• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bar sued for copyright infringement for playing music without license

What station though because if he had like a talk station on like rush limbaugh I believe that is public domain.

Technically they could get a restaurant or store on the bumper music and music used in commercials.

I was in my local Dollar General store tonight and noticed they did have music coming from some sort of Muzak type service playing AC. So I guess they're legal.

I've mentioned this before but Food Rite, a local chain of grocery stores in my area has a music feed that is a mix of 70's to 90's AC and CCM that I've never heard anywhere else, and the CCM part is unusual because no Christian station in the area would play it at that time, Would this be some sort of customized feed from something like Pandora or Spotify? I like it but I've never heard it anywhere else except for this chain of stores.

Hi All.New here.Long time lurker that now came out of the woods and join in...Thanks goes out to the board admin for letting me into the conversations here ...

Mostly they got to pay performance fees.Some get away with it.I'm waiting when we all got to pay the writers of "Happy Birthday" their performance fees....LOL.
Also sooner or later they will get doctors offices to pay up with using OTA radio stations for lite rock background music.I could add more but very busy here...

Have a nice weekend....

Pete.............

Is "God Bless America," still played by some sports teams, public domain? I assume the real national anthem (Star-Spangled Banner) and the longstanding unofficial ones (America and America the Beautiful) are. But is Irving Berlin's estate still raking in the nickels and dimes from public performances of Irving's show tune that so many people now apparently believe is the anthem, judging from the way hats are removed and hands placed over hearts when it's played?

Hi All.New here.Long time lurker that now came out of the woods and join in...Thanks goes out to the board admin for letting me into the conversations here ...

Mostly they got to pay performance fees.Some get away with it.I'm waiting when we all got to pay the writers of "Happy Birthday" their performance fees....LOL.
Also sooner or later they will get doctors offices to pay up with using OTA radio stations for lite rock background music.I could add more but very busy here...

Have a nice weekend....

Pete.............

Good evening Pete thank you for the input.

I was in my local Dollar General store tonight and noticed they did have music coming from some sort of Muzak type service playing AC. So I guess they're legal.
I went in a new Dollar General and didn't hear whether the music was coming from a radio station but it seemed to be from a single speaker. It was built as a video store, though. Before anyone says anything, that was built after the concept was considered obsolete.

Happy Birthday to You was ruled by courts to be in the public domain so nobody can claim the rights to it now.

Sorry for the delay .Thanks Anotherguy.I did not know if it was cleared from copyright claims.....

OK. Does anybody know what holiday songs are in public domain as the 2019 holiday season coming upon us.........

Pete...

OK. Does anybody know what holiday songs are in public domain as the 2019 holiday season coming upon us.........

A lot of the religious ones are out of copyright. Silent Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Joy To the World.
Also: Auld Lang Syne, and Jingle Bells are old enough to be public domain songs.

Any song composed on or after January 1, 1924 is still under copyright. So that includes these Christmas songs, along with many others:

Silver Bells (published 1950)
Frosty The Snowman (1950)
All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth (1948)
It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (1963)
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1949)

A lot of the religious ones are out of copyright. Silent Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Joy To the World.
Also: Auld Lang Syne, and Jingle Bells are old enough to be public domain songs.

Any song composed on or after January 1, 1924 is still under copyright. So that includes these Christmas songs, along with many others:

Silver Bells (published 1950)
Frosty The Snowman (1950)
All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth (1948)
It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year (1963)
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1949)

Hi PTBoardOp94.Thanks for the info.......The songs listed more likely fall into book of the most recorded holiday songs around........

Pete........

I went in the new Dollar General and walked up to the one big speaker. I didn't hear a station ID or anything but all the songs are the same as what I would hear on a Breeze-type soft AC. We don't have one around here, but it might be the Jack station. The speaker had rainbow colors. Sometimes just the first two, sometimes five. That may have something to do with the volume going up and down.

I went in the new Dollar General and walked up to the one big speaker. I didn't hear a station ID or anything but all the songs are the same as what I would hear on a Breeze-type soft AC. We don't have one around here, but it might be the Jack station. The speaker had rainbow colors. Sometimes just the first two, sometimes five. That may have something to do with the volume going up and down.

What market is the station in?

Something has occurred to me. My dentist used to play music that was on the radio. Now he plays Sirius/XM. Since there are individual speakers in most of the rooms, then the issue of paying for the music comes up, Sirius/XM would have a way of taking care of that, I'm sure.

Something has occurred to me. My dentist used to play music that was on the radio. Now he plays Sirius/XM. Since there are individual speakers in most of the rooms, then the issue of paying for the music comes up, Sirius/XM would have a way of taking care of that, I'm sure.

SiriusXM has a commercial service available and businesses pay for it. Of course, the dentist could be using his personal subscription to entertain himself and his patients and hoping that the copyright police won't drop by.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom