• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

America's Fastest Growing and Wealthiest Demo

The other thing advertisers seems to miss is that, yes, older folks are interested in the healthcare products, insurance programs, funeral planning and retirement/financial planning services that are available to them, but while many older people realize they're not 30 or 40 years old anymore, they don't necessarily see themselves as "elderly" or what were traditionally called "senior citizens". People are living much longer lives and many are trying to experience them to the fullest. Retirement isn't seen as a time when one goes home to sit in a rocker and wait for death, but to do things they maybe couldn't years earlier, due to time and financial constraints. Many who retire are potentially looking at 20 or more good years before they start to "slow down", yet there seems to be an extreme overload of ads for the stuff I mentioned above on TV networks or channels that are watched primarily by that demographic - to the point where it just gets depressing.
Those products (especially health care) are sold in such a way that taking this drug or supplement, or having this procedure done, helps the person be young and active into retirement. Life insurance, etc....peace of mind that your spouse can still have an active life when you're gone. I've seen senior targeted ads for the "Grandpad", a simple phone/tablet that lets Grandma stay in instant contact with kids and grandkids. Doubt you'll hear those on the radio.

The other thing advertisers seems to miss is that, yes, older folks are interested in the healthcare products, insurance programs, funeral planning and retirement/financial planning services that are available to them, but while many older people realize they're not 30 or 40 years old anymore, they don't necessarily see themselves as "elderly" or what were traditionally called "senior citizens". People are living much longer lives and many are trying to experience them to the fullest. Retirement isn't seen as a time when one goes home to sit in a rocker and wait for death, but to do things they maybe couldn't years earlier, due to time and financial constraints. Many who retire are potentially looking at 20 or more good years before they start to "slow down", yet there seems to be an extreme overload of ads for the stuff I mentioned above on TV networks or channels that are watched primarily by that demographic - to the point where it just gets depressing.
I see lots of reverse mortgage and life insurance ads on TV that target the now older half of Gen X 1965-1972, Jones Generation 1959-1964 approx and at this point the bulk of boomers.

I see lots of reverse mortgage and life insurance ads on TV that target the now older half of Gen X 1965-1972, Jones Generation 1959-1964 approx and at this point the bulk of boomers.

All of those ads have lots of legal information, and they've discovered all of that information is presented better on TV, not radio.

All of those ads have lots of legal information, and they've discovered all of that information is presented better on TV, not radio.
Simply because reading out the 8 lines of fine print they display on the TV ad would take up too much time.

Simply because reading out the 8 lines of fine print they display on the TV ad would take up too much time.
Even with a digital TV and 20/20 vision the fine print is not readable nor is it able to be read by the average viewer in the time it is displayed. It is a farce.

If I see Jimmy jj Walker or Joe Namath one more time advertising expanded Medicaid programs I will throw a brick through my tv. Unfortunately a brick can’t destroy today’s tv’s. Seriously these programs are scams, IMO.

If I see Jimmy jj Walker or Joe Namath one more time advertising expanded Medicaid programs I will throw a brick through my tv. Unfortunately a brick can’t destroy today’s tv’s. Seriously these programs are scams, IMO.
Lol, yep, those are a few of the spots I was referring to in my post above!

Those programs operate as a sort of subcontractor to Medicare. By limiting visits to non-approved physicians and facilities and by negotiating rates with the approved ones, they can add similarly controlled optical and dental and add things like ride services. Since they operate under the review of Medicare, they are not scams but do limit one's choices... just like any HMO does.

All those clients work because the ads don't sell the product, they sell the visual display of how the products improve life for users. That requires video.

Radio is at a disadvantage for the categories that TV thrives on.
Then the creative people don't know know to use, "Theater of the Mind." I'm surprised you don't have more faith in the medium of radio.

Then the creative people don't know know to use, "Theater of the Mind." I'm surprised you don't have more faith in the medium of radio.

Some do, some don't. I occasionally hear some good radio spots. The Taco Bell spots are well written, and usually are rich in sound. I've been motivated to get a double steak grilled cheese burrito because of their spots. It takes a lot to get me to eat Taco Bell.

Then that is an agency problem, not a radio problem. Groups like RAB keep trying to promote good creative for radio, and agencies just use the copy from the TV spot.

Radio's issue is not creativity... it is how hard it is to buy. In some nations, radio gets well above 10% of all ad money and that occurs where there are easy to buy national networks with large audiences. Make a couple of network buys and you have big shares in the whole country; in the US to do that you have to buy hundreds of stations and you only reach a portion of the nation.

And, as BigA noted, ads that require extensive disclaimers like pharmaceuticals can put those in on-screen texts and avoid the lengthy copy requirements that radio would need to be in compliance.

Even with a digital TV and 20/20 vision the fine print is not readable nor is it able to be read by the average viewer in the time it is displayed. It is a farce.
But it is in compliance.

IMHO, that whole regulation about drug disclaimers is rather absurd: prescription meds require a doctor's prescription. It's up to the doctor to determine if the drug is right for their patient. Those disclaimers do nothing to prevent misuse, as they don't address the problem.

Heck, I'm 26 and I'm glad that MeTV is around. They were one of the pioneers in some of these random "sub-channels" that we get on TV today. It's nice to see TV shows from the 80's and 90's (like Magnum PI, Macgyver, Rockford Files, Stargate SG-1, and Walker Texas Ranger) ending up on ANY TV channel. I don't even recall these shows ending up on any specialty cable channel before channels like MeTV, RTN, Antenna TV, Grit, and Comet came about.

Heck, I'm 26 and I'm glad that MeTV is around. They were one of the pioneers in some of these random "sub-channels" that we get on TV today. It's nice to see TV shows from the 80's and 90's (like Magnum PI, Macgyver, Rockford Files, Stargate SG-1, and Walker Texas Ranger) ending up on ANY TV channel. I don't even recall these shows ending up on any specialty cable channel before channels like MeTV, RTN, Antenna TV, Grit, and Comet came about.
Lots of "Classic TV" shows were once heavily featured on networks like Nickelodeon and TV Land back in the 1990s and possibly into the 2000s, but Nickelodeon now seems to be offering more original programming, while TV Land features mostly series that were popular within the past decade.

Lots of "Classic TV" shows were once heavily featured on networks like Nickelodeon and TV Land back in the 1990s and possibly into the 2000s, but Nickelodeon now seems to be offering more original programming, while TV Land features mostly series that were popular within the past decade.
TV Land has definitely shifted their focus from "classic" tv to reruns of comedy programs from the 2000's. Most of the TV channels I listed are a little cheesy at times, but it's good to see some of these older programs finding a new home. I never expected any of these shows to ever be available over the air ever again. With the magic of DTV, they are.

I know there's research that advertising to >49 is (generally) more expensive than it's worth.

Seems like there should be more research into how to advertise to this fastest growing/wealthiest demo (maybe get a government grant to study this issue more :) )

I still like my idea of including excerpts of the TV ad soundtrack in the (short) radio ad (for the same product/service of course),
Movies and TV shows are promoted on Radio with bits of movie/TV dialog/sound effects and possibly some of the theme song.

Kirk Bayne

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom