• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 720

WLS also not a possibility either because of a local on 900 and a a high powered 880 about 60 miles away in Wisconsin. That said, the whole notion of hearing WLS daytime in the Twin Cities may be moot to begin with due to the higher dial position and the fact that WLS transmits from a site well to the south of the other Chicago blowtorches.

The flip side of the situation with WLS is that....at least in my experience at my home location....I never hear WCCO during the daytime. Their stick is northwest of the immediate metro in Anoka, MN.
Good points and now I remember why I never heard WLS during the day in the Twin Cities. WLS was even tough to hear near the Wisconsin Dells daytime because of a 900 there. Did you ever hear WMVP near Winnipeg at night? I know that CBW would make it very tough, but I did hear it in Northern Minnesota at night near Bemidji. Not strong, but it was there.

Ever notice all the stations with "LS" in their call letters that were Daytimers in the WLS Skywave Service Area close to 890 kHz?

WLSI 900 Pikeville, KY
WDLS 900 Wisconsin Dells, WI
KKLS 920 Rapid City, SD

KDWN was a Class II-A as were most of the others that landed on the clears in the west.
The FCC finally lumped all the Class I-A, I-B and I-N into Class A.
The Class II & III (plus the new II-A) into Class B.
Even when a Class A station makes a major change , like moving sites, it has to now protect other stations that were previously Grandfathered.
All other stations like KDWN also have to protect stations that have dropped into the previous coverage area.

Wasn't KBOI the first Class II-A? I seem to remember seeing it in the WRTH around 1968 or 1969. Seems like it was listed as 50/25 U2 in WRTH at the time. Later, they modified to 50 kW full-time, and still later modified it to protect the Simi Valley, CA station with a different pattern.

Last edited:
When did they increase from 25 kW Night to 50 kW Night. I see a license in 1982 on the Cavell and Mertz site that shows a "flattened parallelogram" design with three big lobes N, S, and W. What was the 25 kW array like, how many towers, etc.? Seems like it was a two or three tower cardioid type pattern protecting WMAQ/WSCR.

Wasn't KBOI the first Class II-A? I seem to remember seeing it in the WRTH around 1968 or 1969. Seems like it was listed as 50/25 U2 in WRTH at the time. Later, they modified to 50 kW full-time, and still later modified it to protect the Simi Valley, CA station with a different pattern.
I saw KBOI listed in Whites Radio Log in 1965. It may have not been on the air yet, but apparently they were on the way to moving to 670.

KBOI was a Class II-A. Now all lumped into Class B and everyone could get 50 kW.
KDWN basically broke open the clears for the Class II-A stations with their legal persistence.
All the big east clears were not going to have it and were surprised that the sagebrush stations would put up the $$$ and fight them.

Did you ever hear WMVP near Winnipeg at night? I know that CBW would make it very tough, but I did hear it in Northern Minnesota at night near Bemidji. Not strong, but it was there.
I answered this a couple of days ago, but appatrently it didn't post....

I've never been able to hear WMVP on my stays in Winnipeg. Too much CBW when I stayed in the west or south sides of town. Too much steel/concrete/noise if I was at a downtown hotel. Same issues for WMAQ/WSCR, but with CJOB instead of CBW as the culprit. Basic rule of thumb for CBW daytime was that it would be listenable in roughly the northwestern third of Minnesota. CJOB was good a little beyond that, and CKY on 580 even farther still. Guess where my car radio was usually glued.

Back to WMVP....While I never heard it in winter, I never heard it in Winnipeg, it was a fairly easy catch two hour east of there in Kenora. Ontario. I also spent several nights two hours south of Winnipeg in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Tougher catch there, but doable from time to time.

I answered this a couple of days ago, but appatrently it didn't post....

I've never been able to hear WMVP on my stays in Winnipeg. Too much CBW when I stayed in the west or south sides of town. Too much steel/concrete/noise if I was at a downtown hotel. Same issues for WMAQ/WSCR, but with CJOB instead of CBW as the culprit. Basic rule of thumb for CBW daytime was that it would be listenable in roughly the northwestern third of Minnesota. CJOB was good a little beyond that, and CKY on 580 even farther still. Guess where my car radio was usually glued.

Back to WMVP....While I never heard it in winter, I never heard it in Winnipeg, it was a fairly easy catch two hour east of there in Kenora. Ontario. I also spent several nights two hours south of Winnipeg in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Tougher catch there, but doable from time to time.
As I previously mentioned I could hear WMVP in Northern Minnesota. Not great, but it was decent. Speaking of CKY, that was the station I listened to in Northern Mn.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom