• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ford Reconsiders, Now Keeping AM Radio

At the risk of repeating myself about the radio as a last hope issue - perhaps the USA Gov could require that cell phones with FM (not AM) radios automatically switch over to the FM radio if no cell signal is detected after repeated tries in some short period of time.
FM radio in cell phones required wired headphones in order to get any kind of decent reception -- usually it wouldn't work at all unless you plugged in headphones. And now that the headphone jack has disappeared from most smartphones, and most people are using wireless earbuds, the FM radio tuner has disappeared from them as well.

Here's an opinion on AM radio written by Randy Michaels:

Interesting article, but it fails to mention Randy's previous venture, Merlin Media, was all on FM...and failed.
In my opinion he's not wrong in principal, but not being realistic either. It's pretty well established that younger audiences aren't interested in spoken word content on radio. Spoken word has/is migrating to podcasts which allow for 'on-demand' listening.
I argue if Randy really felt dumping money into AM facilities and developing new programming he, or someone else would have already started that process by now. He knows that ship sailed twenty-plus years ago, but admitting so, doesn't make for a good blog topic.

In my opinion he's not wrong in principal, but not being realistic either. It's pretty well established that younger audiences aren't interested in spoken word content on radio. Spoken word has/is migrating to podcasts which allow for 'on-demand' listening.
I argue if Randy really felt dumping money into AM facilities and developing new programming he, or someone else would have already started that process by now. He knows that ship sailed twenty-plus years ago, but admitting so, doesn't make for a good blog topic.

Exactly.

"It's been 35 years since the last transformative spoken-word format"? Okay, Randy. You're a pro. Pitch one.

And really---if he owned WEEI-AM's tower land, he'd have been on the phone to a broker years ago.

He knows that ship sailed twenty-plus years ago, but admitting so, doesn't make for a good blog topic.

It's always easier and cheaper to tell someone else what to do with their money.

That way, you can cherry pick examples that prove your point and overlook those that don't.

It's also been about 35 years since the last transformative portable radio was released.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom