• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

meet and greet other members in this group?

So I'm putting it out there again and seeing if their is any interest in meeting other members and experts maybe at a restaurant down in LA if it's not to far for them. I'm thinking a central place for all anyone interested? It would be neat to meet hagerty, David and bigA in person . Any takers?

So I'm putting it out there again and seeing if their is any interest in meeting other members and experts maybe at a restaurant down in LA if it's not to far for them. I'm thinking a central place for all anyone interested? It would be neat to meet hagerty, David and bigA in person . Any takers?
The fellows you mentioned can all speak for themselves, but I think you need to know that Michael (Hagerty) lives in the eastern suburbs of Sacramento, David is in or near La Quinta (a suburb of Palm Springs), and BigA is located somewhere in New Jersey (IIRC). That makes what you're proposing either (1) difficult to schedule, or (2) very dependent on all those folks being in the same place (L.A.) at the same time, or (3) quite expensive.

I'm flattered and surprised that anyone would care to meet me, but Weiserguy has the geography nailed down.

L.A. is 400 miles from where I live. It's been 14 months since I was there last and three years before that.

David and I have been corresponding on this board for 20+ years and never met.

In fact, to my knowledge, I have only ever met two people from this board---John Davis, who I worked with 30-ish years ago in Phoenix, and BossRadioDJ (David Ferrell Jackson), who was the first person to hire me to write for money (two cents a word), again 30-ish years ago, but who I have only met in the past 90 days (twice). Nice guy. If you meet him, stick out your hand and say "Verne White" just for the reaction.

Given how contentious this board can be at times, if we could get an in-person thing put together, I might just send a stunt double.

Last edited:
Given how contentious this board can be at times, if we could get an in-person thing put together, I might just send a stunt double.
This, and I think there would be too many subgroups that might enjoy meeting those with similar interests and views, while those in lesser numbers, probably wouldn't find what interested certain subgroups, very appealing. That's why in my view having a textual, moderated discussion is best.
Some of the social subgroupings I can think of that might be involved would likely be:
* Those who are only interested in radio from their childhood.
* Members who have particularly strong feelings against certain broadcast groups.
* Those who have strong feelings about 'sportifying' 6+ ratings results as being a bellwether of success.
* People who live on the spectrum, or spectrum-adjacent who frequently wander down paths of assumptions without correct information.
* Retired, or active industry professionals who would likely find groups 1-4 pointless to have constructive conversations with.

This, and I think there would be too many subgroups that might enjoy meeting those with similar interests and views, while those in lesser numbers, probably wouldn't find what interested certain subgroups, very appealing. That's why in my view having a textual, moderated discussion is best.
Some of the social subgroupings I can think of that might be involved would likely be:
* Those who are only interested in radio from their childhood.
* Members who have particularly strong feelings against certain broadcast groups.
* Those who have strong feelings about 'sportifying' 6+ ratings results as being a bellwether of success.
* People who live on the spectrum, or spectrum-adjacent who frequently wander down paths of assumptions without correct information.
* Retired, or active industry professionals who would likely find groups 1-4 pointless to have constructive conversations with.

You left out ceiling fan maintenance.

We talked at one point about doing a giant Zoom call or two during the height of covid since so many (but not all - especially those actively working in engineering) were stuck at home and doing Zoom calls seemed to be the thing to do back then - but even at that point, with many having a lot more free time on their hands due to the pandemic, it never materialized.

Over 39,000 members on this forum...now, what's the number of active* members?

If it's 5% (~2000), I would be shocked.

* One log-in every 30 days...

We talked at one point about doing a giant Zoom call or two during the height of covid since so many (but not all - especially those actively working in engineering) were stuck at home and doing Zoom calls seemed to be the thing to do back then - but even at that point, with many having a lot more free time on their hands due to the pandemic, it never materialized.

I mean, honestly---that would have been like herding cats.

I think it would fun to do but the logistics of it make it near to impossible to execute. I live in Hollywood the heart of the entertainment capital. Easy for me but not so much for everyone else.

I'm flattered and surprised that anyone would care to meet me, but Weiserguy has the geography nailed down.

L.A. is 400 miles from where I live. It's been 14 months since I was there last and three years before that.

David and I have been corresponding on this board for 20+ years and never met.

In fact, to my knowledge, I have only ever met two people from this board---John Davis, who I worked with 30-ish years ago in Phoenix, and BossRadioDJ (David Ferrell Jackson), who was the first person to hire me to write for money (two cents a word), again 30-ish years ago, but who I have only met in the past 90 days (twice). Nice guy. If you meet him, stick out your hand and say "Verne White" just for the reaction.

I apologize for being off-topic. But when you met David Ferrell Jackson, did you tell him that you figured out that KPWX Cowpoke Radio in so-callled Banta is his creation?
I talked to Bill Earl (who wrote the history of KRLA) , and who worked for David Jackson when David set up KXOK in Manteca back in 2008. Bill says KWPX is David’s station. By chance, did David say where he got all those old records from? He has a playlist of about 500 famous country gold songs from the 50’s and 60’s.
Do you think that David Jackson would come here and tell us about KWPX? I think he has an account here. He’s a very good programmer.
I realize this is off-topic on the L.A. board. I try really hard to always stay exactly on topic.
But meeting David Jackson twice is an accomplishment, because he wishes so much to stay clandestine.
Thank you.

I apologize for being off-topic. But when you met David Ferrell Jackson, did you tell him that you figured out that KPWX Cowpoke Radio in so-callled Banta is his creation?

Didn’t have to. He saw it here.

I talked to Bill Earl (who wrote the history of KRLA) , and who worked for David Jackson when David set up KXOK in Manteca back in 2008. Bill says KWPX is David’s station. By chance, did David say where he got all those old records from? He has a playlist of about 500 famous country gold songs from the 50’s and 60’s.

We didn’t discuss that.

Do you think that David Jackson would come here and tell us about KWPX? I think he has an account here. He’s a very good programmer.
I realize this is off-topic on the L.A. board. I try really hard to always stay exactly on topic.
But meeting David Jackson twice is an accomplishment, because he wishes so much to stay clandestine.
Thank you.

Paging @BossRadioDJ ….

Peculiar topic. Isn't there something in the site's Terms of Use about this kind of thing? (fairly common on forums.) That long page you typically scroll through and click "I agree."

Back
Top Bottom