• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Where is Lori Grande and Kevin Brennan

They’ve both been MIA for the morning and midday traffic reports for several days. And Kevin had just recently returned from a vacation.

Kevin Brennan is still MIA from his usual midday slot.
I don't think anybody working for iHeart has that much vacation time accrued. Perhaps he's had surgery and is still recovering. I'd like to hear him on the air again, although Megan Doll is doing an admirable job, as does David Struffolino on those days when Megan's unavailable.

If only someone on this Forum could tell us something.......

Alright, something's up at 'BZ. Today, Lori Grande continued with traffic after her usual 9:53 am stop point. She was followed by Gina Tempesta who was in earlier than her 2:03 pm start time. Are they eliminating one traffic reporter during the day now?

Considering they are substituting people instead of using just one reporter I think it must be medical or a family problem. We will probably never know for sure unless he does not come back. I hope he is okay. He is very good with Lori Kirby.

.... that TV station NBC is still trying to make happen.
I LOVE THIS! I never saw a more convoluted way to get a "TV station" to see the light of day. I lost track of how many locations, transmitters, sub-channels comprise this concoction. And they brand it as "NBC 10", when (1) they're not even on an (over-the-air) channel 10, and (2) there really is an NBC on (what we still refer to as) channel 10 in Providence, and it's been an NBC affiliate since it debuted in 1949.

I often thought NBC would try negotiating with Ed Ansin's heirs re channel 7, but they may have sunk way too much into their "TV station" already, so that ship must've sailed.

(1) They are owned by the largest cable operator in the world. (2) A cable company so big they bought and own NBC too. So I don't think they are too worried about their over the air channel positioning. (3) Channel 4, 5 , 7 etc. aren't on ch 4, 5, 7 either they just trick your TV to display that.

TV channel numbers etc are usually different from what you'd think--and if you decide to use your Comcast/Xfinity remote to surf the channels be prepared for
4--WBZ--Automatically reset to (HD) Ch xx
5--WCVB--Automatically reset to (HD) Ch yy
It doesn't simply go 2, 3, 4, 5 etc

"Ch 10 Boston"=
"WBTS-CD, a low-power Class A NBC-owned-and-operated television station (channel 32/virtual channel 15) licensed to serve Nashua, New Hampshire, United States

Most folks getting 15.1 over the air are getting it from Needham with a channel sharing agreement with WGBX-DT44 with them both really on ch 32. WBZ DT4 is really on ch20. WCVB DT5 is really on Ch33. WHDH DT5 is really on ch33. Your TV has been lying to you or showing you what it's been told you want to see. However you will find NBC10 on channel 10 and 810 (HD) on Comcast as you might expect.

"Ch 10 Boston"=
"WBTS-CD, a low-power Class A NBC-owned-and-operated television station (channel 32/virtual channel 15) licensed to serve Nashua, New Hampshire, United States

Isn't there a couple of other over-the-air transmissions that simulcast WBTS?

I thought when they set this up there we like 3 over-the-air signals they used to cover the market.

Is there any other over the air signals (besides channel 32/virtual channel 15) to pick up the programming?

Most folks getting 15.1 over the air are getting it from Needham with a channel sharing agreement with WGBX-DT44 with them both really on ch 32. WBZ DT4 is really on ch20. WCVB DT5 is really on Ch33. WHDH DT5 is really on ch33. Your TV has been lying to you or showing you what it's been told you want to see. However you will find NBC10 on channel 10 and 810 (HD) on Comcast as you might expect.
Yes, I've been aware of the PSID technology that enables an HD TV channel to broadcast over the air on one channel, yet have its channel "identity" (NewsCenter 5, 7 News, NBC 10) maintained. The VHF band is just not optimum for HD TV, fully understand that. But here's what I call convoluted:
WBTS-CD, a low-power Class A NBC-owned-and-operated television station (channel 32/virtual channel 15) licensed to serve Nashua, New Hampshire, United States

Most folks are getting 15.1 over the air from Needham in a channel sharing agreement with WGBX-DT44, with their both being really on UHF ch 32.
Uh-huh. Clear as mud.

Isn't there a couple of other over-the-air transmissions that simulcast WBTS?

I thought when they set this up there we like 3 over-the-air signals they used to cover the market.

Is there any other over the air signals (besides channel 32/virtual channel 15) to pick up the programming?
Not anymore, that was when they first went on the air, before the repack. Back then they were on the old WNEU signal in Goffstown, NH, WMFP in Newton, and another low power signal that had them on virtual 8.1.

The only place to find “NBC 10 Boston” over the air these days is via the shared RF 32 channel with WGBX as 15.1.

Honestly, how much of an attachment does the average radio listener have to the voices that speed through the traffic reports? Are there enough of those listeners to make WBZ's not updating the status of one of those voices something to criticize the station for? A favorite talk show host? Sure. A newscaster? Yeah, I can see it. But a traffic reporter? Maybe back in the days of Joe Greene in the copter, but aren't all the traffic voices pretty much generic these days?

Honestly, how much of an attachment does the average radio listener have to the voices that speed through the traffic reports? Are there enough of those listeners to make WBZ's not updating the status of one of those voices something to criticize the station for? A favorite talk show host? Sure. A newscaster? Yeah, I can see it. But a traffic reporter? Maybe back in the days of Joe Greene in the copter, but aren't all the traffic voices pretty much generic these days?
Try to understand that when anyone at WBZ - "an iHeartRadio station" - goes missing for more than a "reasonable" amount of time, some of us worry that the person is not coming back. It doesn't matter if the person is an anchor, a reporter, a weather forecaster, a traffic reporter, a favorite imaging voice (remember Michael Coleman?). Deb Lawler disappeared from the airwaves shortly after she returned from her vacation in early 2020; she "retired", though I don't recall anyone at 'BZ making any mention of it. Then there was Mike King (RIP).

I don't like the attitude that a voice heard daily on the radio is "pretty much generic". Management likely already feels that way, I believe, but I'll be dipped if I, as a listener, should be made to feel the same way.

If you listen for a long time at the same time you grow attached to the people on the other end of the radio. For example. I listen to Ben and Nicole in the late afternoon and evening on WBZ on my way home and sometimes after that at the house. I know Gina is the traffic reporter and Bryan is sports. Weather does not seem to stay the same. If any of them were gone for a long time I would be concerned. They become part of your day.

If you listen for a long time at the same time you grow attached to the people on the other end of the radio. For example. I listen to Ben and Nicole in the late afternoon and evening on WBZ on my way home and sometimes after that at the house. I know Gina is the traffic reporter and Bryan is sports. Weather does not seem to stay the same. If any of them were gone for a long time I would be concerned. They become part of your day.
If there were more folks like us, radio would probably be in much better shape than what it is.

What's sad is that we listeners no longer have access to the stations to which we listen. There MAY be email, but don't expect a response. I've not tried calling a station lately, not as a talk-show caller, but to offer a comment to management about a programming matter, but I doubt I'd get anything but an automated menu to nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom