• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings: January 2024

Covering the survey period from Thu. 1/4/2024 thru Wed. 1/31/2024, age 6+ overall:
OR
OR

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director, Inc./XTrends:

25-54: 1. WBZ-FM 2. WMJX 3T. WBUR 3T. WXKS-FM 3T. WROR 6. WWBX (up from #9) 9. WBGB (down from #5)
18-34: 1. WWBX (up from #6) 2. WBZ-FM 3. WBGB 4. WXKS-FM 5. WJMN 6. WBQT 7. WMJX (down from #1)
18-49: 1. WBZ-FM 2. WWBX (up from #7) 3. WXKS-FM 4. WMJX (down from #1) 5. WBQT 6. WBUR 8. WBGB

WJMN bounced back in latest book.

The first link in OP"s thread has not been updated yet.

Has WRCB ever been gotten higher ratings on their 99.5 frequency than this book ?

Nothing makes me happier than the utter freefall of what over the last 15 years has turned into the absolute dullest station on the Boston radio dial.

WROR has become the radio equivalent of watching off-white paint dry for the last several years. The continuing adds of the dullest variety of the 90s and early 2000s has made it entirely unlistenable.

There is nothing that station offers that you can't get without a much, much more entertaining presentation on BIG 103, ZLX, Magic, Mix, and even their little brother down the hall, Rock 929.

I know this is 6+, but it doesn't excuse the terrible optics. When is the last time you saw a station roll down a hill this quickly? Especially when it's been sitting on top in the 7,8,9 range for so many years?

Aug: 6.5
Sept: 5.0
Oct: 5.3
Nov: 5.2
Dec: 4.9
Hol: 3.9

Nothing makes me happier than the utter freefall of what over the last 15 years has turned into the absolute dullest station on the Boston radio dial.

WROR has become the radio equivalent of watching off-white paint dry for the last several years. The continuing adds of the dullest variety of the 90s and early 2000s has made it entirely unlistenable.

There is nothing that station offers that you can't get without a much, much more entertaining presentation on BIG 103, ZLX, Magic, Mix, and even their little brother down the hall, Rock 929.

I know this is 6+, but it doesn't excuse the terrible optics. When is the last time you saw a station roll down a hill this quickly? Especially when it's been sitting on top in the 7,8,9 range for so many years?

I think you're looking at the top RadioInsight link that has not been updated for January.

WROR has bounced back up to 5.2 in Jan., and is back to beating WZLX in the 6+. It's now back to being the top of the "classic" stations in Boston. Here's an updated for January list:

Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Not my favorite station by a long shot, but their approach works for many listeners.

I think you're looking at the top RadioInsight link that has not been updated for January.

WROR has bounced back up to 5.2 in Jan., and is back to beating WZLX in the 6+. It's now back to being the top of the "classic" stations in Boston. Here's an updated for January list:

Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Not my favorite station by a long shot, but their approach works for many listeners.
I swore to myself as soon as I hit post that I didn't add the Jan "rebound," but after years of never touching a low 5 number except maybe the holiday book, it's definitely saying something.

For reasons I've never understood their approach may have worked, but if the last 6 months is saying anything maybe their jig is up?

And WROR is tied for #3 in the 25-54 demo. It may not be your cup of tea and I may miss the more exciting presentation of the past. But it's doing very well.

I remember when Oldies and Classic Hits stations echoed the electric Top 40 stations of our youth, often with the same DJs who made those Top 40 outlets famous. Now, it's just music, pre-recorded liners and a few times an hour a DJ will come on to hawk a station promotion or mention briefly something in pop culture.

No one is funny (except maybe the morning show), no one gives you a thrill and rarely do they add much excitement. It's almost as if the program directors DON'T want air personalities who will dazzle you, since they could easily be voice-tracked or replaced tomorrow.

No one is funny (except maybe the morning show), no one gives you a thrill and rarely do they add much excitement. It's almost as if the program directors DON'T want air personalities who will dazzle you, since they could easily be voice-tracked or replaced tomorrow.
Huh? Jaybeau is quite amusing, and Geno posts plenty of smirky social content.

I bought 120 songs over a few years at an average of 97 cents per song back in the day from Apple. It’s turned out to be pretty much every song ever played on WROR. So I’ve had commercial free WROR on my Car’s Apple Car Play for years. And I don’t have to listen to the same 30 research favorites from that era that WROR runs into the ground and plays in super heavy rotation.

WROR succeeds by catering to the youngest demo alive who don’t stream. Great plan for terrestrial radio. But now even they (we) are proving elusive lol. And we’re getting even older.

WROR succeeds by catering to the youngest demo alive who don’t stream. Great plan for terrestrial radio. But now even they (we) are proving elusive lol. And we’re getting even older.

If you want songs, there are endless places to get songs. Radio on the other hand helps keep you company, gives you the weather, has personalities who present music you like, has contests, morning shows that make you chuckle and keep an eye on what's happening.

If it's just music you want, there are a thousand places....it you want to feel connected and have company, that's what radio does (or should do). ;-)

What's going on with WXLO? Half of their Boston market shares have vanished! This station was consistently near or even a bit above a 2.0 share for quite a while.

Rock 92.9 remains a complete joke. No surprise there. Their playlist is total garbage.

I agree. Also the morning guy is just vanilla, definitely not Lauren and Wally. OK he did mornings in NYC but Lite 106 in New York is very bland and meh. Prior to that he was PD at WZID Manchester another bland station. These stations should have the slogan "When you gotta listen to something we're okay" lol

I agree. Also the morning guy is just vanilla, definitely not Lauren and Wally. OK he did mornings in NYC but Lite 106 in New York is very bland and meh. Prior to that he was PD at WZID Manchester another bland station. These stations should have the slogan "When you gotta listen to something we're okay" lol
What's wrong with WROR's ratings now that all the Burl Ives and Jose Feliciano fans have returned from their annual pilgrimage to WMJX? Only one music station leads them in beauty pageant numbers, and the others in the top three are a geezer-magnet news-talker and a noncommercial station. You may find WROR's personalities and its general stationality bland and its playlist overly familiar, but with numbers like this month's, they'd be fools to put wisecracking clowns on the air, playing secondary and tertiary hits.

Oh, and it's Loren and Wally. Lauren is a feminine name.

What's wrong with WROR's ratings now that all the Burl Ives and Jose Feliciano fans have returned from their annual pilgrimage to WMJX? Only one music station leads them in beauty pageant numbers, and the others in the top three are a geezer-magnet news-talker and a noncommercial station. You may find WROR's personalities and its general stationality bland and its playlist overly familiar, but with numbers like this month's, they'd be fools to put wisecracking clowns on the air, playing secondary and tertiary hits.

Oh, and it's Loren and Wally. Lauren is a feminine name.
Wait, I'm my usual confused self.

I see this order: WBZ-FM sports and sports talk, NOT a geezer-magnet news-talker, unless mistaken for WBZ-AM (below)
WMJX music station that leads 'ROR in beauty pageant numbers
WBUR noncommercial
WROR the subject here
WZLX
WBZ-AM

So, try this again, please.

Wait, I'm my usual confused self.

I see this order: WBZ-FM sports and sports talk, NOT a geezer-magnet news-talker, unless mistaken for WBZ-AM (below)
WMJX music station that leads 'ROR in beauty pageant numbers
WBUR noncommercial
WROR the subject here
WZLX
WBZ-AM

So, try this again, please.
You're right. I mistook the Sports Hub for 'BZ AM. Sorry about that. But that still makes WROR the second-ranked music station in the Boston market, with no logical reason to change what it's doing to become more "entertaining."

Back
Top Bottom