• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Devastating wildfires on Maui kill 6, destroy Lahaina

The media is simply reporting the story. The government agencies are admitting that mistakes were made. Nothing is gained by playing the blame game. But clearly something went wrong. The media HAS mentioned that these were tsunami sirens, but some elected officials are saying they should have been used nonetheless.

Yes, the sirens could (and perhaps should) have been used. Unfortunately, sirens wouldn't have stopped the fire and destruction. A few lives could have possibly been spared, but we'll never know...

Yes, the sirens could (and perhaps should) have been used. Unfortunately, sirens wouldn't have stopped the fire and destruction. A few lives could have possibly been spared, but we'll never know...
So, you're okay with activating tsunami sirens for a fire that was blocking the tsunami routes?

So, you're okay with activating tsunami sirens for a fire that was blocking the tsunami routes?
Not my call. Some of the residents are the ones who think the sirens should have sounded. Maybe they are wrong. I don't think the sirens would have helped much, but opinions differ...

Not my call. Some of the residents are the ones who think the sirens should have sounded. Maybe they are wrong. I don't think the sirens would have helped much, but opinions differ...

Unless Hawaii really had an alert system specific to wildfires and had training to watch out for dry brush leading up to the wildfires. But the search for the dead continues at this time. Also who knows what the State of Hawaii could have done to prevent/reduce risk to the fires prior to this one. Then again the state of Hawaii may not have known the risk of the Hawaiian version of Santa Ana Winds hitting their area.

Last edited:
What type of foliage there is/was where the fire burned. Google Street October 2019 to the North of town.
No wonder it burned big and fast.

View attachment 5488
Yes this type of stuff is very common in California and sometimes there will be control burns in some places where this brush is located and sometimes cows and goats would be on the hills eating brush to reduce the wildfire risk in the state of California. But then again I'm not so sure if the State of Hawaii ever thought about these preventative methods.

The more that I read about how help didn't come for days, and that sirens/evacuations were not issued, and now I'm hearing the emergency director didn't even have experience in disaster preparedness, the more angry I get. These people in Maui who are suffering should feel this way. An entire ocean wasn't used to fight off the flames. Evacuations weren't sent out to phones NOR a route to get out that was safe from the flames.

Another thing that is angering the locals is how power wasn't shut off to the poles before they went down in the 80mph. winds. I wonder: had those lines been turned off during the heavy winds, would these homes and businesses be saved? Those same poles CAUSED the fire, similar to what happened in Paradise CA a few years ago.

Much of this reminds me of the Katrina 'response' in New Orleans. The Hawaiian government has failed Lahaina and West Maui and no one will ever forget this. RIP to all the victims, may God comfort their families, friends, and acquaintances. Death toll at 107 and only 30% of the town searched. I bet there's double that just waiting to be found. :cry::cry:

Good thing too.

Sirens to tell people to take the tsunami evacuation routes which were closed by fires. Yeah, that would have done something okay.
Can't those sirens be overridden by the voice of the sheriff or emergency operator telling them to get away from the fires a certain direction? Doubt it, but I'm not sure.

Sirens to tell people to take the tsunami evacuation routes which were closed by fires. Yeah, that would have done something okay.
What's your beef? The comments are coming from people who live there. Some of them are angry that the sirens weren't used. That's not coming from me. I said it likely would have made no difference. It's already been established that some died trying to use the route that was in the path of the fire. Others here are saying Radio should have told them that they were about to die. It's a horrific event and unfortunately won't be the last...

People who haven't even visited the area speculating on what people experienced or placing blame with no clue of the situation.

You'll note that those who are complaining are not the natives.
The Blame Game is inevitable. The ambulance chasing attorneys are going to swoop in like buzzards. Some relatives of the dead will be looking for a big payday. That's always the ugly side of these disasters.

On a positive note, some of the native Islanders are trying to help as many people as possible. Some lost everything...

Some of us cannot criticize Hawaii's response to the Maui fires when we have to deal with our own fires in our states.

Another wildfire is reported in Hawaii this time on Oahu.

HONOLULU (KITV4) - A large brush fire that broke out in Wahiawa Wednesday afternoon is now 50% contained. Around 540 acres have been burned so far near the Kulaniloko birthing stones area.
HFD responded around 4 p.m. Wednesday, including Air 1 and three federal fire department units. A helicopter will be flying over the area later Thursday morning to assess the damages and fire crews are still working to put out the remaining hot spots.

Fire officials said that no homes are evacuated or threatened, however, three people experiencing homelessness were removed from the area their safety.

Back
Top Bottom