• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DETROIT HAS A TROPICAL STATION

93.5FM IS NOW PLAYA..(SAME FORMAT AS FT MYERS)
If you ask me .. (i have been a PD in Detroit) this won't work, and I can see it changing to something else in the next 24 months.
1. Limited signal
2. Latinos in this market are almost all Mexican and Guatemalan
3. Advertisers went so long with no radio that they have found other sources to advertise.
4. Zamora controls all the big events be regional or urban.

Not to the mention the music skews older.

I have a sister living in Detroit. Lived in Puerto Rico most of her life. I don't expect her to switch her radio from WDVD or WKQI for this. Hell, she mostly listens to music through her phone.

I agree fully with the original poster. This format makes little sense. Most individuals of Hispanic descent are from (or have relatives who are from) northern or central Mexico. Very few Caribbean Hispanics reside in Metro Detroit. I suspect they are using one of the Florida station's playlists verbatim; this is more about saving a buck than providing worthwhile programming.

I realize 1310 / 107.9 and 1090 / 1480 have Regional Mexican covered. A latin rhythmic CHR format or Spanish AC would've made more sense than a Tropical format, though.

The stupid podcasting format is now down to just one puny translator (99.1, which covers only a handful of northern suburbs reliably).

Last edited:
I suspect they are using one of the Florida station's playlists verbatim; this is more about saving a buck than providing worthwhile programming.
The legal ID on a Michigan radio messaging board (I forgot which one) has a Spanish Pop song after it, something that WWCN only airs as WYUU-HD2 plays only pure Tropical to not cannibalize on Maxima.

The legal ID on a Michigan radio messaging board (I forgot which one) has a Spanish Pop song after it, something that WWCN only airs as WYUU-HD2 plays only pure Tropical to not cannibalize on Maxima.

Huh? I read that 3 times and i could be having a slow stupid moment, but it still doesnt make sense to me

Huh? I read that 3 times and i could be having a slow stupid moment, but it still doesnt make sense to me
My point is, it depends on if 93.5 is running the Fort Myers or Tampa feed. WWCN runs a bit more of a Hot AC format while WYUU-HD2 runs a Tropical format (solely Salsa & Merengue) to not cannibalize on Maxima which is more CHR than Tropical.

Likely "101.9 La Kalle" heard an audio clip of the top-of-hour ID of WMGC-HD2/93.5 W228CJ Detroit via a Michigan radio message board. Then tried to guess which station's feed was being used (WWCN Fort Myers or WYUU-HD2 Tampa) - if indeed the Detroit station is simulcasting one of those feeds. "92.5 Maxima" refers to Beasley's WYUU-FM Tampa.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom