• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

so long Elvis Duran and the Morning Zoo...

i guess it's officially called the Elvis Duran Morning Show now. I've heard them use it on the phone taps for a few weeks now and this morning, the opening and closing of the phone tap says Morning Show. It's a shame they're dropping the Zoo. I'm guessing they're preparing for another syndicated market.
Honestly, the morning show crap sounds cheesy and not as fun as the Morning Zoo.

Oh well...

They tried this once before in the mid-90s when Elvis Duran first became the host (or maybe before?). They reverted back to the Zoo name shortly after Elliot came on board. We'll see how long the change lasts this time around.

yeah but that don't make sense because...Z100 was the FIRST one, iirc, to do the whole "Zoo" kind of thing, and other stations around the country picked up on that - even those outside the Top 40 format....

I guess the fact that the show is going to be syndicated on stations that don't have a "Z" in their name (e.g. Q102, Philadelphia) kinda defeats the purpose of having the show named "the zoo" anyway...

I believe Scott Shannon started the Morning Zoo concept at Q-105 Tampa in the very early 80s, and it quickly spread to 80s CHR powerhouses like 93 Q in Houston. When Shannon accepted the PD gig and helped launch Z-100 in 1983, that's when the morning show became known as the Z morning zoo.

DToTheJ said:
I guess the fact that the show is going to be syndicated on stations that don't have a "Z" in their name (e.g. Q102, Philadelphia) kinda defeats the purpose of having the show named "the zoo" anyway...

Last time I checked, WNCI/Columbus, OH. called their morning show "The Morning Zoo" and have done so for years without a "Z" in their call sign. "The Morning Zoo" name is heritage...Which I guess in today's corporate radio world doesn't mean $h!% anymore. :'(

They still called themselves the Morning Zoo on Y100.7 in Miami

Now they can call it the Z, Y, and Q morning zoo

The Morning Zoo thing was used in Philadelphia with John DeBella on WMMR. Don't you remember when Stern was syndicated in Philly he went after the Zoo Keeper

Any stations around the country using the positioner "The Train"? They could be the Morning WOO WOO!

And the idea of a Morning Zoo before Shannon got there would have been really weird on a B/EZ station.

Or as Michael Wilbon calls them, "these zoo crew shows"...

As an aside, this morning, in a deli, I heard a liner on Z-100 allude to "the morning zoo". Note it was in the 5am hour, and likely local... Take it for what it's worth...

Has Q102 in Philly begun syndicating Elvis Duran, or is that still in the works? It would sound so much better- The Morning Zoo on Q..... The Morning Show just sounds like another stale, boring morning show rhetoric. It seems like in the past 2 weeks, they've become less funny. I don't know, maybe it's me. Eh, yea, it's me lol.

It's funny you guys bring this up. I'm originally from Brooklyn so I grew up with Scott and Ross on the Z Morning Zoo. I am in South Florida now and yes, I thought it was strange to hear "Elvis Duran and the Morning Show" -it's a little too AC/Lite sounding for me! So when they break for commercials, we hear locally "Elvis Duran and the Morning Show on Y100". It does sound cheesy. If WIOQ - Q102 is in fact getting Elvis and it's the same CHR/Top 40/Clearchannel station, why go to "Show"? It's not as if it's changing the marketed listeners. Ahh, such as life.

tidbit - This morning Elvis opened up saying "Hearing us in New York, Miami and around the world" - Says that EVERY morning. So Philly is not turned on yet. I guess he forgets that the show is also on Max 106.3 in the Poconos. LOL

Max 106.3 is not technically an affiliate, it actually airs the same thing that is broadcast over WHTZ. There is no feed for WHCY.

They are probably taking out the "Zoo" because some the market that they are looking to syndicate to may already have a "zoo".

In Philadelphia, John DeBella hosted the "Zoo" for years on WMMR. These days, he's still doing mornings, but on now-sister station WMGK; however, I don't think the show is referred to as a "zoo". I wouldn't think he owns the "naming rights" of the "zoo" in Philly, would he?

myke25 said:
morning show crap sounds cheesy and not as fun as the Morning Zoo.

Oh well...

You are right any show named morning zoo must = fun

You once upon a time communications major at Rutgers

if you put zoo in any morning show name it makes it more fun

The AM Pedophile zoo = fun?

The AM Homosexual zoo = fun?

Waking up with Whoppi zoo = fun?

Usually I browse markets on here just for laughs but this post is amazing so i had to reply

M

Sleak109 said:
myke25 said:
morning show crap sounds cheesy and not as fun as the Morning Zoo.

Oh well...

You are right any show named morning zoo must = fun

You once upon a time communications major at Rutgers

if you put zoo in any morning show name it makes it more fun

The AM Pedophile zoo = fun?

The AM Homosexual zoo = fun?

Waking up with Whoppi zoo = fun?

Usually I browse markets on here just for laughs but this post is amazing so i had to reply

M

Well, I'm sure Waking up With Whoppi would've been better than Whoopi....

Nothin' wrong with The Gay Zoo. What does a gay horse eat? HEYYYY!!!! ;)

zradio03 said:
Max 106.3 is not technically an affiliate, it actually airs the same thing that is broadcast over WHTZ. There is no feed for WHCY.

Max 106.3 is owned by Clear Channel and it is a direct feed from a private cc stream, so yes there is a delay and yes technically it's not an affiliate.

elvis duran said this morning that later on today that they will be announcing a new station that will carry the show. they will say which one on the show weds. could it be philly?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom