• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFI Major Schedule Change Starting Tomorrow

I would sure hate to be an advertising rep trying to explain to a client why their ads are not pulling like they used to, as Mo Kelly is 75% of the time is unlistenable.

I'm sure Tim's sponsors were consulted about this decision, and will continue to advertise in Tim's show. But they will reach more potential customers at this better time.

Keep in mind that 7-10PM is a very low rated time in radio. Most stations are running some form of syndication. If you have a talent on the level of Tim Conway Jr, you want to put him on when the most people can hear him, and that's from 4 to 7P. Mo Kelly is doing something different for talk radio. Not a traditional talk show. That's something you put in the evening, when fewer people are listening.
Tim Conway has been a big draw for nearly ten years on KFI.

When you have a success like that, "Don't Fix Anything That Ain't Broke."

But the thing is that he is NOT of national syndicated talent caliber for all of the reasons which have already been stated.

The KFI "villagers"on an "unofficial" KFI Facebook pages are up in arms and have their pitchforks in hand and their torches burning.

Conway at 7-10 p.m. has always had a very high commercial load by advertisers who have been there on his show for years. I would sure hate to be an advertising rep trying to explain to a client why their ads are not pulling like they used to, as Mo Kelly is 75% of the time is unlistenable.
KFI will absolutely upsell those advertisers to Conway from 4-7, at a higher drive time rate. If they squawk too loudly about the increase, they'll find a discount/bonus that works.

Not saying your other concerns aren't valid (I've never heard Mo's show), but Conway's advertisers aren't going to abandon him because he's moved to a timeslot with MORE listeners.

Like whom? Mo' Kelly once in a while has an interesting segment, but he is so like he has a stick up his butt and often comes of as condescending dropping names of his "celebrity" friends. He is just not very interesting.
To you. If everyone felt that way, his numbers would be horrific and Robin Bertolucci would have sent him packing.

Robin's been programming KFI for 20+ years. She hasn't crashed the plane yet.

KFI will absolutely upsell those advertisers to Conway from 4-7, at a higher drive time rate. If they squawk too loudly about the increase, they'll find a discount/bonus that works.

Not saying your other concerns aren't valid (I've never heard Mo's show), but Conway's advertisers aren't going to abandon him because he's moved to a timeslot with MORE listeners.
Time will tell.

Time will tell.
Dawg, haven't you learned that people who comment on Facebook are about as representative of the general listening audience as those of us who participate on radio message boards like this, and half-vastly less knowledgeable?

And grocery stores shake up where things are placed every so often specifically to force shoppers to wake up and get out of autopilot mode as they cruise the aisles. Makes them start noticing products they've been ignoring as they hunt for the ones they want.

But the thing is that he is NOT of national syndicated talent caliber for all of the reasons which have already been stated.

The KFI "villagers"on an "unofficial" KFI Facebook pages are up in arms and have their pitchforks in hand and their torches burning.

Conway at 7-10 p.m. has always had a very high commercial load by advertisers who have been there on his show for years. I would sure hate to be an advertising rep trying to explain to a client why their ads are not pulling like they used to, as Mo Kelly is 75% of the time is unlistenable.
It is mind baffling to understand why Kfi did what they did. To put a talk show host on five nights a week that most people don't care for. I don't care for bill Handel but I can see why people listen. He is entertaining and funny Mo Kelley not so much.

It is mind baffling to understand why Kfi did what they did. To put a talk show host on five nights a week that most people don't care for. I don't care for bill Handel but I can see why people listen. He is entertaining and funny Mo Kelley not so much.

Go back to the show description. This isn't simply a show built around one host, but a show built around guests. It's a variety show, which is different from a talk show. They're trying something different.

"I don't care for" and "people making comments on Facebook don't care for" do not equal "most people don't care for".

We don't know how many of KFI's 623,000 weekly listeners do or don't care for Mo. Or whether he'll attract people who don't currently listen to KFI.

"I don't care for" and "people making comments on Facebook don't care for" do not equal "most people don't care for."
A great example of that is Clay Travis. Before he became a talk show host, he was a very controversial sports radio host. Lots of people were passionately opposed to him. His social media was filled with angry comments. Yet iHeart gave him a plum slot.

Go back to the show description. This isn't simply a show built around one host, but a show built around guests. It's a variety show, which is different from a talk show. They're trying something different.
Okay fine but Mo Kelley is not the person to pull this off. Have you listened to his regular show? Instead of Mo Kelley it should be No Kelley iny opinion but time will tell.

KFI is the best commercial talk radio station in the U.S. Tied for #2 in the most competitive market in America, where a significant number of listeners don't tune to English-language stations. And that #2 finish is at a time when many older listeners have begun switching their radios over to the Christmas format on KOST to hear Andy Williams, Nat King Cole and The Carpenters. Nearly all Talk stations take a hit during the December and Holiday books.

KFI is a rare Talk station that doesn't do the "All Republicans Good, All Democrats Bad, All The Time" format. It's a rare Talk station that's almost all live and local, except for late nights. It's a rare Talk station that has a commitment to a 24/7 news department with snappy writing and delivery.

KFI has three competitors, which all follow the standard formula: Cumulus-owned KABC #31, Salem-owned KRLA #35 tie and co-owned KEIB, also #35 tie. None is much of a factor. Sure KFI has a great signal. But it is the only AM station getting any sort of ratings.

I'm inclined to trust that station management knows what they are doing, rearranging the schedule and giving Mo Kelly a five evening-a-week gig, rather than keeping him on Sat. & Sun. nights.

Just my two cents but I think talk radio is not what it used to be 10 or 15 years ago. I am sure the listenership is down across the board, most hosts appear to be aged and irrelevant now. The remaining stations feature largely syndicated content or paid content. The issue is the rise of competition from a streaming explosion which has created hugely popular personalities like Joe Rogan, Lex Friedman and Andrew Huberman. I am sure that ad revenues are down dramatically over the last few years. Just from my own listening habits I rarely listen to KFI now whereas 10 years ago I was tuned to them from morning to evening. If I listen now it's for a few hours of John and Ken before they get tiring from the endless news and commercial breaks and useless banter.

1 - John and Ken who once were extremely influential in Los Angeles and California have lost most of their influence. Over the past many years none of their candidates or proposition recommendations have won. They now spend too much time with useless banter with Debra Mark and Ken going off on idiotic tangents. The best time is when John is solo. But even John seems tired and I suspect may hang it up soon. I am sure they are the biggest salaried hosts on KFI and therefore this is a demotion and likely a cost saving move, plus an acknowledgement by management that they have passed their prime.

2 - Every other host on KFI like Bill Handle, Shannon and Gary and Tim Conway have also shown their age and passed their prime. Haven't listened to any one of them for years.

3 - Mo Kelly has been at the station long enough to have made an impact but never did and therefore this move will crash and burn. But it won't matter since no one is listening at evenings anyways. KFI management is just fiddling at straws to slow the sinking ship and save cash in an ever-increasing difficult market.

But it won't matter since no one is listening at evenings anyways.
Evening cume in LA is 3.9 million. AM drive cume is 5.4 million. I don't see "no one" anywhere there.
KFI management is just fiddling at straws to slow the sinking ship and save cash in an ever-increasing difficult market.
The station cumes 660,000 and is up 10% since this time last year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom