• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Rock Myrtle Beach

Well,...as I sip the French Roast this mornin', I see both good & bad. JethroM, with still yet another, little weenie one-liner. Dudley about to have a stroke, and Mr. Ed taking time away from the Toe-Foo wok to explain it all. However, I do find two positives: Mr. Ed's post, regarding the full & current execution of a Music Test, is essential reading...understanding how it is done. Due to the price/expense alone, I will easily disagree. His "A"-ness had a good point, that I easily agreed on: Concert audience reaction to overhead music. I have been logging such, since 1974. What I toss back is: How do you figure a major reaction to a song that is not, and has never been on the Playlist? I saw Boston a few years back, and the audience surged to a roar, when Gary Moore's "Over The Hills" came on, and this was years before his death. The same at a Rolling Stones show, when the stadium was filled with a random UFO song; "Only You Can Rock Me".
Also,...I'd like to point-out that Spotify is creating a score card, with you name on it....and I allow such willingly!

Last edited:
What I toss back is: How do you figure a major reaction to a song that is not, and has never been on the Playlist? I saw Boston a few years back, and the audience surged to a roar, when Gary Moore's "Over The Hills" came on, and this was years before his death. The same at a Rolling Stones show, when the stadium was filled with a random UFO song; "Only You Can Rock Me".

I think, in response, that there will always be a few songs that each station misses. In the overall picture, not a big deal but something worth keeping in mind.

What I have found with some of those songs that drive concert attendees wild are often/generally/usually well known to the hard-core fans and not known at all or known (and liked) much less by the group that does not go to that one artist's concerts. So the likely reason why those songs are not played is that they are not consensus "hits".

P.S. I'd rather have catfish than tofu any day!

What I have found with some of those songs that drive concert attendees wild are often/generally/usually well known to the hard-core fans and not known at all or known (and liked) much less by the group that does not go to that one artist's concerts.

I agree, which is partly why I say it's not scientific. I go to a lot of concerts across a variety of genres, and it's always interesting to me to see the cross-genre familiarity that's going on now. Why I also say the says of very narrowly defined radio formats are coming to an end. People don't listen to music that way.

Why I also say the says of very narrowly defined radio formats are coming to an end. People don't listen to music that way.

Except on Spotify and Pandora where people create genre/artist centered channels and change/create new channels for "variety."

Just my 2¢: when it comes to classic rock, in its current form, it's doing just fine in most of the top-50 markets, despite what Scooter refers to as "burnt playlists". A prime example: here, in Indianapolis, IHeartMedia's classic rock station, with its corporate playlist, performs well. As for Myrtle Beach (market #152), WYAV does its thing and does it well. WRXZ (my old signal when it was WQSD) has dropped, precipitously, over the past two years. I expect a change, now that iHeartMedia acquired the former Qantum properties. To argue in the face of what has been published concerning the "health" of the format is a waste of air and, obviously, a continuing disagreement with programming philosophy.

Does doing just fine...mean above a 5-share, but no where near a 6.5?

Just my 2¢: when it comes to classic rock, in its current form, it's doing just fine in most of the top-50 markets, despite what Scooter refers to as "burnt playlists". A prime example: here, in Indianapolis, IHeartMedia's classic rock station, with its corporate playlist, performs well. As for Myrtle Beach (market #152), WYAV does its thing and does it well. WRXZ (my old signal when it was WQSD) has dropped, precipitously, over the past two years. I expect a change, now that iHeartMedia acquired the former Qantum properties. To argue in the face of what has been published concerning the "health" of the format is a waste of air and, obviously, a continuing disagreement with programming philosophy.
WRXZ is the station that has been described here as classic, when it was mainstream before (and some sources said active).

Since you mention WQSD, I'll add this. When WQSD was rock-leaning classic hits, WYAV was "classic rock that really rocks". They might not have called it that but that's how it sounded. When WQSD changed, WYAV turned down the volume and even got wimpy once WRXZ was the competition.

Does doing just fine...mean above a 5-share, but no where near a 6.5?

WYAV has a 5.5 share 12+. No one cares about 12+ when the target demo begins at 35. Anything under 35 is gravy.

WYAV has a 5.5 share 12+. No one cares about 12+ when the target demo begins at 35. Anything under 35 is gravy.

ANd in 26-54 they had a 6.7 share, and in 35-64 an 8.1 in the Fall book.

So,...innnnnnnnnnn this 35-64, are they listening more or are they wearing more of those Snoop Pager Gadgets? An 8.1 Is that as high as it could go or is that maxed-out, and thrilled unbelievers to the point that they secretly questioned?.....Hmmmmmm?

Myrtle Beach is NOT a PPM market.

You prove your willful ignorance with every single post.

No one is wearing a PPM because Myrtle Beach, SC is not and will not ever be a PPM market.

If you would care to educate yourself instead of posting the same points stated 80 different ways and repeatedly insulting everyone, you would know that Nielsen has only implemented PPM in the top 50 markets and has no plans to expand PPM service to any further markets.

And before you start to type one further keystroke, I am sick and tired of being insulted and personally attacked by you and you insulting others. The moderators seem to take your side and warn the rest of us. Well, I for one am going on record that I will no longer tolerate or accept it.

The worst part of all this is that in Florence, no one is doing new rock. Perhaps 103-X has some of the songs in its playlist but it is a Hot AC and not even a CHR. Mix 97.7 probably can be heard but it seems to lean rhythmic, people here say. Before WKZQ moved to 96.1 it could be heard in Florence.

But you can't really blame Cumulus when The Dam broke. All that water went somewhere and the 12-plus ratings couldn't have gone much lower.

It's all cyclical. Right now everyone is chasing the Hot AC audience and Alternative and Rock and Classic Rock are not "in" formats for station owners. There's lots of reasons including being perceived as harder to sell.

It doesn't help that the mainstream rock format has been in the product doldrums for what seems to be a decade.

I am just really astounded that in many SC markets there in no Classic Hits/Rock station any more.

Even the ACs are chasing the Hot AC audience. WDAR went Christian but I read 93.7 went Hot AC. And in Myrtle Beach, the AC is Hot AC (The Tide appears to be mainstream but it's new). Same in Columbia except B-106 leans more oldies.

This isn't proof of anything, but Asheville NC also has an "everything that rocks" station. And everything I heard could fit on a classic rock station. But not all classic rock stations would play some of the songs, because I believe there are some that haven't ventured into Nirvana's style of music.

What one station plays doesn't have anything to do with what another station plays, but the more hard-rocking of the two Greensboro NC stations, the one that does include more 90s-style alternative, played The Band last night. That song with all the synthesizer. If someone doesn't like Rock 107 because it doesn't have enough new material then I suppose hearing this song, if it was there, wouldn't be a good thing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom