• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ted Stryker out at KVIL (via his departure at Audacy sister station KROQ in Los Angeles)

Ted Stryker has left Audacy's Los Angeles Rocker KROQ, which is where he was based, but what does this have to do with Dallas radio, well, his show that he co-hosted with Kevin Klein is syndicated in Dallas on KROQ's Alt sister station KVIL Alt 103.7 (yes, i know, still weird to refer to the station once known as "the AC/Soft Rock" station in town and home of Ron Chapman (may he rest in peace) for a majority of his radio career here in the DFW area). with his departure from KROQ, it means the show he co-hosted is now just hosted by Kevin Klein, Ally Johnson and DJ Omar Khan for now, and the bigger question is, will KVIL just drop the show and go with another show that isn't local based or do they keep the show or do they drop it for a more "Local" show with someone in-house at the Audacy Dallas Cluster or another market but be local in the DFW area only as in they move here and work in the KVIL studios.

more from Radio Insight:
Ted Stryker To Exit KROQ Mornings - RadioInsight

will KVIL just drop the show and go with another show that isn't local based or do they keep the show or do they drop it for a more "Local" show with someone in-house at the Audacy Dallas Cluster or another market but be local in the DFW area only as in they move here and work in the KVIL studios.

This isn't a KVIL decision. There is no question here. The morning show will continue with Kevin Klein, and they're looking for a co-host. Until that time, Styker is staying.

Ted Stryker has left Audacy's Los Angeles Rocker KROQ, which is where he was based, but what does this have to do with Dallas radio, well, his show that he co-hosted with Kevin Klein is syndicated in Dallas on KROQ's Alt sister station KVIL Alt 103.7 (yes, i know, still weird to refer to the station once known as "the AC/Soft Rock" station in town and home of Ron Chapman (may he rest in peace) for a majority of his radio career here in the DFW area). with his departure from KROQ, it means the show he co-hosted is now just hosted by Kevin Klein, Ally Johnson and DJ Omar Khan for now, and the bigger question is, will KVIL just drop the show and go with another show that isn't local based or do they keep the show or do they drop it for a more "Local" show with someone in-house at the Audacy Dallas Cluster or another market but be local in the DFW area only as in they move here and work in the KVIL studios.

more from Radio Insight:
Ted Stryker To Exit KROQ Mornings - RadioInsight
Honestly, if KROQ's audience is close to zip, KVIL's listener base is zip. This could be an opportunity if Audacy wants to go for it; especially since KEGL is vulnerable right now with the death of Russ Martin.

I think Bailey (the person who manages KVIL but has no power over the programming or personnel) needs to be let off the leash. I've seen several of Bailey's Hot Picks on AllAccess and they have great taste; but Bailey unfortunately rarely if ever gets to add said Picks. Go after KEGL with a mix of Alt Rock, indie, and Americana-leaning indie rock like Jade Bird, Fleet Foxes, and Wilderado (or perhaps Alt-leaning Active performers like Ayron Jones and Bring Me The Horizon). Get some locals on the air, fresh voices to give a unique perspective. At least this would make KVIL a reasonable second choice on the dial for KEGL listeners and give the station an identity.

It's either that or flip; but there isn't anything enticing in the market for KVIL to flip to. So they need to roll up their sleeves and get to work. There's nothing to lose so might as well try.

When you have nothing you need to start building a foundation. The way KVIL is doing things now ain't it. Piping in a morning show from LA and an afternoon show from KC is never going to work in Dallas.

Last edited:
He's also Steve Harvey. Who are Stryker and Klein or Lazlo to Dallas?

Who would you replace them with? And would it make a difference if people don't like the music?

Because that's part of it. Not just a new morning show, but a lot of new music.

Who would you replace them with? And would it make a difference if people don't like the music?

Because that's part of it. Not just a new morning show, but a lot of new music.
It's not just the new music, but the kind of new music. KVIL had trouble attracting an audience even before the pandemic and the consolidation. I don't think Audacy either before or after the consolidation has picked a good music mix for KVIL. I think Bailey could pick one out if they let Bailey have PD responsibilities and control though.

KXT plays that kind of music (with the exception of the active crossovers.) Not sure there's an effective model for a commercial and a noncommercial station doing the same basic thing. I'll grant that the 103.7 audience that dislikes the music (and the national shows) is particularly persistent on social media, but I'm not sure the music they're asking for is a path forward either. At least with the personality shows, it's an attempt to offer something different. But it may not be what Dallas wants.

He's also Steve Harvey. Who are Stryker and Klein or Lazlo to Dallas?
Stryker is the guy who replace Adam Carolla on Lovelines and Lazlo used to be on SiriusXM and worked for Rockstar Games doing voiceover works for the "Grand Theft Auto" video game franchise.

Different Lazlo. The one that did the video games also hosted a syndicated tech/internet feature for a time that aired on radio, but it's not the same guy as the former PD of KRBZ & host of the "Church of Lazlo" show on Alt 103.7 and the other Audacy stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom