• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tornadoes kill 25 people in Tennessee

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Rescuers searched through shattered Tennessee neighborhoods for bodies Tuesday, less than a day after tornadoes ripped across Nashville and other parts of the state as families slept. At least 25 people were killed, some in their beds, authorities said.

The twisters that struck in the hours after midnight shredded more than 140 buildings and buried people in piles of rubble and wrecked basements. The storms moved so quickly that many people in their path could not flee to safer areas.

“It hit so fast, a lot of folks didn’t have time to take shelter,” Putnam County Mayor Randy Porter said. “Many of these folks were sleeping.”

https://apnews.com/795688aab981d4e8220042c20e095b55

Here is the latest on this disaster.

I often hear about the importance of the media in warning the public of these kinds of things, but there's not much the media can do at 1AM when everyone's asleep.

Events like this one are among the hardest for the media and for preparation... because it was not well-forecast. The National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center on Sunday night identified a tornado risk of 2% for Monday across west Tennessee and north Mississippi, not even encompassing the Nashville area.

By mid-day on Monday, the 2% risk had been moved north a bit to include Nashville. Here's an NWS Map showing that mid-day Monday forecast with the locations of reported tornado sightings. Only one of the 8 tornadoes reported last night was in the forecast area. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/archive/2020/day1probotlk_v_20200302_1200_torn_prt.gif

The tornado watch for the storm that eventually impacted Nashville was issued at 11:20 PM CST, and the SPC's text stated that the probability of a tornado of EF2 or stronger was "low".

Horrible devastation. I can't believe what they have just gone through. It's a wonder it didn't hit the Grand Ole Opry, just missed it by 1-2 miles. Entire neighborhoods gone. Entire schools gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see that death toll rise even more. This was a nightmare scenario, middle of the night with people sleeping, and many never woke up.
Country star Maren Morris commenting that it came within inches of her home in Nashville. Dierks Bentley was flying into Nashville an hour before it hit.

I can't believe it's 2020 and we don't have a better warning system to prevent loss of life.
I remember a story here where 2 people were killed when a tree fell in thru the bedroom ceiling as they were sleeping.
Many homes have burglar and smoke alarms. Maybe a weather alert receiver should be required.
Apparently WWCR (SW) emerged unscathed as they were on all of their frequencies the next day.

I can't believe it's 2020 and we don't have a better warning system to prevent loss of life.
I remember a story here where 2 people were killed when a tree fell in thru the bedroom ceiling as they were sleeping.
Many homes have burglar and smoke alarms. Maybe a weather alert receiver should be required.
Apparently WWCR (SW) emerged unscathed as they were on all of their frequencies the next day.

We do... it's wireless emergency alerts. Supported on most smartphones and by the National Weather Service for almost 10 years.

We do... it's wireless emergency alerts. Supported on most smartphones and by the National Weather Service for almost 10 years.

Many of us have turned that off, because we get alerts for places that are over 100 miles away and totally irrelevant.

In the last few years, I likely received two to three a month, none within the market area I live in.

On one occasion, I was at a seminar where everyone's phone began buzzing and chirping. It was an alert for something in the Colorado River Valley, which is over 150 miles from where we were, and had strictly local importance. The general comments in the room were all, "another one from half way across the state...".

Also you have to remember the elderly who may not know how to work those smartphone-thing-a-ma-jigs. My grandmother is 80 and hates the new phones. Landlines were easier for her.
I'm sure somewhere in Nashville there's a 'Miss Betty' who's 88 years old and only has a landline...no wireless NWS alerts for her. We have to keep in mind these people, and the poor...TV and radio is their way to hear coverage.

TV and radio is their way to hear coverage.

TV and radio have not been replaced as a means of weather alert dissemination, in the same way that "Miss Betty" can still have her landline and phone book.

But wireless alerts that alarm wherever you happen to be are clearly a better way, compared to the cumbersome and unreliable NOAA weather radio decoders.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom