• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WGCL CBS46 plans to have a 3pm newscast

If a 3 PM newscast proves successful, will WSB, WAGA and WXIA follow suit? Or could this be a case of news overkill, even with Inside Edition sandwiched in between 3 and 4?

If a 3 PM newscast proves successful, will WSB, WAGA and WXIA follow suit? Or could this be a case of news overkill, even with Inside Edition sandwiched in between 3 and 4?
I can see WXIA launching a 4:00 pm news once Ellen DeGeneres leaves (which would be the closest thing anyway).

WGCL is dropping The 700 Club, replacing it at 9 AM with another local newscast starting February 1. The 700 Club will relocate to another Atlanta station.

CBS 46 has improved over the years. Gray is really trying to make them a powerhouse.
Not a fan of the weather graphics and chief meteorologist Jennifer.
Bring back Sharon Reed!!
Wonder why they ditched the slogan
“Local, Real, Everywhere “

I can see WXIA launching a 4:00 pm news once Ellen DeGeneres leaves (which would be the closest thing anyway).
More likely Dr. Phil will move in at 4PM. WXIA & WGCL running neck to neck in 3rd place ratings. Plus XIA produces a 7:00-7:30pm, 8-11PM newscast on WATL. Talk about overkill of news, but WXIA doesn't need a 4pm newscast.

I am in the radio side of broadcasting, so please forgive my ignorance, but I am curious, has there ever been an effort to move CBS 46 to a lower virtual channel number to at least seem more comparable branding wise to 2, 5, and 11?

Is that even allowed?

Is that even allowed?
No, it isn't. The only scenario I have found where a station was permitted to use a different virtual channel than the ordinary rules was in the case of a conflict. For example if a new LPTV signed on in Atlanta using RF2 and virtual channel 2, as the rules would ordinarily require, an exception could be granted so the new station might be virtual channel 4.

However, no station has to brand with their channel number. They could be "CBS Atlanta" or "WGCL News" or "CBS 9" for their cable position on certain systems.

Last year, WECP in Panama City switched virtual from 18 to 21. What would be the precedent there?

Not sure on WECP.

No, it isn't. The only scenario I have found where a station was permitted to use a different virtual channel than the ordinary rules was in the case of a conflict. For example if a new LPTV signed on in Atlanta using RF2 and virtual channel 2, as the rules would ordinarily require, an exception could be granted so the new station might be virtual channel 4.

However, no station has to brand with their channel number. They could be "CBS Atlanta" or "WGCL News" or "CBS 9" for their cable position on certain systems.
But, they could swap channel positions with co-owned Peachtree TV to become CBS17.

Last year, WECP in Panama City switched virtual from 18 to 21. What would be the precedent there?
Didn’t WECP (CBS) come into play post DTV transition? It’s a fairly new station. Broke away from WTVY (CBS) in Dothan on most cable systems. Would this have anything to do with that?

Maybe the virtual move to 21 is to keep from conflicting with WDHN (18, RF 21) in Dothan in the northern parts of Panama City.

Has CBS discussed entering the market and launching their own in house department. It’s weird that CBS has streaming channels for all of their Top 10 markets except Atlanta

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom