• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

End of DST?

I'd rather have year round DST vs Summer EST. I love it getting dark around 9 in the summer. I would hate to lose that hour at night. It's depressing when the sun sets at 4:30 in winter. I'd rather it set at 5:30.

Several counties on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are on Central Time.
They voted to switch to that because all of the nearby population centers
in Wisconsin and Minnesota were on Central Time and it made more sense
to synchronize with them than with Detroit, a 14-hour drive away.

Where everyone seems to be wrapped around the axle is the definition of 'time'.

6:00 AM sunrise/breakfast, 12:00 noon - lunch, 5:00 PM sunset, 6:00 PM dinner, 10:00 PM bedtime

So, what if four hours was removed from those times. In twelve months, the adjustment would be made.

Several counties on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are on Central Time.
They voted to switch to that because all of the nearby population centers
in Wisconsin and Minnesota were on Central Time and it made more sense
to synchronize with them than with Detroit, a 14-hour drive away.

You'd think that counties in northern Maine would try to do the same thing, switching to Atlantic Time to match up with Moncton, New Brunswick, but since it's an international border rather than a state border, I have a feeling that the towns up that way do more commerce with downstate cities like Bangor and Portland. Still, as far as inconvenient sunrise/sunset times go, no tinkering with DST can paper over the fact that Maine really ought to be on Atlantic Time.

There are still about 5000 AM stations trying to make a living. It’s not irrelevant to them.
Ans still several of the highest billers in the US like WINS and WCBS and KFI are AM only... AM may be on the decline but don’t tell that to WNAX or KRVN and the likes, either.
Sorry, David, but I can't sympathize with them. They knew the risks, and assumed same. Here in mid-TN, we have about nine hours of daylight in December. So stations could have morning drive in daylight, OR afternoon drive in daylight, but obviously not both.

One small station that I worked for had a talk show aimed specifically at their COL, and it aired at 9:00 in the evening. Because of the low power, it was aimed specifically at that small town, not the county as a whole.

There is really nothing the FCC can do to mitigate the damage on AM stations as it is beyond the Commission's purview to change the laws of physics.
Yeah, that was my point in my previous message. We can't really "save" daylight; we can only shift it.

"Darkness saving time" as I call it has but one use: it is very beneficial to viewing Christmas lights in December!

Tennessee is almost 500 miles wide between Memphis and Bristol, so one time zone for all probably wouldn't work. We seem to need to be synced more with Atlanta than Nashville in East Tennessee
I am fully in favor of keeping the Volunteer State split over two time zones BECAUSE of the east-to-west width of our state. It works, so I am in favor of keeping it. (If year-round DST were to take effect in TN, our state legislature would almost certainly need to amend east-TN OUT of it.)

You'd think that counties in northern Maine would try to do the same thing, switching to Atlantic Time to match up with Moncton, New Brunswick, but since it's an international border rather than a state border, I have a feeling that the towns up that way do more commerce with downstate cities like Bangor and Portland. Still, as far as inconvenient sunrise/sunset times go, no tinkering with DST can paper over the fact that Maine really ought to be on Atlantic Time.
I've never been to Maine, but I remember reading an article somewhere about the extremely early sunsets in Maine in the winter because they are on eastern time. The only time that our "sunsets" are that early here in TN is when we have really cloudy days in Nov. and Dec., and the de facto sunset is much earlier than it would be on a clear sunny day.

Just for the heck of it, I checked the sunrise times for the largest city that is almost exactly on the equator, Quito, Ecuador.

The differences in hours of daylight between June and December are about 2 minutes. So, there are on average 12 hours and 4 minutes of daylight every day of the year.

Sunrise times vary from 5:53 to 6:17, and sunset is similarly offset, due to the slight tilt even at equatorial regions, of the planet.

But, like everywhere in Latin America except Mexico, there are no daytime directional stations. There are even very few stations that cut power at night. And the number of directional stations that exist can be counted on one's fingers... usually a directional station is designed intentionally to focus power over a market, not for protection.

I understand that some people have a bit of trouble adjusting. But since it happens over the weekend, it gives everyone time to adjust. I guess I don't understand the problem. Some Sunday mornings I have things scheduled early and get up an hour before I'd like. Sometimes I don't. Isn't changing from Standard Time to Daylight Time the same thing?

We really can't change daylight time/standard time, especially in northern states. In the winter, you need the extra daylight in the morning for kids going to school. In the summer, you don't want it getting light at 3:30 a.m., as it would in places like Maine, where in June and July, you see the sky getting light around 4:30, even with daylight time.

Don't you want to your summer evenings to have light till 8:30 or 9pm? You really would give that up so you don't have to adjust your internal clock over the course of a weekend once a year? Not unlike when you get up an hour early on a Sunday to go fishing or hiking or to a nice breakfast restaurant?

I've mad this point....you would really think that over the course of an entire year, people never have occasion to get up an hour earlier except that one time a year. My wife's car won't start, guess what, I have to throw something on and take her to work, a couple of hours before I would normally get up.

Some of you want 4:30am sunrises in the summer (do you plan to do your mowing before work? Your neighbors may not appreciate it.) Others want those 9am winter sunrises because I guess we can play golf from 5:30-6:15pm in December.

I understand that some people have a bit of trouble adjusting. But since it happens over the weekend, it gives everyone time to adjust. I guess I don't understand the problem. Some Sunday mornings I have things scheduled early and get up an hour before I'd like. Sometimes I don't. Isn't changing from Standard Time to Daylight Time the same thing?

We really can't change daylight time/standard time, especially in northern states. In the winter, you need the extra daylight in the morning for kids going to school. In the summer, you don't want it getting light at 3:30 a.m., as it would in places like Maine, where in June and July, you see the sky getting light around 4:30, even with daylight time.

Don't you want to your summer evenings to have light till 8:30 or 9pm? You really would give that up so you don't have to adjust your internal clock over the course of a weekend once a year? Not unlike when you get up an hour early on a Sunday to go fishing or hiking or to a nice breakfast restaurant?

At my latitude (32.2°) that 5:30am sunrise / 7:20pm sunset is just fine.

In December, we have kids waiting for the bus in the dark anyway. And we're on standard time in the winter. And we're on the eastern edge of central time, so that should work for us having just about the earliest sunrise possible.

In December, we have kids waiting for the bus in the dark anyway. And we're on standard time in the winter. And we're on the eastern edge of central time, so that should work for us having just about the earliest sunrise possible.

There are more auto accidents in the afternoon than morning, so it can't help being dark just after lunch. LOL. In areas where it gets dark before "most" people get off work, it affects sales and therefore the economy. Of course that won't matter when no one buys anything locally and this board is long gone due to the death of radio. As for school starting in the dark, there is a movement to start school later for the well-being, health and grades of students. Maybe it all will work out that school starts a bit later and few students are in the dark. Of course the fact that percentage of students in the dark is a tiny portion of the overall population, so I think the other 95% or more of the population probably prefers light later in the afternoon on the shortest days of the year. If not, why is there such a push to end it quickly?

As Firepoint properly states, it gets dark at 4:40 PM CST in Nashville on the shortest day. It's tough to time it right when you only have 9 hours and 42 minutes of sun on that day. I like the late sunsets of Eastern Time. Later light is better than it being light at 4 am to wake up you over achievers that get up with the chickens, when I prefer to party the night away with a nice 8 pm sunset. Dark at 4 is such a bore.

Nashville is one place it has never been dark in the 7am hour; standing around waiting for the school bus in the dark will be brand new with year-round DST

There are more auto accidents in the afternoon than morning, so it can't help being dark just after lunch. LOL. In areas where it gets dark before "most" people get off work, it affects sales and therefore the economy. Of course that won't matter when no one buys anything locally and this board is long gone due to the death of radio. As for school starting in the dark, there is a movement to start school later for the well-being, health and grades of students. Maybe it all will work out that school starts a bit later and few students are in the dark. Of course the fact that percentage of students in the dark is a tiny portion of the overall population, so I think the other 95% or more of the population probably prefers light later in the afternoon on the shortest days of the year. If not, why is there such a push to end it quickly?

As Firepoint properly states, it gets dark at 4:40 PM CST in Nashville on the shortest day. It's tough to time it right when you only have 9 hours and 42 minutes of sun on that day. I like the late sunsets of Eastern Time. Later light is better than it being light at 4 am to wake up you over achievers that get up with the chickens, when I prefer to party the night away with a nice 8 pm sunset. Dark at 4 is such a bore.

As Firepoint properly states, it gets dark at 4:40 PM CST in Nashville on the shortest day.

Here in Connecticut, we have sunsets in the 4:20s and 4:30s in December and early January. Of course, in far eastern Maine, it will be dark at 3:49 on Dec. 21.

The reason kids are standing in the dark is due to the long bus ride (~1 hour) to get to school, thanks to the Federal government's busing mandates.

The reason kids are standing in the dark is due to the long bus ride (~1 hour) to get to school, thanks to the Federal government's busing mandates.

There's several reasons. Busing for racial integration may be one, but I'm not terribly familiar with that having never personally lived in a district with busing.

One I am familiar with: being rural. I had a 7:05 bus stop when I was a kid, and would arrive at school around 7:50 for an 8:00 bell. Most of the buses started way off in the sticks to make their way into town, my bus's route was roughly 10 miles. There was a big chunk of the year where the bus would pick me an my neighbors up in total darkness. Most of November, all of December and January, most of February.

Another I am familiar with is early start times. My local high school starts classes each morning at 7:35, and the bus stops by my neighborhood at 6:45. I think some other nearby schools are even a bit earlier.

It would still be dark even if they could walk to neighborhood school. Do you prefer walking in the dark or bussing in the dark?

Another I am familiar with is early start times. My local high school starts classes each morning at 7:35, and the bus stops by my neighborhood at 6:45. I think some other nearby schools are even a bit earlier.

Bingo. That's the real issue. Parents use school for day care. So school starts early for the convenience of parents.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom