• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is this a sign of the future for AM Radio?

What did you buy, Kent?
I bought a 2020 Nissan Sentra. I was able to get it about $5,000 less than sticker because the dealership wanted it off the lot. The first thing I did was hook up my phone to the Bluetooth! Took a bit to figure out the voice controls as it's not so simple as clicking the voice control button and telling Siri what to do. I have to say, "Phone -> Siri," before I can play a station or playlist!

I bought a 2020 Nissan Sentra. I was able to get it about $5,000 less than sticker because the dealership wanted it off the lot. The first thing I did was hook up my phone to the Bluetooth! Took a bit to figure out the voice controls as it's not so simple as clicking the voice control button and telling Siri what to do. I have to say, "Phone -> Siri," before I can play a station or playlist!
Okay---that's weird. I tested and reviewed a 2020 Sentra. It had AM radio capability.

Okay---that's weird. I tested and reviewed a 2020 Sentra. It had AM radio capability.
Mine does indeed have AM. I set up the presets the same day I bought it and haven't used them since! The two stations on AM that I occasionally listen to both have translators, and almost all of my listening to them is either via the FM translators or via streaming. I think I did put an AM button on my audio sources, though the salesman said it's removed from the main menu by default.

Mine does indeed have AM. I set up the presets the same day I bought it and haven't used them since! The two stations on AM that I occasionally listen to both have translators, and almost all of my listening to them is either via the FM translators or via streaming. I think I did put an AM button on my audio sources, though the salesman said it's removed from the main menu by default.
Okay. You threw me with your original comment of "I got a new car a little over a month ago myself, and my choices are Apple CarPlay or Bluetooth, SiriusXM, and FM."

I was mainly wondering if you had tried CarPlay or Android Auto and what your experience with it was?

Funny thing is, I was going to test drive a 2020 Toyota, but the last one on that lot sold two days before I was to test drive it. I had the option of going to another dealership to look at a 2021 Toyota Corolla, but I went ahead and bought the Sentra after they agreed to a price I was willing to pay.

I was mainly wondering if you had tried CarPlay or Android Auto and what your experience with it was?

Funny thing is, I was going to test drive a 2020 Toyota, but the last one on that lot sold two days before I was to test drive it. I had the option of going to another dealership to look at a 2021 Toyota Corolla, but I went ahead and bought the Sentra after they agreed to a price I was willing to pay.
I use Apple CarPlay on a daily basis. I'm perturbed when I get a test vehicle that doesn't have CarPlay compatability. Fortunately, they're rare.

In most cases, CarPlay is smooth and looks great. Any issues usually are on the vehicle end.

We just bought a 2020 Honda Odyssey and the AM radio is quite good. (it's even HD and the one station broadcasting that in our area sounds like an FM) My sister got a Tesla model X last year and it has no AM radio, but has a fairly seemless integration of streaming services in the car that allows her to get pretty much any local AM that has an internet stream. Her husband got a Tesla Model S a few years ago and it has an AM radio that's pretty decent, but has the same problem my 2009 Saturn Vue Hybrid had: some weaker stations were just obliterated by noise of the electric motors. I'm sure Tesla and others could have worked to make improve the noise problem with their AM radios, but I'm also sure there just isn't much demand for it. You can expect to see a growing number of cars without AM sections.

I received a reply from MINI saying that "AM radio typically isn’t supported in our Electric or Hybrid vehicles because the electromagnetic interference from the electric drivetrain causes negative performance with the AM radio stations. However, this is only general information, and it’s always best to confirm specific options with a Vehicle’s Identification Number (VIN)."

We don't include turn signals in our vehicles, because no one uses them any more.
The windows don't open, because everybody just uses the air conditioning.

I duknow. I could actually sort of see (hypothetically) "special" models of cars made for the Califoregon market lacking turn signals.

Sold at a 35% markup compared the regular model, of course.

I received a reply from MINI saying that "AM radio typically isn’t supported in our Electric or Hybrid vehicles because the electromagnetic interference from the electric drivetrain causes negative performance with the AM radio stations"
Maybe they figure that they are exempt from EMI regulations.
I'd be totally cool with the FCC buying a few of these vehicles, and giving the to Georgia Tech to evaluate and play with. After they get done finding out what could be done to quiet them down, they can go to the FCC fleet or GSA Motor Pool.

Maybe they figure that they are exempt from EMI regulations.
I'd be totally cool with the FCC buying a few of these vehicles, and giving the to Georgia Tech to evaluate and play with. After they get done finding out what could be done to quiet them down, they can go to the FCC fleet or GSA Motor Pool.
Nobody would spend a dime on de-RFI'ing existing cars for AM radio listening.

They spend the money to equip cars with mufflers, emergency flashers, seat belts and emissions controls.
Why is RF (radio spectrum) pollution exempt?

I duknow. I could actually sort of see (hypothetically) "special" models of cars made for the Califoregon market lacking turn signals.

Sold at a 35% markup compared the regular model, of course.
I know in West TN there are plenty people who apparently never use their turn signals so they might as well be optional. :rolleyes:

And I think that's the reason why some car makers drop AM. They build these luxury cars with high tech sound systems, and AM simply sounds lousy.

There's no need for AM to sound so lousy. Some of the older radios still sound quite good today with much wider bandwidth audio and great long range reception.

I blame the radio industry for not having a trade group that has been an effective lobbyist to the auto or audio manufacturers calling for better quality radios. Those receivers are the broadcasters' bread and butter but from what i can tell they've let the manufacturers call the shots for what seems like decades. It's resulted in such a decline in reception and sound quality over time that the technology has gained a horrible stigma, and now no one wants it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom