• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Imaging at 1010 WINS?

Streaming 1010 WINS tonight with Paul James, they've switched over to a whole new imaging package starting with the 9PM Eastern newscast.

All new sounder, new theme music (which has no relation to the legacy theme), the "motion mixes" headlines are gone, replaced with a continuous music bed, and there's a new voiceover guy.

It's jarringly different.

The prior imaging was used all day even through the 8PM shift with Larry Mullins and Lori Madden, switching over when Paul James came on at 9PM.

And.... they're back to normal for overnights with Stephanie Officer.

Clearly they're looking at an updated package. I didn't like it.

And.... they're back to normal for overnights with Stephanie Officer.

Clearly they're looking at an updated package. I didn't like it.

Radio geeks always resist new things like this.. people were wringing their hands when KYW changed up stuff..... radio geeks prefer heritage it seems, over something new.. well guess what? most of us arent the audience.. and freshening up imaging is needed sometimes and quite often a good idea!

I am not in NY and listen via the stream. I have switched over the WCBS Newsradio 88 because of the 1010 WINS announcers broadcasting from home. Some sound like they are using a webcam microphone (complete with the bathroom echo) and it is annoying to listen to for any length of time.

My favorite imaging for a news station was WNEW 99.1 in DC. CBS did a very good job on the imaging/sounders for that station.

Radio geeks always resist new things like this.. people were wringing their hands when KYW changed up stuff..... radio geeks prefer heritage it seems, over something new.. well guess what? most of us arent the audience.. and freshening up imaging is needed sometimes and quite often a good idea!

Dumping the opening sounder & main theme, which, while heavily updated, has been in place for 40 (?) years, would be a big change.

I am not in NY and listen via the stream. I have switched over the WCBS Newsradio 88 because of the 1010 WINS announcers broadcasting from home. Some sound like they are using a webcam microphone (complete with the bathroom echo) and it is annoying to listen to for any length of time.

My favorite imaging for a news station was WNEW 99.1 in DC. CBS did a very good job on the imaging/sounders for that station.
Variety of quality on the audio from the anchors working from home.

Larry Mullins, Brian Britain, Donna Vaughan and reporter John Montone sound like they're in the studio but social media indicates they're working from home.

Paul James, Mario Bosquez, & Stephanie Officer sound like they're broadcasting from a marble walled room. After nearly a year of this, you'd think they could make some changes to their setup to improve the quality.

Kathleen Marple Kalb, per her Instagram, moved her setup to a different room a few weeks ago, and her quality has dropped considerably. She should move it all back to where it was before.

It's weird to not hear the fake teletype noise in the background as they are reading the news. That's a sad end. I do wish they would go back to their classic branding and sounders, but that's the business.

It's weird to not hear the fake teletype noise in the background as they are reading the news. That's a sad end. I do wish they would go back to their classic branding and sounders, but that's the business.
That's been gone for a while.

I think losing the legacy opening theme to their newsblocks is a big loss with this package.

I still miss hearing the classic KNX traffic horn sounder before each traffic report from KNX 1070 in Los Angeles. The classic KNX traffic sounder had several horn-like beeps that faded in, then out, and repeated several times. I still don’t like their updated sound effects and it has probably been in use for 10 years now.

While I think this new package is a downgrade, I can only assume the reason for discontinuing the MotionMixes was to make the board ops lives a bit easier with all the anchors using Comrex portables and whatnot.

With MotionMixes, the anchors used to fire off the transitions on their own. In the off times I've listened to WINS, I often found the timing of the MotionMixes to be very off or straight up completely messed up, especially on weekends. One continuous bed makes things a lot easier.

It would've been nice if they could've kept the overall theme the same and not nearly as different as it is now, but things change I guess.

Here is the first second on this video from when the Perfect Strangers Crew host specials for ABC. Yes the 1010 WINS Sounder pop up in the first second of the clip.

While I think this new package is a downgrade, I can only assume the reason for discontinuing the MotionMixes was to make the board ops lives a bit easier with all the anchors using Comrex portables and whatnot.

With MotionMixes, the anchors used to fire off the transitions on their own. In the off times I've listened to WINS, I often found the timing of the MotionMixes to be very off or straight up completely messed up, especially on weekends. One continuous bed makes things a lot easier.

It would've been nice if they could've kept the overall theme the same and not nearly as different as it is now, but things change I guess.

Yeah, I'm sure this is to make it a bit easier to get those transitions right. Kathleen Marple Kalb (whose sound quality has degraded markedly since she moved to a different room in her house - per instagram - a few weeks ago) is using a laptop with just the laptop monitor, so there's no way she was triggering those remotely.

I think its the loss of the heritage sounder that is so shocking. How long had that been around? 40 years? There are other parts of the new package that still are tied into the previous package - both the traffic bed and the music bed at :59 after for the weather and editor/writer credits - clearly are a nod to the prior version, but updated.

Here's the classic sounder in Goodfellas with the late Paul Smith

I'm guessing the Perfect Strangers crew (Owned by Miller-Boyett Lorimar and WB,) were unaware that the 1010 WINS radio sounder was actually used as a news theme in radio. But I get it the telegraph part sounded like Cool Hand Luke Tar Sequence theme that the ABC Owned stations like KABC-TV, WABC-TV and KGO-TV used at the time. ABC Entertainment and the production crew from Perfect Strangers thought as long as they are not using any actual news themes that ABC O&O's or contract affiliates were airing then they were clear to do so.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom