• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ATSC 1.0 shut off date?

Has the FCC gave a mandated date of one ATSC 1.0 is to shut down operations? I saw on a couple tech websites that it’s July 17, 2027 can anyone confirm.

Just under 4 years? Not likely; too soon. I haven't seen any TVs or converter boxes on the market yet.

ATSC 3.0 has yet to show me any value to the general public.

That date is the date when stations *may* cease ATSC 1.0 transmission. The Commission has not given a date when they *must* cease.

ATSC3 tuner penetration in households remains extremely low.

ATSC 3.0 has yet to show me any value to the general public.
Of course, you aren't the arbiter of that, nor is the general public.

This story mentions the July 2027 drop-dead date for 1.0, but also says that date is open to change.

That means my Zenith DTT901 box is as dead as the Pony Express once 1.0 is shut off...right? Whatever, TV's dying a slow death anyways, the strikes are speeding up that process, and let's face it...even the reality and talent shows have run their course. All that's left to enjoy is sports, especially now that college football is back.

That means my Zenith DTT901 box is as dead as the Pony Express once 1.0 is shut off...right? Whatever, TV's dying a slow death anyways, the strikes are speeding up that process, and let's face it...even the reality and talent shows have run their course. All that's left to enjoy is sports, especially now that college football is back.
The DTT901? The coupon box from 2009 that was only meant to be a stopgap to keep a flood of CRT TVs from being immediately useless?

It's been 14 years. That box only outputs SD. That's really what you're still using in 2023, when you can get an excellent HD set for under $200 at any big box store, if you can't find someone giving one away in your neighborhood FB group?

I'm not usually a message board curmudgeon, but sometimes the march of technology is worth stepping in with.

(And since the 2027 date is just the first opportunity stations will have to leave ATSC 1.0 behind, your DTT901 will probably be old enough to drink before it's completely useless. And I'll bet it wasn't designed to last more than a decade in daily use.)

Back
Top Bottom