• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBLS changes weekend lineup

JerseyDude said:
Has WBLS switched formats?

More RadioInfo Career Moves. YMF Media’s hip hop WBLS, New York welcomes rap legend Doug E. Fresh to the air staff with a weekend program dubbed, “The Show” that airs on Saturday mornings from 9:00 am to 11:00 am…

Don't read any more into that...WBLS flipping to hip-hop would be a HUGE mistake...we know that and they know that.

For those commenting how much Kiss was effectively a full time oldies station, at its end: clearing actually listening was outside of the evidence collection process.

Kiss, much like the syndicated shows that it ran afternoons (and mornings I think), played all kinds of newer music but it was also unafraid to break into gold about 25% of the time.

Kiss didn't have a demo problem. Kiss's parent company, from what I understand, had a cashflow problem, and either CBS or Disney had a Disney or CBS problem.

----
In any case, I suppose, as a child of the 90s, it makes me smile to hear Zhane again.

But, to be perfectly honest, by the 90's R&B was already stagnant and irrevocably fixated on its past. Look at a very relevant half of the urban superstars of the 90's (91-98): Tupac Shakur, the artists of Death Row Records, the artists of Bad Boy Entertainment, and the artists of Jive Records...the music on their albums was pre-SwizzBeats/MannyFresh, ie it sampled bother well known and obscure funk/disco/paradise-garage music from the 70s and 80s. Anyone who grew up in the 90's will find the "gold" WBLS plays familiar and unoffensive. But, lots of people who grew up listening to Steve Wonder in the 60s and 70s might find Tupac song that samples Steve Wonder worthy of station changing.

The safe approach is to stay the course.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom