• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

meet and greet other members in this group?

After class, at the door, one of the gals caught the attention of the other three and asked, “Could we talk a minute? Could you work with this man? No doubt he talks like this always, with all the F-bombs and targeted sexual remarks towards women. What could one of us do if he started after one of us, and we were alone in the studio with him? Could we complain? Who would we complain to? He is the person in authority at KSBR. All he would do would be to fire you. “
She made sense. So all 4 of us dropped the class.

I mean, you were right to not continue with him, but it's not like he was a station owner in a position of power. The four of you could have composed a letter explaining the situation in detail and your eagerness to return and complete the course if he was removed and sent it to the head of the Communications Department, with copies to the Office of Student Affairs, the Academic Senate, Saddleback's President, the California Community College Chancellor and the California Community College Board of Governors.

Given that the Board of Governors are appointed by the Governor of California, you could have even copied him in. My guess is the instructor would have been toast within a month.

I mean, you were right to not continue with him, but it's not like he was a station owner in a position of power. The four of you could have composed a letter explaining the situation in detail and your eagerness to return and complete the course if he was removed and sent it to the head of the Communications Department, with copies to the Office of Student Affairs, the Academic Senate, Saddleback's President, the California Community College Chancellor and the California Community College Board of Governors.

Given that the Board of Governors are appointed by the Governor of California, you could have even copied him in. My guess is the instructor would have been toast within a month.
All of which is true, but Daryl and everyone else would have had to wait 18 months before the investigations were completed, the reports were written/filed, and the gears of academia anointed a replacement and rebooted the class.

All of which is true, but Daryl and everyone else would have had to wait 18 months before the investigations were completed, the reports were written/filed, and the gears of academia anointed a replacement and rebooted the class.

If we were talking a tenured professor, maybe, and that's still a distortion of what happens. In egregious cases like this, the offender is suspended with pay, and someone takes over the class. It takes a year or more to get the person off the payroll, but they're not teaching.

My bet is this guy didn't have tenure.

Yes. The OP is asking about having a meet-up with radio people from L.A. or working in L.A. radio. The OP suggested an in-person get together, but southern California is a huge area, so people have to travel a long distance, often in heavy freeway traffic.

So, the alternative suggestion was to have a meet-up on Zoom. This isn't as strange and cringe as it sounds. No one has to feel as if he's sliding down a cheese grater. LOL. 😂 First, when people can hear each others' voices, they can hear inflection, intentionality, and feelings; so there is more to the person than was previously realized. It's easier to identify with the speaker and easier to relate to him/her.

Zoom meetings work best when they are structured. For example, there is a time limit and a definite topic. A meeting could be set up for 20 minutes, with the goal of going around the virtual room and each person introducing himself/herself and talking about what s/he likes best about L.A. radio. (just an example). After a certain time limit, the meeting is adjourned.

For an ice-breaker, it can be set up like a TGIF cocktail party, and each person can bring a glass of wine, or his favorite beer or cocktail. Non-alcohol drinkers can bring a favorite juice, flavored tea, etc. Each person can say what he is drinking, which helps the feeling of congeniality. It doesn't have to be so "cringe." JMO.
Then you get into who's god would we be thanking. :unsure:

Yes, I understand how to file a formal complaint. I really do. And if you as a man had filed that complaint, you would be successful. That’s why men don’t often behave like that with other men.

But it is an entirely different situation with women due to their lack of social status and the sexual dynamics of the situation. It doesn’t work that way with women.

Yes, I understand how to file a formal complaint. I really do. And if you as a man had filed that complaint, you would be successful. That’s why men don’t often behave like that with other men.

But it is an entirely different situation with women due to their lack of social status and the sexual dynamics of the situation. It doesn’t work that way with women.

And if that were true, Daryl, we would never have heard of the "Me Too" movement. The fact is that educators engaging in improper behavior with students has always been punishable, and I know of cases from fifty years ago. Their victims filed complaints.

Last edited:
That farting guy from the American Airlines flight last week might achieve the same outcome without any bullets.
Here's what a Radiodiscussions.com 'meet-up' would look like:
Thanks to you gents for trying to bring this Discussion thread back on track, which doesn't say much as it's more or less been off the rails (but fun to read and play along with) since it was first posted :)

BEFORE I got into radio, I worked at an amusement park. First job while still in high school. NEVER said a swear word till I was 18. You think Ralphie got it bad with the soap in a Christmas Story, I'm sure my mom would have made me eat 18 bars of Lifebuoy and chug some Tide Pods for good measure. But these amusement park veterans turned the air blue with swear words and didn't care who was in the vicinity when they let loose; governor, other politicians, TV/Movie stars, religious big shots, babies and mothers, TV cameras, radio mics. when they let loose, they LET LOOSE! [And the "offers" I'd get from girls who wanted me to give them a free ride on the attractions-----hoo boy!] Wasn't long after I turned 18 that my vocabulary got a little more spicy. Anyway, believe it or not, the DJs at some of the stations I was at would have called them amateurs when it came to swearing.

BEFORE I got into radio, I worked at an amusement park. First job while still in high school. NEVER said a swear word till I was 18. You think Ralphie got it bad with the soap in a Christmas Story, I'm sure my mom would have made me eat 18 bars of Lifebuoy and chug some Tide Pods for good measure. But these amusement park veterans turned the air blue with swear words and didn't care who was in the vicinity when they let loose; governor, other politicians, TV/Movie stars, religious big shots, babies and mothers, TV cameras, radio mics. when they let loose, they LET LOOSE! [And the "offers" I'd get from girls who wanted me to give them a free ride on the attractions-----hoo boy!] Wasn't long after I turned 18 that my vocabulary got a little more spicy. Anyway, believe it or not, the DJs at some of the stations I was at would have called them amateurs when it came to swearing.
Out of curiosity, have you seen the musical Carousel?

BEFORE I got into radio, I worked at an amusement park. First job while still in high school. NEVER said a swear word till I was 18.
Well now if you're attractive enough and can set up a prosumer camera, guys like BigA would hire you to be a local TV reporter.
According to your resume,' your prior job involved running the Tilt-A-Whirl for Funland Amusements. Perfect, you're hired!

Well now if you're attractive enough and can set up a prosumer camera, guys like BigA would hire you to be a local TV reporter.
According to your resume,' your prior job involved running the Tilt-A-Whirl for Funland Amusements. Perfect, you're hired!
Are you kidding? They said I was too ugly that I didn't even have a face for radio!

Back
Top Bottom