• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bar sued for copyright infringement for playing music without license

Ah, this helps explain why I've never heard background music at any ALDI.

There may be other reasons for that. Aldi runs on a very German model of efficiency (I have seen them run the place effectively with six employees on the busiest of days). They may feel the music is distracting.

In general when rights holders go after a store and the store turns off the music, and then the store informs its customers that it was forced to do so by legal action over royalties, the customers almost never take the side of the artists or the recording companies.

Just as when they were going after parents of illegally downloading teens, they have more to lose in goodwill than they have to gain in cash.

Last edited:
There may be other reasons for that. Aldi runs on a very German model of efficiency (I have seen them run the place effectively with six employees on the busiest of days). They may feel the music is distracting.

No music in Dollar General either, and those stores operate with only three employees present much of the time. Both DG and Aldi save money at every opportunity. It's a big part of what allows them to offer such low prices. Not only are they saving on payroll, but they're not paying for background music through some subscription service or risking legal action from publishers by using OTA radio in the stores.

During my on air days, we had to write down each song we played about a week each year but by the 1980s, that mostly ended. In the early 1990s I worked a mostly Jones Satellite Soft AC station. When ASCAP, I think it was, contacted me about this, I was told to submit the Jones format used and number of hours we were live with a percentage of that 'live' time was music. Fees were based on station sales and amounted to about 7-8% of gross receipts. Low Power FMs, paying likely the lowest rates, were paying about $1,000 a year between ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.

As for in store listening. I knew stores nailed by BMI. Funny thing is after being threatened with astronomical fines, Muzak would call within about a week and offer a service in the $60 a month range (1980s rate) that included music licensing. Once they signed BMI would back off. They did nail a convenience store that rigged up a radio for the outside speakers during a championship football game so consumers wouldn't miss the game as they filled gas tanks. The music licensing rep hounded the owner for months before the owner had enough and threatened them right back, making a call to his congressman to look in to their strong arm tactics. He never paid them a dime and made it his mission to cost them a bunch of time and headaches after they threatened the same. It helped he had a brother that was an attorney, likely with a bit too much time on his hands.

Playing music in stores can be a double-edged sword.

A local Home Depot used to play a local Oldies station. Only problem was the music was interrupted every 15 seconds by store announcements. Nothing worse than enjoying an Oldie or the DJ telling a story and then being blasted with a loud interruption (especially one that doesn't pertain to you).

A local Home Depot used to play a local Oldies station.

How about every ten minutes they play a Lowes spot? That's why Home Depot set up their own in-store music system. The company runs it and inserts their own announcements that don't interrupt songs. They also pay the music royalties.

BTW I know some former broadcasters who make a ton of money creating and operating in-store music services for retail chains.

And yes, they pay music royalties. They are the new versions of Muzak. There's more money doing this than owning radio stations.

I have fond memories of a bookstore in Lower Manhattan that always played 96.3 FM WQXR. Do the same licensing rules apply to classical music or classical music stations (or both)?

The music is, but not the performances.

No music in Dollar General either, and those stores operate with only three employees present much of the time. Both DG and Aldi save money at every opportunity. It's a big part of what allows them to offer such low prices. Not only are they saving on payroll, but they're not paying for background music through some subscription service or risking legal action from publishers by using OTA radio in the stores.

There is a Dollar General in my neighborhood. My daughter used to work there.
They play local radio over the loudspeakers.

No, I'm not telling you where it is.....buncha narcs! :D

The posts about why Aldi doesn't play music are pretty well accurate: https://www.rd.com/food/fun/why-doesnt-aldi-play-music/

Dollar Tree also does the same thing: https://consumerist.com/2010/07/07/dollar-tree-stops-playing-music-in-store/

In the past I've heard Dollar General stores that would play local radio stations but I haven't heard it recently, so it may be that they may have stopped on their own or were caught.
All the Dollar Generals I go in play a radio station.

The posts about why Aldi doesn't play music are pretty well accurate: https://www.rd.com/food/fun/why-doesnt-aldi-play-music/

Dollar Tree also does the same thing: https://consumerist.com/2010/07/07/dollar-tree-stops-playing-music-in-store/
“There’s been research that suggests playing relaxing music in stores makes customers relax and browse more, which is why many stores play music.”

So where are these stores that play relaxing music?

The ones I shop in annoy me to the point I can't wait to get out of them.

Update: The owners of the Blackstone Irish Pub say they most likely will stop having live music performances.

He's right about one thing: If he pays ASCAP, then his next call will be from BMI, and he'll be paying at least two companies.

He says he has a commercial Spotify account, which is good. They pay royalties on their music.

Yup. Disney actually has law firms on retainer across the country. They go to flea markets and rummage sales looking for bootleg merchandise.

I bet they find a lot of bootleg radio disney jams cd s. Haha that seems like a waste of money.

Last edited:
My barber -- who I've been going to for over 30 years -- always has the radio on, so the rules probably haven't changed, especially if the music publishers are so intent on catching every violator.

What station though because if he had like a talk station on like rush limbaugh I believe that is public domain.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom