stations are programming as bad as the Chicago one but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

I wish I could delete just the main channel of WCPX, as the programming on Ion overall sucks, but subchannel Ion Life puts the main channel to shame. However, my Magnavox digital box doesn't allow me to delete select channels with subchannels. I either keep the entire channel, or delete the entire channel, along with any subchannels. So, if I wanna delete WCPX (PSIP 38), I have to delete all of 38, plus 38.2, 38.3, & 38.4. I can't just delete 38.1, 38.2, & 38.4 (which I don't watch at all). The way my box picks up the channels, is it goes by the RF channel when done by scan, and then uses PSIP to tell it what to be called. If subchannels are detected, my box will detect them, and if new subchannels are added at a future date, my box will find them automatically, and not require a new scan, like my ATI PC TV tuner card does. The TV tuner card for the PC requires a new scan to find new channels (including subchannels), as subchannels are counted as separate channels, where my digital box doesn't automatically count subchannels as separate channels. So my TV tuner card will allow me to delete select channels and/or subchannels. Unlike my digital box, my TV tuner card will allow me to select PSIP or RF channel for my channel lineup. I choose for that, RF channel, as it forces me to learn the new channel lineup.

I have 4 brands of digital converter boxes (Tivax, Motorola, Digital Stream and Channel Master) and the only one which does not allow accept/delete by subchannel is the Moto box.

My Network was better last season. They had two nights of movies, a funniest videos/bloopers show hosted by Arsenio Hall, a show that revealed magicians' secrets, reruns of "In Living Color" and Forrest Whtaker's "Twilight Zone", a new sitcom similar to but nearly as good as "Fresh Prince of Bel Air", a prank show hosted by Chris Rock's brother, celebrity exposes, and a couple of shows similar to "Cops". I watched one where OJ was taken to jail. Everyone was so nice to him, and he was so nice to everyone. It was nice to see after all the terrible things said about him over the years.

They also had awards shows. They still have wrestling and one night of movies. I was tempted by "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader" but I just watch so many shows, and unless they would do reruns of the old ones (which I never watched because there was too much on) I just don't see the point.

If you like "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" (which I guess I could) or "The Unit" then My Network has those.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom