• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Justice Department Opens Antitrust Review of Big Tech Companies

Going beyond politics, it does make sense for search to be under the stewardship of a non-profit board, whether under governmental supervision or an independent entity.

If you read the linked article, the issue wasn't censorship, but overload.

The problem is there are multiple search engines, not just Google. How does one have a non-profit board overseeing a for-profit service?

And what could be more impartial than an automated system with no human bias?

The problem is there are multiple search engines, not just Google. How does one have a non-profit board overseeing a for-profit service?

Don't humans have to program the automated system? Where can you find humans with no biases, either to do the grunt work or to assign and set the parameters for the grunt work?

Shipping is up to the customer. They can use FedEx, UPS, or any shipper they prefer. USPS is not required at Amazon, and they are actually starting their own in-house shipping option.

Yes but they get cut rate shipping.Mean time us if we have to ship something to somebody.20 plus years here in warehousing and in the shipping biz.We have to pay through the nose to send it.

Yes but they get cut rate shipping.Mean time us if we have to ship something to somebody.20 plus years here in warehousing and in the shipping biz.We have to pay through the nose to send it.

Anyone who buys anything in bulk gets a better rate. But still, Amazon passes on the shipping cost to the consumer. So whatever the cost, it's paid by the buyer. This is not just Amazon. It's the same if you buy from eBay or any other online seller.

Where I live we still have several "Ma/Pa" hardware stores (OK, not exactly "Ma/Pa" but Ace Hardware). I find it much easier when shopping for actual hardware to visit these local stores instead of trying to find packages of 100's at the Big Box store. AND, there are people who actually know hardware available to answer questions. Yes, prices are a bit higher but you get what you pay for.

As long ago as 30 years our local Kmart stores were dirty, unorganized and unhelpful. I last bought a small fan in a Kmart store in the early 70's if that gives you an idea of how much I liked that store. It still works BTW. Sears was a different story one being the quality of its products were generally more expensive than that of Walmart (full of Chinese knockoffs). Customers not needing top quality tools for example quit shopping at Sears. But now Harbor Freight is knocking down Walmart and using the same retailing methods.

As far as USPS bulk shipping......it is keeping the USPS alive right now. There is not enough first class mail to pay for the USPS and a lot of their previous bulk shipments were "stolen" by UPS, Fedex etc. They are now fighting back but they have the added responsibility of visiting every single addressable location in the country six days per week. That is a huge cost the other shippers don't have. You own a business? You want your mail to arrive 3-4 days per week instead of six? That is what you are facing if the USPS can't successfully with private enterprise.

I'm glad your Ma/Pa stores are still alive.Over here they are gone..Agree with Kmart .The store here looked like a dump in the old store and then they moved into a new building "Now Walmart" and the place was still a mess.Sears here in the mall just closed last January.

Agree USPS need the biz.

This is no different than a "discount for quantity" which virtually all customers get on occasion.

Right now there are commercial businesses paying about half for first class mail adverts than what you pay for a birthday card to your aunt. Just today I got a letter (advert) from a local car dealer. The postmark says he paid 26 cents to mail that letter. If I sent the same letter to my son it would cost me 50 cents. The difference is I might send 1 or 2 letters per year. I suspect that dealer sent many thousands.

Anyone who buys anything in bulk gets a better rate. But still, Amazon passes on the shipping cost to the consumer. So whatever the cost, it's paid by the buyer. This is not just Amazon. It's the same if you buy from eBay or any other online seller.

Yes.I agree.Just frustrated on the charges era today... .Thats on anything bulk .Like I want 1000 bolts.The place will discount the price....

This is no different than a "discount for quantity" which virtually all customers get on occasion.

Right now there are commercial businesses paying about half for first class mail adverts than what you pay for a birthday card to your aunt. Just today I got a letter (advert) from a local car dealer. The postmark says he paid 26 cents to mail that letter. If I sent the same letter to my son it would cost me 50 cents. The difference is I might send 1 or 2 letters per year. I suspect that dealer sent many thousands.

Yes .I've worked in advert biz and seen the costs.I have not send a bill or send a letter via USPS in ages since I got autopay on some bills and I pay cash with the other bills in person and email relatives and friends .USPS now loosing out on people doing the same thing.

I deal with an SEO service for my site, although at the entry level.

There is nothing impartial about search results. They can be manipulated or "optimized" by a variety of techniques. Bigger companies put more resources against SEO in an effort to look good in Google and other search engines.

Of course, Google is dominant. In my case, with several sites, Google represents about 92% of searches and Bing is 4.6% and Yahoo is 1.4%. DuckGoGo and several European and Asian search engines add up to about 1%.

Add in the searches that have many paid listings ahead of what you really want, and the question of fairness arises. One interesting thing is to search for any Intel device driver in google, such as a LAN Card or an Intel SSD: you get five to ten third party sources for the driver before the legitimate Intel site, some of which insert bloatware into the download and installer.

There is nothing impartial about search results. They can be manipulated or "optimized" by a variety of techniques.

Not only that, but if you type a single letter in the Google search area, you get a drop-down list of suggested search terms beginning with that letter, And the first one is always the same, at least for me. "A" is "Amazon," "B" is "Bank of America," "C" is "Craigslist," even though I've never used Google to search for those sites. Oh, and "G" is "Google," despite the illogicality of anyone using Google to search for Google.

There is nothing impartial about search results. They can be manipulated or "optimized" by a variety of techniques.

Of course they can be manipulated. Every day I get pitched services that will improve my search results. That's a separate business. That's not Google or Apple. There's no reason why conservatives or far right terrorists can't also employ those exact same techniques to get to the top of search results. Everyone has access to the exact same services and facilities. That's what makes these claims by conservatives a sham. They say the search engine is biased, but only because they don't know what they're doing. What they don't understand is this is business, not politics.

Of course, Google is dominant. In my case, with several sites, Google represents about 92% of searches and Bing is 4.6% and Yahoo is 1.4%. DuckGoGo and several European and Asian search engines add up to about 1%.

Being successful is not against the law. They have created a great business that people choose to use, and alternatives DO exist. And it's free for consumers, so they're not using their position as dominant search engine to cheat consumers.

Last edited:
Yes .I've worked in advert biz and seen the costs.I have not send a bill or send a letter via USPS in ages since I got autopay on some bills and I pay cash with the other bills in person and email relatives and friends .USPS now loosing out on people doing the same thing.

There are certain businesses that do business with first class USPS only. Federal gubmint including the IRS and VA come readily to mind as well as anything which requires an authentic signature (lawyers, banks, credit card disputes, mortgage lenders etc.). So while not the exclusive domain it once was there are still plenty of requirements to use first class.

Email has completely replaced the old inter-office memo and, I suspect, the postcard senders who are now regulated to those postcards with scenic pictures of their vacation destinations.

While autopay is very useful to those of us who understand it and are willing to do without paper there are still many hundreds of thousands of customers who want that piece of paper. While I do use autopay I do not use it paperless so there is still at least one piece of mail sent each month per account. Same goes with financial statements even though I access those online. I like a paper trail.

There may come a time when Ben Franklin's USPS ceases to exist but it won't be in our lifetimes.

There was a broadcast story on TV within the last day or two that focused on 'brand management' and those companies efforts to increase marketability or brand acceptance by skewing customer responses or outright fraud such as forging legal decisions.

Individual companies are also guilty of doing much the same thing by sampling their customers and just dropping the negative or neutral replies.

I have had multiple negative reviews deleted from survey sites which is also a common issue.

Bottom line......the internet is not your friend when searching for opinions. You have to sort through the BS and fraud to find the honest opinion and it is most times just not worth the time required.

I have found it much more reliable to use the time tested word of mouth from people I trust.

My gripe with Amazon with is not a tech giant is the deal with USPS .The USPS should get rid of bulk shipping charges to these companies.

This is my first chance to respond to this although I'm a little late, but I posted this in an earlier thread. In having worked for UPS (Although I recently retired) I know that they negotiate rates with all their customers and give bigger shippers better rates, including Amazon. Fed Ex also does that, and I'd think that the USPS does as well, and that is perfectly legal. And like TheBigA said being successful is not against the law.

Last edited:
There are certain businesses that do business with first class USPS only. Federal gubmint including the IRS and VA come readily to mind as well as anything which requires an authentic signature (lawyers, banks, credit card disputes, mortgage lenders etc.). So while not the exclusive domain it once was there are still plenty of requirements to use first class.

Email has completely replaced the old inter-office memo and, I suspect, the postcard senders who are now regulated to those postcards with scenic pictures of their vacation destinations.

While autopay is very useful to those of us who understand it and are willing to do without paper there are still many hundreds of thousands of customers who want that piece of paper. While I do use autopay I do not use it paperless so there is still at least one piece of mail sent each month per account. Same goes with financial statements even though I access those online. I like a paper trail.

There may come a time when Ben Franklin's USPS ceases to exist but it won't be in our lifetimes.

Hi Landtuna. Yes .USPS will never die yet with Amazon and other online companies. Also add the utilities .I've put time in at a few fulfillment jobs in the area.. .Two with dealt with a few top publishers and Fortune 500 companies.
I was one of the shippers that ran the USPS,Fedex and UPS computers there.I see the discounts and read the shipping manuals while I was there since I was the go to person there.... 20 years combined doing that ruined my back.I had to retire from doing that kind of work 7 years ago.

Comcast cable still sends the paper bill here and it said paid by Autopay on it but Frontier does not send me a paper copy since I told them to go paperless which sucks since they put a fee on the paper bill.

This is my first chance to respond to this although I'm a little late, but I posted this in an earlier thread. In having worked for UPS (Although I recently retired) I know that they negotiate rates with all their customers and give bigger shippers better rates, including Amazon. Fed Ex also does that, and I'd think that the USPS does as well, and that is perfectly legal. And like TheBigA said being successful is not against the law.

Yes .The large fulfillment job I had back in the 1990's sent out trailer loads of UPS along with Fedex and USPS especially around the holidays..This was before Amazon came about .I know they got discounts on their rates...Yes I agree also with TheBigA.Rake the bucks in while you can get it..

There is nothing impartial about search results. They can be manipulated or "optimized" by a variety of techniques. Bigger companies put more resources against SEO in an effort to look good in Google and other search engines.

Add in the searches that have many paid listings ahead of what you really want, and the question of fairness arises. One interesting thing is to search for any Intel device driver in google, such as a LAN Card or an Intel SSD: you get five to ten third party sources for the driver before the legitimate Intel site, some of which insert bloatware into the download and installer.

Hi David...Those number are interesting with Google,Yahoo and Bing .I know Google is ahead on the numbers .I did not know that Yahoo was that far behind.I thought they would have the second big chunk of the pie. .I use Bing at times but they are show and some stuff dont show up as alot on Google.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom