• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

End of DST?

For the people making the "it will take some adjustment, but eventually people will get used to it" argument in favor of either making DST year-round or scrapping it entirely, then why not take a bigger leap and just make the entire continental U.S. one time zone, like China does, and allow people and companies to adjust their local schedules to whatever is best suited to them, regardless of what the clock says? I.e. people would still get up and go to work or school at the same time as before, regardless if the clock now says it's 4 AM or 10 AM instead of 7 AM.

For the people making the "it will take some adjustment, but eventually people will get used to it" argument in favor of either making DST year-round or scrapping it entirely, then why not take a bigger leap and just make the entire continental U.S. one time zone, like China does, and allow people and companies to adjust their local schedules to whatever is best suited to them, regardless of what the clock says? I.e. people would still get up and go to work or school at the same time as before, regardless if the clock now says it's 4 AM or 10 AM instead of 7 AM.

I cannot even fathom what the scope of this type of disruption would cause for a prolonged period of time. Just the computer software changes that would be necessary to support this are awe-inspiring.

The U.S. Navy communications has done this for years using GMT (or "Zulu" time) but to invoke it across all civilians from sea to shining sea would be a massive undertaking.

I cannot even fathom what the scope of this type of disruption would cause for a prolonged period of time. Just the computer software changes that would be necessary to support this are awe-inspiring.

The U.S. Navy communications has done this for years using GMT (or "Zulu" time) but to invoke it across all civilians from sea to shining sea would be a massive undertaking.
From "M*A*S*H": Henry Blake wondered why we can't all be on the same time. Radar said because the Earth keeps spinning around. Henry said he thought that was just an army thing.

There are more auto accidents in the afternoon than morning, so it can't help being dark just after lunch. LOL. In areas where it gets dark before "most" people get off work, it affects sales and therefore the economy. Of course that won't matter when no one buys anything locally and this board is long gone due to the death of radio. As for school starting in the dark, there is a movement to start school later for the well-being, health and grades of students. Maybe it all will work out that school starts a bit later and few students are in the dark. Of course the fact that percentage of students in the dark is a tiny portion of the overall population, so I think the other 95% or more of the population probably prefers light later in the afternoon on the shortest days of the year. If not, why is there such a push to end it quickly?
We always seem to have an adjustment period for that first week or so on standard time, when everyone walks their dogs, jogs, cycles, whatever, in the dark without wearing anything reflective, whereas in that previous week, it was still daylight during that "same" hour. I know to be careful when driving through neighborhoods.

As for that later school start time, I believe that that was for high school students (only?), but I'm not sure.
As Firepoint properly states, it gets dark at 4:40 PM CST in Nashville on the shortest day. It's tough to time it right when you only have 9 hours and 42 minutes of sun on that day. I like the late sunsets of Eastern Time. Later light is better than it being light at 4 am to wake up you over achievers that get up with the chickens, when I prefer to party the night away with a nice 8 pm sunset. Dark at 4 is such a bore.
I've been in Michigan in the summertime. In lower Michigan (where I was), there was still some orange in the western sky at 9:00 p.m. EDT! This was directly across Lake Michigan from Chicago. (Of course, they pay for that in the winter time, but I have never been there during the winter time.)

There is literally no way that would work. Imagine traveling and having to figure out when lunch is in that area. We are very tied to our time references.

There is literally no way that would work. Imagine traveling and having to figure out when lunch is in that area. We are very tied to our time references.

You may have misunderstood me. The navy uses GMT as a world-wide reference to timestamp communications only. It is not used to determine what time a local unit eats lunch. Local time still prevails. And it does not ease the conversion necessary to figure out the time between two points. To do that you still need additional information such as does either end use DST and, if so, what is in effect at this very moment.

Here in Connecticut, we have sunsets in the 4:20s and 4:30s in December and early January. Of course, in far eastern Maine, it will be dark at 3:49 on Dec. 21.

Conversely when I lived on the northwest edge of the time zone in Michigan I'd go outside at 10PM
in late June and it would not quite be dark yet. Really messed with my head.

I really doubt most people move between far away sites often enough that the time change is a big deal. For business travelers, perhaps. I've lived in places described as "very early dark" during Winter and in the desert where it doesn't get dark until well past 9PM but you get used to it and it doesn't bother most people. There is a valid concern regarding children waiting for rides in the dark but that can be addressed by simply altering the school start/end times.

When my kids were babies they would go to sleep in a moving car or a quiet room and light or no light made absolutely no difference. As an adult, if I am bothered, I can use ear plugs, eye masks or pull the curtains.

Here in AZ we did have an industry that largely went out of business because of DST and that was the outdoor theater (drive-ins). That, but probably the summer temps, did more to kill outdoor movies than anything else. I can't think of anything else it affected but ice cream shops probably more than made up for it. Personally, I enjoyed getting home in time to be able to mow the grass while I could still see what I was doing and would gladly trade end-of-day light for dark-in-the-morning when I wasn't likely to be outside anyway.

The 1970's energy crisis is what killed drive-in movies.

Watching the movie in a Ford LTD or Buick Electra, kinda cool.
Watching it in a Chevette, not so much.

The 1970's energy crisis is what killed drive-in movies.

Watching the movie in a Ford LTD or Buick Electra, kinda cool.
Watching it in a Chevette, not so much.

I can only speak for what I witnessed in AZ the first several decades of my life (40's-70's): Early in life my folks would take us to the drive in where most of the people would either set out in lawn chairs or in the backs of station wagon's or pickup trucks to watch the movies. Most other folks did the same and it was a lot less expensive than taking the whole family to an indoor theater.

Later, in my teen years, the LTD or Electra was required so that more people watched the movie than watched girlfriend and I. Darkness became a significant asset.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom