• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The all powerful disney company.

How on earth did they become so big? Youd think viacom/cbs or comcast would have a piece of their pie. It seemed like years ago abc, abc family and espn were their own small little group along with touchstone and disney films. How the hell did this happen?

How on earth did they become so big? Youd think viacomcbs or comcast would have a piece of their pie. It seemed like years ago abc, abc family and espn were their own small little group along with touchstone and disney films. How the hell dod this happen?
Some of this was when Disney took over the now 20th Century Studios from Fox Inc. This is when Disney got full control of Hulu and Disney+ in 2019. Also Disney sold off Radio Disney to different entities, ABC Radio affiliates to Citadel Inc (Now known as Cumulus) and ESPN Radio affiliates to Good Karma Brands. Note KRDC is the only radio station Disney owns and it is an ESPN Radio affiliate in Los Angeles that simulcasts Good Karma Owned KSPN Los Angeles.

Some of this was when Disney took over the now 20th Century Studios from Fox Inc. This is when Disney got full control of Hulu and Disney+ in 2019. Also Disney sold off Radio Disney to different entities, ABC Radio affiliates to Citadel Inc (Now known as Cumulus) and ESPN Radio affiliates to Good Karma Brands. Note KRDC is the only radio station Disney owns and it is an ESPN Radio affiliate in Los Angeles that simulcasts Good Karma Owned KSPN Los Angeles.

I wonder how disney ever got the kind of money to buy properties like marvel, star wars and eventually fox? Cbs for example has always had staller ratings and nbc has universal.

One word: ESPN.

For much of the 2000s and 2010s, ESPN was the most profitable segment of the Mickey Mouse operation. Disney also has other successful cable networks, most notably the youth-oriented Disney Channel, and now several cable networks purchased from Fox.

Moving forward, Disney has also had the most successful transition into the streaming space, with Disney+ and ESPN+. Meanwhile, Paramount+ and Peacock are niche players in streaming.

I wonder how disney ever got the kind of money to buy properties like marvel, star wars and eventually fox? Cbs for example has always had staller ratings and nbc has universal.

Broadcast TV is not the future. Disney understands that. Disney is focusing on content, not transmission. That's what sets it apart. So when they buy things, they buy valuable, unique content that they can merchandise across multiple platforms.

However, the stock has lost half of it's value this year, and they current CEO is being blamed.

Broadcast TV is not the future. Disney understands that. Disney is focusing on content, not transmission. That's what sets it apart. So when they buy things, they buy valuable, unique content that they can merchandise across multiple platforms.
One of the things that has made their TV operation so successful is the "bully pulpit" position of having nearly all cable carriers including, with no options, ESPN channels in "basic cable". Multiple time with multiple carriers I have tried to have all ESPN channels eliminated, only to be told that I can't modify the "basic cable" lineup.

I did some checking and found that ESPN sets up their "do it our way or you don't get ESPN" agreements with cable systems so that people can't eliminate their channels. At present, I pay around $12 a month to my cable provider to cover their charge from ESPN... even though I never have or will watch anything on ESPN.

I think that as we see things like Amazon Prime taking some sports events and teams and leagues developing their own services that ESPN can / could become a problem area for Disney in the future.

I think that as we see things like Amazon Prime taking some sports events and teams and leagues developing their own services that ESPN can / could become a problem area for Disney in the future.

On the other hand, Amazon stock also lost half its value this year. At some point, they will have to improve profitability, and I don't see how investing in live regional sports events will do that. There's more money in content that doesn't expire.

Disney doesn’t have full control of Hulu. Comcast/NBC Universal still owns part of Hulu, although Disney has made it clear it would like to buy this from Comcast to give Disney 100% ownership of Hulu
Good point it's just that NBC owned outlets do not even advertise Hulu mainly because they are protecting their interests in promoting Peacock. It was the 67% Control of Hulu that Disney got in 2019 when they bought 20th Century Studios from Fox Inc.

One word: ESPN.

For much of the 2000s and 2010s, ESPN was the most profitable segment of the Mickey Mouse operation. Disney also has other successful cable networks, most notably the youth-oriented Disney Channel, and now several cable networks purchased from Fox.

Moving forward, Disney has also had the most successful transition into the streaming space, with Disney+ and ESPN+. Meanwhile, Paramount+ and Peacock are niche players in streaming.
I wonder how comcast and viacomcbs will fare in the future? Sports aside and the nfl games they carry, they still seem to hold a broadcast model of doing things.

Nobody has yet to mention one of Disney's biggest cash cows: Their theme parks.

Yes, the theme park division had problems during the Covid-19 epidemic, but unless a new variant of it (or some other new, extremely contagious virus with a high hospitalization and/or death rate) emerges that again closes down society, visits to Disney's theme parks should increase in 2023 and 2024, which should also lead to bigger profits. After all, even one day at a Disney theme park doesn't come cheap.

Disneyworld, Disneyland, the wonderful world of Disney, retail of Disney products...the Mouse was making boat loads of money long before it decided to expand out into other content.

Disneyworld, Disneyland, the wonderful world of Disney, retail of Disney products...the Mouse was making boat loads of money long before it decided to expand out into other content.
That's what set them apart from the other Hollywood studios. There was no Paramountland or MGM World. Those other studios were strictly movie companies (although MGM did have a record label for a time) when Disney was already a multidimensional brand. Plenty of money in the bank for Disney to acquire other media when the time was right.

That's what set them apart from the other Hollywood studios. There was no Paramountland or MGM World. Those other studios were strictly movie companies (although MGM did have a record label for a time) when Disney was already a multidimensional brand. Plenty of money in the bank for Disney to acquire other media when the time was right.
There is universal theme park though.

That's what set them apart from the other Hollywood studios. There was no Paramountland or MGM World.
There definitely was. Paramount owned several theme parks from 1992 until the first CBS/Viacom split in 2006. Most notable to me (being an Indiana kid) was "Paramount King's Island" near Cincinnati.

For whatever reason, when Viacom and CBS split, the theme parks were given to CBS. CBS then sold them on. King's Island is now owned by Cedar Fair -- not sure about the status of the others.

And hugely profitable movies, too. Walt was smart to find amusement parks as a good fit with the images of his films. That provided a steady income while the movie industry is cyclical

There definitely was. Paramount owned several theme parks from 1992 until the first CBS/Viacom split in 2006. Most notable to me (being an Indiana kid) was "Paramount King's Island" near Cincinnati.

For whatever reason, when Viacom and CBS split, the theme parks were given to CBS. CBS then sold them on. King's Island is now owned by Cedar Fair -- not sure about the status of the others.
Interesting. I can't think of a single iconic character or movie that I immediately associate with Paramount, but can easily come up with at least 20 Disney characters or films. What did the Paramount theme parks do to enhance the Paramount image and put the brand front of mind?

Which makes King's Island co-owned with Cedar Point in Sandusky,OH

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom