• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

On Deck at The CW....NASCAR

Lots of Nascar! The entire Xfinity series, all 33 weeks for the first time on a single outlet beginning in 2025 (Next year is the last for the FOX/NBC/USA Cable shared contract) This will give Nextstar a little time to settle their DirecTV dispute.

Xfinity ( the triple A series of NASCAR) yawn.....

NASCAR is dying, it will be interesting to see who/how a new contract for the "Cup" series goes.

I find the SRX series a lot more fun to watch

Lots of Nascar! The entire Xfinity series, all 33 weeks for the first time on a single outlet beginning in 2025 (Next year is the last for the FOX/NBC/USA Cable shared contract) This will give Nextstar a little time to settle their DirecTV dispute.

Congrats to Nexstar making the move to have the CW as a major network.

NASCAR knows their target audience I think this is a great move!!
My employer and his family used to RACE in Cup, the team was honored before a race recently, one of their cars is in a museum

NOBODY from their small little team watches the races anymore, and neither do I

It is more like IROC than NASCAR

NASCAR was more like WWF than car racing, lots of it was fixed, and even today I suspect things are not on the up and up

They went to ACT for 6 years due to NASCAR screwing with them constantly, fining them for no reason.... the fans were passing the hat to pay the fines, The team refused to take the money or pay the fines. Finally a track owner told the France family to knock it the F off or he would not host a race weekend at his track

The joke in the shop a few weeks ago when the invite came to appear at the race was they wanted one of the cars there. The closest car was actually in a museum down the street. It was decided the car was staying at the museum where it is a huge local attraction. When I asked what they were going to tell NASCAR when the car didn't show up, the answer was "it failed tech" the same BS line NASCAR gave to them constantly.

I'll spend the $5.00 and spend a Sunday afternoon at Hudson Speedway before I sit in front of a TV and watch that crappy product....

NASCAR viewership is in the gutter, attendance at the tracks is way off.

Viewership is down 12% this year alone, and it has dropped double digits in previous years too

Anyone tuning into the race today?

The stands at Richmond, in the heart of NASCAR country are MAYBE half full, there are whole sections that are empty.
it's Summer in Richmond, it's too freaking hot outside, people don't attend races if the track is hotter than hell during the day, hence why they always tried in the past to put race at Texas Motor Speedway in the early Spring or late Fall, cause Texas is freaking hot in the Summer, the only times they did race at Texas in the Summer was during 2020 when Covid made them run the "Spring" Texas race in late July and the 2021 All Star race, also Texas hosted a late Spring race (last year's all star race the weekend before the Coca-Cola 600, but the weather was cooler than normal for mid/late May in North Texas), and held a race in September last year, which was very early in the Fall as early Fall in North Texas is still freaking hot, but not as hot as "Peak Summer" which is what we in Texas are dealing with now as usually in North Texas, we are at our hottest between July 19th to August 14 with our average high of 97°F during that time, and this week we are expected to be in between 100°F to 107°F during the week this week (thanks to the country wide heat dome covering a majority of the US right now).

The fact is that this, when you peel off the faded glitter of the NASCAR brand, is minor league racing. It attracts minor league crowds and, most likely, minor league ratings. A sport of dubious integrity with no big names to attract attention and no interest from gamblers might as well not exist at all.

The fact is that this, when you peel off the faded glitter of the NASCAR brand, is minor league racing. It attracts minor league crowds and, most likely, minor league ratings.
NASCAR Xfinity races on FS1 and USA often get over a million viewers. 1.2 million in Chicago, 1.3 million at Talledega, etc.

For some comparison, that's roughly 2.5x the audience that WWE's "NXT" feeder series draws. I'd argue NASCAR Xfinity probably earns the best ratings of any "minor league" other than NCAA football.

it's Summer in Richmond, it's too freaking hot outside, people don't attend races if the track is hotter than hell during the day, hence why they always tried in the past to put race at Texas Motor Speedway in the early Spring or late Fall, cause Texas is freaking hot in the Summer, the only times they did race at Texas in the Summer was during 2020 when Covid made them run the "Spring" Texas race in late July and the 2021 All Star race, also Texas hosted a late Spring race (last year's all star race the weekend before the Coca-Cola 600, but the weather was cooler than normal for mid/late May in North Texas), and held a race in September last year, which was very early in the Fall as early Fall in North Texas is still freaking hot, but not as hot as "Peak Summer" which is what we in Texas are dealing with now as usually in North Texas, we are at our hottest between July 19th to August 14 with our average high of 97°F during that time, and this week we are expected to be in between 100°F to 107°F during the week this week (thanks to the country wide heat dome covering a majority of the US right now).
I almost passed out from trying to read that whole sentence without taking a breath!

But you're correct. Richmond weather during summer is both hot and very humid and the track is a short track. A miserable combination.

The fact is that this, when you peel off the faded glitter of the NASCAR brand, is minor league racing. It attracts minor league crowds and, most likely, minor league ratings. A sport of dubious integrity with no big names to attract attention and no interest from gamblers might as well not exist at all.
The glory days of NASCAR have passed. The Earnhardt, Gordon, Waltrip and Labonte days are over, having retired one by one over the years (or in the case of Earnhardt Sr., killed in action). The 2002 Daytona 500 was watched by nearly 19 million viewers on Fox. 2019's race lost nearly half of that audience (9.2 million).
If you love Kyle Busch, NASCAR still appeals to you. For the rest of us, it's a sport that seems to be dying year by year, while NFL and college football continue to soar.

The commercial load has killed the TV broadcast. You can find both highlights and the complete race on Youtube by evening and you don't have to waste your weekend.

Fans have been complaining about this for years but NASCAR hasn't listened.

Back
Top Bottom