• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is this a sign of the future for AM Radio?

I think the key there is country---there's a radio ops guide video online, shot in the UK, and the only OTA frequencies available are FM.
European models also have DAB.

I also noticed that apparently, RDS is turned off by default on FM. Ironic, considering that when the "new" MINI Cooper first came out, it had the first car radio I'd ever seen with RDS text display in a U.S. model.

No, because when there are vastly more viable FM signals in a market, part of the reason for lesser AM use is the lack of good signals with attractive formats.

For example, AM listening in Phoenix is low because there is no AM station that reliably and easily covers the whole market day and night, and most of the AM stations are very limited in market coverage. But there are fifteen FMs that cover the whole market, and another handful that cover better than the day and night coverage of any AM.
That's an interesting statement, in that when KOY was on 550, their slogan was "covering Arizona like the sun"! 620 wasn't bad either.

That's an interesting statement, in that when KOY was on 550, their slogan was "covering Arizona like the sun"! 620 wasn't bad either.

And, well into the early 70's, the three Top 40 stations in Phoenix were KRUX, 5 kw day and 500 watts night from Glendale on the high 1360 frequency, KRIZ, 1 kw day and 250 watts night on 1230 and KUPD, 500 watts on 1060 from a trailer off Baseline.

It wouldn’t phase me in the least if my next car had no AM.

Sadly, me either. I set exactly one AM preset---KCBS, San Francisco. And that's only because I'm in news and I live 25 miles east of Sacramento, where the simulcast on KFRC-FM (106.9) is sporadically interrupted by KRNO, Reno and doesn't become a truly solid signal until I drive about 50 miles west.

On the occasions I'm in L.A., I'll set a button for KNX, too---but if they're on one of the FM's HDs, that'd be just as easy.

It's not just the growth of the Phoenix market physically that has changed things either, though that's incredible. When I arrived in Phoenix in 1986, there were 1.6 million people in the metro. When I left seven years ago, it was 4.6 million.

But the noise floor for AM---the interference from all sorts of devices---has degraded AM listenability and reduced coverage areas.

If someone kept such things, a signal strength reading of 550 and 620 in Payson and Prescott in 1980 versus now would probably be remarkable to see.

It's not just the growth of the Phoenix market physically that has changed things either, though that's incredible. When I arrived in Phoenix in 1986, there were 1.6 million people in the metro. When I left seven years ago, it was 4.6 million.

But the noise floor for AM---the interference from all sorts of devices---has degraded AM listenability and reduced coverage areas.

If someone kept such things, a signal strength reading of 550 and 620 in Payson and Prescott in 1980 versus now would probably be remarkable to see.
On top of all of that, there's a Tucson station that used to bomb in as well, as late as the mid-90s!

On top of all of that, there's a Tucson station that used to bomb in as well, as late as the mid-90s!

Perhaps KTKT-AM (990) ?

Perhaps KTKT-AM (990) ?

Where I was in the poor part of Scottsdale, it was 580. I wish it had been KTKT as they, in part, paid my way through ASU. KFIF also made it if I turned the radio to null the adjacent channel local. And the little 250 watt Spanish language daytimer on 690 was also "hearable" but not listenable.

Where I was in the poor part of Scottsdale, it was 580. I wish it had been KTKT as they, in part, paid my way through ASU. KFIF also made it if I turned the radio to null the adjacent channel local. And the little 250 watt Spanish language daytimer on 690 was also "hearable" but not listenable.

That's weird. 580 (the old KCNA when I was young and listened on a crystal set) towers are (or used to be) in a straight line E to W and right up on Swan Road at the very base of the Catalina's. You would think they'd be strong to the south but cancelled by the 9,000 ft mountains behind the wire.

That's weird. 580 (the old KCNA when I was young and listened on a crystal set) towers are (or used to be) in a straight line E to W and right up on Swan Road at the very base of the Catalina's. You would think they'd be strong to the south but cancelled by the 9,000 ft mountains behind the wire.
I'm sure that the Tucson station is on 580.

KCNA/KIKX moved to the three tower Swan Rd. site back in 1951, along with the daytime power increase.

The noise level is medium and smaller markets has increased. AM stations I could hear 10 years ago are now are unlistenable. Unless there is a football game that I can find when traveling I don't waste my time. FM is not immune. With digital and remote metering for utilities (for example) some FM's have irritating noise outside the 70 db, and has got worse of the last decade or so.

Sadly, me either. I set exactly one AM preset---KCBS, San Francisco. And that's only because I'm in news and I live 25 miles east of Sacramento, where the simulcast on KFRC-FM (106.9) is sporadically interrupted by KRNO, Reno and doesn't become a truly solid signal until I drive about 50 miles west.

On the occasions I'm in L.A., I'll set a button for KNX, too---but if they're on one of the FM's HDs, that'd be just as easy.
I have all six presets in use and need three more.

A quick update---the 2021 Toyota GR Supra has arrived for review, and in getting acquainted with the car, I find that my radio choices are FM and SiriusXM.

The Supra is a joint venture with BMW and is in reality a coupe version of a BMW Z4. So, yeah---this is a thing BMW (which builds MINI) is doing beyond their all-electrics. I've had several BMW products in the past year that did have AM sections, but those were 2020 models. We'll see how many of the '21s are without it.

I have been told but have not confirmed that a number of BMW models for this new model year have no AM... not just electric ones, either. When I take my car for service I will ask (or just look) at the new models.

I know the FCC doesn't have much of a budget, but wouldn't it be nice if the GSA could buy a few of these electric cars and have them delivered via Powder Springs?
The FCC engineers and some folks from Georgia Tech could do some research and maybe some mods, and see if the cars are REALLY incapable of getting a clean MW AM signal.
Then the GSA can send them to the motor pool users.

A quick update---the 2021 Toyota GR Supra has arrived for review, and in getting acquainted with the car, I find that my radio choices are FM and SiriusXM.

I got a new car a little over a month ago myself, and my choices are Apple CarPlay or Bluetooth, SiriusXM, and FM.

Guessing your car has CarPlay/Android Auto and Bluetooth, too. As I mentioned on another board, CarPlay is neat, but it's clunkier than I expected and sometimes still requires interaction with my phone.

I got a new car a little over a month ago myself, and my choices are Apple CarPlay or Bluetooth, SiriusXM, and FM.

Guessing your car has CarPlay/Android Auto and Bluetooth, too. As I mentioned on another board, CarPlay is neat, but it's clunkier than I expected and sometimes still requires interaction with my phone.
What did you buy, Kent?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom