• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mystery Oldies and Classic Rock 92.9 probably already discussed but here’s another thread about it.

This station has a big following among disillusioned former listeners of a certain station or stations that used to play the music they do. Yet they don’t even say who or where they are. Just generic imaging with eagles screeching and other retro sounding stuff to go along with it. Nice big signal until it gets chomped on by the station in Bellingham. I got this station all the way down toward Aberdeen Centralia Olympia Montesano and Tacoma. This has to be making someone who runs ads a bit cranky as this station does not. Not one ad yet a big enough signal to cover all those places and then some.

They’re playing a Xmas song right now so apparently they/it knows what time of year it is. So there’s that. I must say this station has a much broader variety of music, gigantic signal coverage by comparison, bigger than any of the other stations based in Aberdeen and Olympia, and no ads. That’s a dangerous combination and probably pulling in listeners from the other broadcasters at an alarming rate.

The Grays Harbor stations don’t put a listenable signal into Olympia, or Centralia Chehalis, this 92.9 does AND has a signal in Aberdeen and Hoquiam. It also has a listenable signal around Tacoma and Downtown Tacoma in 104.1. The Olympia stations DO NOT. Even 96.1 sounds staticky in Downtown Tacoma.This 92.9 is far superior in their signal and variety to all the other stations in those areas. They even sound better in most of those locations than the Seattle stations. Yet they don’t even have an ID at the end of the hour saying who they are. I don’t think the KXRY people are the responsible party. Seems like too big of a signal for that other station K6 mentioned.

104.1 Tacoma, and a signal in Aberdeen? All points to Brian Spencer, doesn't it? KGHO-LP and translators? 92.7 Aberdeen gets out real well, up to Moclips but spotty.
Back in August 2020, I hiked to the top of Thorp Mountain, north of Kachess Lake. Elev. under 5900. Many Olympia/Aberdeen stations and translators at the top viewpoint looking over Rainier, the Enchantments and the peaks near Snoqualmie Pass. Noted a 92.9 mixed with KISM and KDBL that IDed as "Olympia's Classic Rock 'n Roll". Suspected it was K225BY, // KRXY-HD2 or 3 or whatever. I wonder when that all changed?

101.9 K270CJ (Radio KYA) was pretty strong up at the viewpoint. Fun to hear the vintage jingles and 1960s-1970s music. I believe they are now Super CFL. And so was 101.1 K266BM, which was relaying nothing but static and 60hz humming instead of KGTK...oh there were voices, somewhere in the muck.

Generic Eagle screeching? Paying tribute to KFMY 'The Eagle' 97.7, I see!

Now they’re saying what time and it is and oOoOoOoOhhhhh! They played a DOUBLE BEATLE BOOGIE!!!! TWO Beatles Songs,, IN A ROW!!! Simply brilliant. These guys are either really stupid or they’re absolute geniuses. Haven’t decided yet.

Many of the signals that originate from Capitol Peak seem to struggle after dipping down into Tacoma. Too much land in the way to provide clear reception. 102.9 faired a bit better with a higher ERP, it seemed. It seems like this mystery 92.9 is not on Capitol Peak.

Speaking of KYA, the internet stream is still around but the 101.9 is now doing sports. I wish there was a stream for KGHO, as when I've heard that station they've sounded good, but can't listen for long as I've never been in a position to do so.

I put the station on and listened for a few hours today. Nice background music without all the disjointed commercials with the wrong type of music for format etc, (hip hop beat record scratch etc blah blah blah about stuff) or opening the mic without anything to say other than telling me to go to a station website to find out more about some promo every other break, “edge mongering” find out more after this... lasers, pizzazz and other clutter that the big stations have. Nice audio break from that mess.

You forgot the constant sweepers to "listen on your smart speaker!! Tell your Alexa to play (XXX)!"
I'm not that lazy, thank you. I can reach my hands to the ON button on my radio and tune to the correct frequency.

You forgot the constant sweepers to "listen on your smart speaker!! Tell your Alexa to play (XXX)!"
I'm not that lazy, thank you. I can reach my hands to the ON button on my radio and tune to the correct frequency.
I also don’t care for devices that have been theorized to listen in on your conversations either.

The station in question is K225DC — which is supposed to be 100 watts dead north directional from Capital Peak. It is also supposed to be translating KGTK 920AM out of Olympia…

A couple obvious things… 1. It obviously is not translating KGTK and 2. It obviously is not directional.

Furthermore, I believe for a VERY short time it was licensed 250 watts non-directional from Capital Peak — which at that height puts it at the proposed “C4” range — IIRC when I ran numbers a few years ago for up there a Class A is in the 140 watt range and a C3 is in the 550 range… so 250 certainly throws a nice signal from up there, with some expected shadows around Tumwater.

Another interesting thing — the directional pattern is a response to KVNW being licensed to Napavie as a 92.9 C3… this was a paper station for a number of years. It was recently sold to Premiere Broadcasting — I’m sure Derrick will build out since he spent the money — and even if 92.9 in Olympia conformed to that crazy pattern they supposedly are using, would be wiped away…

Again, not to mention that they are essentially a pirate since they aren’t translating a proper station… listen to 92.7 or 99.9 in Aberdeen and you’ll hear the same jocks and same imaging… and basically the guy behind it lol

Here’s the thing about KGHO, I honestly don’t understand why they have set up this network of translators (or how they even afford it in the first place). I genuinely do like what they are offering in terms of programming, but they are using an incredible amount of bandwidth to do it. From my perspective, I think I would have at least looked into the possibility of signing on with a larger signal that covers at least one geographical area completely. Then again, I’m sure that’s much more expensive than what they’re currently doing.

I agree completely with Bob. This is a station that I would genuinely like to listen to, yet you really can’t do that when every translator puts out such a tiny signal. This current signal on 92.9 sounds like the best shot that anyone has of hearing it so far!

Yes, 92.9 is operating illegally since it is licensed as a TRANSLATOR, and doesn't have an originating station, and is not being honest with the FCC regarding this. Northwest Rock n Roll Preservation Society doesn't really exist, except on paper. I don't really care if Brian Spencer (Brian Paul Kelly) operates what is in essence a pirate station, but those of us who pay rather large Annual FCC fees, and adhere to stiff Federal Regulations don't appreciate it.

As far as KGHO-LP goes, an LPFM is non-commercial, and the FCC Regs allow a 100 watt LPFM to serve as originating station for 250 watt FM translators. Makes absolutely no sense to most of us, but Northwest Rock n Roll Preservation Society is in fact a fabrication.

If the FCC still had field offices in this century, they would likely be able to shut down illicit operators. Meanwhile, as legitimate operators we pay our Music Licensing fees to ASCAP, BMI, GMR, SESAC, etc, and adhere to numerous requirements, while hobby stations get away with ignoring all the rules.

Other than that, I have no opinion on this.

Makes absolutely no sense to most of us, but Northwest Rock n Roll Preservation Society is in fact a fabrication.

And from my point of view is doing the opposite of what it's intended to do. Most people might feel as long as the station plays what I like, I don't care about the dirty part of it. But apparently this station doesn't pay the licensing fees that everyone else does for the music it plays. If it was honest about preserving rock & roll, it would at least make voluntary contributions to assist in music preservation. Otherwise they're just stealing. I've had lengthy discussions with similar groups who feel the artists are either dead or rich, and that should absolve them of paying royalties. But it doesn't.

FCC Be like “A station running this illegally probably doesn’t care about us and wouldn’t answer the door anyway. Leav’m alone Lou”.

And from my point of view is doing the opposite of what it's intended to do. Most people might feel as long as the station plays what I like, I don't care about the dirty part of it. But apparently this station doesn't pay the licensing fees that everyone else does for the music it plays. If it was honest about preserving rock & roll, it would at least make voluntary contributions to assist in music preservation. Otherwise they're just stealing. I've had lengthy discussions with similar groups who feel the artists are either dead or rich, and that should absolve them of paying royalties. But it doesn't.
I definitely see it as a problem if a station isn’t playing by the same rules as someone else who is. I would love to listen to the music that is aired on KGHO on the radio, and I’m sure there are plenty of people who feel that way. With that being said, it’s not like anybody could if they even wanted to, as it’s difficult to hear any of the signals they put out. I also don’t see how it makes any sense for this station to attempt to broadcast anywhere in thurston or pierce counties when it’s an Aberdeen LP.
I’m sure the folks behind KGHO wouldn’t like that, but it’s true. They weren’t happy when I called their signal a “waste of bandwidth” nearly ten years ago. I didn’t mean to be offensive (and should have clarified what I meant at the time), but I don’t think the FM band was intended to be used this way. Similarly, the entire band suffers when there are stations that aren’t supposed to be there (92.9).

Last edited:
Simply put, I just like having the station on and hearing music I don’t hear elsewhere with occasional time and eagle screeches without all of the clutter and jumbled up noise the other stations have. I don’t care about the legality of it. I’m sure Bill and the rest have bigger things to be concerned about as does the fcc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom