• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

holidays

Maybe not as much or they don't think it would do well.
A couple years ago a Netflix movie, Hubie Halloween, with Adam Sandler, was filmed in and around Salem (I saw it when I had Netflix) and at a couple points they showed a fictional FM radio station in Salem, playing Halloween music

Given that Chicago's WLIT-93.9 went all-Christmas last year on November 1st (earlier than in prior years), and supposedly saw their listenership immediately spike, I think you may see dozens of all-Christmas flips on November 1st this year, possibly including Boston, Worcester, Providence, etc.

And I would be very surprised if WMJX-106.7, WSRS-96.1, and WWLI-105.1 are the only all-Christmas stations this year in Boston, Worcester, and Providence respectively. I think all three may have competition in the all-Christmas format from WROR-105.7 (Boston), WXLO-104.5 (Worcester), and WSNE-93.3 (Providence) this year.

Regardless of when WMJX, WSRS, and WWLI plan to switch, should someone else in their respective markets "beat them to the punch" by going all-Christmas, these stations will likely respond within minutes of a competitor "taking the plunge".

There have been cases in the past when one station in a particular city/market had planned to go all-Christmas, but a competitor flipped prior to the first station planning to do so. In these cases, the station that had planned to go all-Christmas flipped within minutes of the competitor doing so, lest that competitor become that city's "Christmas Station".

As to give an example of how this might unfold in "plain language", let's assume that WMJX was planning to go all-Christmas at 12 Noon on November 20th, but WROR decided to go all-Christmas at 9 A.M. on November 17th. WMJX would probably flip by 9:10 A.M. that morning to keep their reputation as Boston's "Christmas Station".

Given that Chicago's WLIT-93.9 went all-Christmas last year on November 1st (earlier than in prior years), and supposedly saw their listenership immediately spike, I think you may see dozens of all-Christmas flips on November 1st this year, possibly including Boston, Worcester, Providence, etc.

And I would be very surprised if WMJX-106.7, WSRS-96.1, and WWLI-105.1 are the only all-Christmas stations this year in Boston, Worcester, and Providence respectively. I think all three may have competition in the all-Christmas format from WROR-105.7 (Boston), WXLO-104.5 (Worcester), and WSNE-93.3 (Providence) this year.

Regardless of when WMJX, WSRS, and WWLI plan to switch, should someone else in their respective markets "beat them to the punch" by going all-Christmas, these stations will likely respond within minutes of a competitor "taking the plunge".

There have been cases in the past when one station in a particular city/market had planned to go all-Christmas, but a competitor flipped prior to the first station planning to do so. In these cases, the station that had planned to go all-Christmas flipped within minutes of the competitor doing so, lest that competitor become that city's "Christmas Station".

As to give an example of how this might unfold in "plain language", let's assume that WMJX was planning to go all-Christmas at 12 Noon on November 20th, but WROR decided to go all-Christmas at 9 A.M. on November 17th. WMJX would probably flip by 9:10 A.M. that morning to keep their reputation as Boston's "Christmas Station".
WMJX is probably going to go all Christmas on Nov 17 at some point on that day and are already planning that.

A week before Thanksgiving, 17th is safe and lame.

I hope some station flips the night before Veterans Day which is Friday the 10th.

This Wednesday would also be excellent flipping weather.

To sound completely out of touch, I'm north of the city on the NH boarder. What station is Lite-FM? The only one I know nearby is the one out of NYC. If that's what everyone is referencing, what does that have to do with Boston? If they were the same market, then the whole "New York's Country" discussions would make sense on their board. Obviously, it's two distinctly different markets.

Back
Top Bottom