• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCVB-TV (analog) from beginning to end.

I saw the last broadcast of WCVB-TV analog shutdown for good at 12:00:03 AM this morning, July 13, 2009. I just realized that I actually saw the very first broadcast of this station that very early morning on March 19th, 1972 at 3:00 AM. So, I have actually seen the life of a television station, from beginning to end. Checking my chronometer, WCVB-TV was on the air for 37 years, 3 months, 24 days and 21 hours (give or take few). Many what a quick 37 years it has been. At last check, WGBH-TV Channel 2 (at 12:04 am) is still on the air with their DTV loop. I don't think the FCC will really care. But, they can go on record as the ABSOLUTE LAST analog TV station in town. To the folks at WGBH-TV, I say...congratulations!!! Good night, analog! See you on the flip side!

I can say the same for WTIC-TV (analog), as I caught the tests before the station officially signed on. I had one of those Radio Shack CATV block converter boxes that took the CATV bands and bumped them up to UHF, so as I was tuning around one day (somehow 27 was up at 61), I noticed I was getting a noise over the channel, I pulled off the cable and heard some of the best sounding audio I'd heard from a TV station up to that point as they were running music with color bars. This was a full 2 weeks before they went official. The shut down was less fun, as with most stations, they just shut off around noon that dreaded Friday.

DJKraze said:
I can say the same for WTIC-TV (analog), as I caught the tests before the station officially signed on. I had one of those Radio Shack CATV block converter boxes that took the CATV bands and bumped them up to UHF, so as I was tuning around one day (somehow 27 was up at 61), I noticed I was getting a noise over the channel, I pulled off the cable and heard some of the best sounding audio I'd heard from a TV station up to that point as they were running music with color bars. This was a full 2 weeks before they went official. The shut down was less fun, as with most stations, they just shut off around noon that dreaded Friday.
Yup I watched them a lot before they went on the air. They kept running Kids Incorporated over and over again. :)

My Boss (Arnold Chase) still talks about and is upset about the gala sign on event as it was Connecticuts first Stereo television broadcast and in a glitch the gala event had the left and right channels reversed. :)

scottg said:
My Boss (Arnold Chase) still talks about and is upset about the gala sign on event as it was Connecticuts first Stereo television broadcast and in a glitch the gala event had the left and right channels reversed. :)

Two stations did some stereo the weekend before TIC-TV's sign-on in 1984. A friend at 20 told me their setup was practically phony (can't remember the details), and 3 aired a show with a stereo simulcast on WRCH.

61 was suppose to be WETG named after the late Gov. Ella T. Grasso (the nation's first elected woman governor in her own right). The FCC rule allowing two companies to have the same calls went into effect just before 61 went on the air, and WTIC-TV was dedicated to Gov. Grasso. Arnold Chase owned 61 and his dad owned WTIC-AM-FM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom