• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Monday Night Football postponed - Buffalo safety Damar Hamlin collapses

The safety collapsed on the field during the 1st quarter and CPR had to be administered for several minutes. He was transported by ambulance to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center where his status is unknown. The NFL has just postponed this game and I am not sure what we'll hear later tonight or tomorrow.

I've been driving in my car for the last 45 minutes listening to the Westwood One live radio broadcast. Kevin Harllin & Kurt Warner were broadcasting the game when it happened, and they immediately went into what is called "continuing coverage" of the scene in the stadium, with assistance from Rich Eisen in LA. It was amazing radio.

I have the WW1 coverage recorded on my computer.

ABC has left Joe Buck and MNF and went to SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt. I assume this is what they will air until the timeslot ends. Unless ABC will leave the air and put on emergency programming in a bit.

I've been driving in my car for the last 45 minutes listening to the Westwood One live radio broadcast. Kevin Harllin & Kurt Warner were broadcasting the game when it happened, and they immediately went into what is called "continuing coverage" of the scene in the stadium, with assistance from Rich Eisen in LA. It was amazing radio.
I heard a few minutes late f the Bengals network coverage before the permanent suspension. They were talking about logistics of making up the game during those few minutes

While the on-air ESPN folks showed the utmost class, whoever made the decision to air the usual commercials while a man's life was in danger should be fired tonight. Disney should have canceled all ads and refunded the clients' money. This was an extraordinary circumstance, and advertising should not have been aired.

I heard a few minutes late f the Bengals network coverage before the permanent suspension. They were talking about logistics of making up the game during those few minutes

Kevin & Kurt described a meeting with an NFL rep and the two coaches that preceded the official postponement of the game. I'm sure they were talking about that. There's a lot to consider, because the NFL was holding up the scheduling of next week's game based on the outcome of tonight's game. Specifically with regards to the Bengals.

While the on-air ESPN folks showed the utmost class, whoever made the decision to air the usual commercials while a man's life was in danger should be fired tonight. Disney should have canceled all ads and refunded the clients' money. This was an extraordinary circumstance, and advertising should not have been aired.
I wish I could like this a hundred times!!! Has there ever been another time that an NFL player was hurt this badly and a game was suspended? I can't remember if this has happened before in modern NFL history...

CNN, MSNBC and Fox News all in breaking news coverage of this as well.

As to the ads, the sponsors probably didn't want to be associated with it, but I can see taking a break because the few people on hand now had to be reporters, and try to find out what was going on. That's best done off the air. That's why they fired up the New York studio. It took some time to do that, since it was the first quarter, not near halftime.

I wish I could like this a hundred times!!! Has there ever been another time that an NFL player was hurt this badly and a game was suspended? I can't remember if this has happened before in modern NFL history...
Not in the NFL, but in major-league baseball, I remember the umpire passing away on the field at the opening Cincinnati Reds game in 1996. They suspended that game.

I can think of two: The Jack Tatum hit on Darryl Stingley in 1978 that left him a quadreplegic, and the 1960 Chuck Bednarek hit on Frank Gifford, where even Bednarek thought he'd killed Gifford. Gifford, of course, recovered, but Stingley spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair, and died in 2007. I don't believe either game was suspended.

This was worse because Hamlin got up for a few seconds, then fell backwards unconscious. That in itself is never a good sign, playing football or not.

Last edited:
I can imagine you run the commercials not so much because you have to, but because the announcers need some time to gather their thoughts.
I wish I could say you're right, but I really doubt it. None of the ads were even remotely appropriate for the situation. Either Disney management or Roger Goodell could have blocked them airing.

It felt as if they were blowing out as much of their inventory as possible so as to reach as many eyeballs as possible, just in case the game were to be postponed, which of course it was. Brief segments of somber non-updates and prayers, with super-long commercial breaks between them. Did anyone have a stopwatch on the length of the advertising breaks? Were they indeed longer than usual?

It felt as if they were blowing out as much of their inventory as possible so as to reach as many eyeballs as possible, just in case the game were to be postponed, which of course it was. Brief segments of somber non-updates and prayers, with super-long commercial breaks between them. Did anyone have a stopwatch on the length of the advertising breaks? Were they indeed longer than usual?
They were quite a bit longer than usual. It was like they were blowing through an entire game's worth of ads in about an hour. Shame on whoever at Disney and/or the NFL authorized this.

I can think of two: The Jack Tatum hit on Darryl Stingley in 1978 that left him a quadreplegic, and the 1960 Chuck Bednarek hit on Frank Gifford, where even Bednarek thought he'd killed Gifford. Gifford, of course, recovered, but Stingley spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair, and died in 2007. I don't believe either game was suspended.
The only NFL player to die during a game was Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions in 1971. Play continued.

They were quite a bit longer than usual. It was like they were blowing through an entire game's worth of ads in about an hour. Shame on whoever at Disney and/or the NFL authorized this.
I have this on the DVR. I'll check later and see what the timings are. They're usually 2:15 during a quarter.

ABC has left Joe Buck and MNF and went to SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt. I assume this is what they will air until the timeslot ends. Unless ABC will leave the air and put on emergency programming in a bit.
ABC stayed in simulcast mode until 11pm Eastern, a half-hour before it was suppose to sign off had the game gone as scheduled. The game being called around 10 gave time for the network to inform affiliates internally that the schedule late night would change as a result.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom