• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kroger and Albertsons in talks of a merger

The evolution of DHL in the United States appears to be an interesting study.

My vague memory of DHL's entry in the US shipping market was with their purchase of Airborne Express in 2003 and looking over the Wikipedia page notes, DHL more or less shut down their US operations in 2008.

With that said, just yesterday, I saw a DHL bright yellow delivery van in our neighborhood in Fleming Island (FL) and DHL has a service operation near JAX airport. I did not have the opportunity to read the fine print on the truck to see if the truck was operated by a DHL franchisee or if it was owned by DHL.

Long ago and far away, when I lived in North Carolina, a friend of mine was the Airborne Express cartage agent for essentially eastern North Carolina, although I can't remember how far south his area went, toward the Wilmington area. He had maybe 8-10 small trucks and vans that he used for Airborne Express coverage for that area. The "fleet" came back to Greenville in the late afternoon/early evening timeframe and generally everything was consolidated to carry the outgoing shipments by truck to RDU and turned over to the Airborne operation there. I had no contact with any of this after 1989, so I don't know if Airborne expanded the air fleet to include PGV or it was all handled by truck to RDU.

Here is more on the Kroger/Albertsons talks.
Interesting in story (thanks for posting) “ Indeed, the day of the merger announcement, (Utah U.S. Senator Mike) Lee had expressed his concerns over one grocery retailer wielding so much market power when U.S. shoppers are struggling.” but this ignores that according to story Walmart has 25% market share (30% if you include Sam’s Club) and combined Kroger/Albertsons would have 19% market share before any store divestitures.

My take is they're two very different cultures. Albertsons is more gourmet and elite. Kroger is more proletariat. When they bought Harris Teeter, the quality at Teeter went down. Anyone who dislikes consolidation of radio, TV, and newspapers will see more of that in this merger. Some Kroger cities also have Safeway. Safeway stores are cleaner. Happening at a bad time, with food prices already going up.
Harris Teeters where I live still look good. The one in the smallest of the three towns isn't as nice but it's nice enough.

My take is they're two very different cultures. Albertsons is more gourmet and elite. Kroger is more proletariat. When they bought Harris Teeter, the quality at Teeter went down. Anyone who dislikes consolidation of radio, TV, and newspapers will see more of that in this merger. Some Kroger cities also have Safeway. Safeway stores are cleaner. Happening at a bad time, with food prices already going up.
Here in Phoenix we have all three major grocery brands plus several regional/local brands which are owned by the majors. Within a half mile of my home there are Fry's Marketplace (traditional grocery with other items like a Costco), a Safeway (very modern) and an Albertson's (clean but average). But we usually go to our neighborhood Basha's (Arizona brand). They are a fully functional grocery, perhaps a few less diverse than the larger stores, but have a eat-in/carry out deli, full wonderful bakery and a fully staffed meat counter with butcher. They are a fraction more expensive but we go there because it is closer and is generally not quite as crowded as the others. For common items in quantity we go to Sam's Club (usually to buy gas along with the reams of toilet paper and other essentials).

BTW, anyone bought eggs lately? I don't usually do the food shopping but we were out so I went to the store. 18 count large AA were $7.30. YIPE!

BTW, anyone bought eggs lately? I don't usually do the food shopping but we were out so I went to the store. 18 count large AA were $7.30. YIPE!
I think egg prices can really vary per chain or store and by geographic region. In Philly Acme (part of Albertsons) 18 count prices are $4.39 ( on sale) to $5.99 this week.

I think egg prices can really vary per chain or store and by geographic region. In Philly Acme (part of Albertsons) 18 count prices are $4.39 ( on sale) to $5.99 this week.
Perhaps my carton had a hidden golden egg. I obviously forgot to look. :cry:

Interesting in story (thanks for posting) “ Indeed, the day of the merger announcement, (Utah U.S. Senator Mike) Lee had expressed his concerns over one grocery retailer wielding so much market power when U.S. shoppers are struggling.” but this ignores that according to story Walmart has 25% market share (30% if you include Sam’s Club) and combined Kroger/Albertsons would have 19% market share before any store divestitures.
True and also Costco and Amazon would be considered the number 3 and 4 stores in the rankings for groceries too if the Kroger and Albertsons merger is approved.

Here's more on the Kroger/Albertsons talks.

"According to the USDA, egg production in August 2022 was down 2% year-over-year, or close to 200 million eggs, due to a worse-than-usual bird flu outbreak. The good news was that 56 million egg-type chicks hatched in August, a 13% increase compared to the same period the previous year.

In September, egg production totaled 8.83 billion, a 3% decline year-over-year. Egg-type chicks hatched for the month totaled 53 million, up 7% year-over-year. While recovering the drop in egg production will take time, normal production levels should return soon."

My local Frys has a dozen large Grade AA eggs for about $4.50, and 18 for $6.00. Walmart is a few cents less, but not by much.

The unfortunate thing is stores that are generally divested by grocers end up in bad, or well intentioned but overstretched small chains. Here in the southeast we had Bi-Lo who sold stores off to a company called Southern Family Markets who closed after a few years. Bruno’s was also sold off and the company that acquired their stores, Belle Foods at the time, was in massive debt and failed.

The buyers just couldn’t keep prices competitive, or had no marketing and couldn’t invest in the stores generally.
And then there's Haggen who had 18 stores in the Pacific NW and thought it would be a great idea to buy 100+ stores being divested by Albertson's and Safeway. All located in very heavily competitive CA, NV and AZ markets. It was a complete disaster, and they accused Albertson's of sabotaging the stores before turning them over. After declaring bankruptcy and closing all but a small number stores they ended up selling what was left of the chain to Albertson's. One Albertson's store in Scottsdale that became Haggen later became an Albertson's again.

Here is more on the Albertsons/Kroger talks.

The Washington state Supreme Court has brushed aside the final remaining legal hurdle in the way of a $4 billion dividend by Albertsons to its shareholders ahead of a proposed merger with rival Kroger.

The state’s highest court on Tuesday declined to review a case against the dividend brought by state Attorney General Bob Ferguson, The Seattle Times reported.

Down here in the Valley of the Stunned Albertsons already owns or co-ops with Safeway. So is the merger proposing Albertsons and Safeway are both going to be rolled into Krogers or will Safeway disconnect from Albertsons/Kroger?

Back
Top Bottom