• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Monday Night Football postponed - Buffalo safety Damar Hamlin collapses

I can remember when the Pro Bowl ran after the week after the Super Bowl
Nobody really cared then, either. It was a nice trip to Hawaii for the players, but beyond that it was/is irrelevant.

The NFL's silence is an indication to me of just how much money is involved in the play/don't play decision. There is no easy way out. Perhaps the worst-case scenario is this:
The NFL orders that the game be played, the players have no desire to play it and decide to stage the game at half-speed as a light-contact scrimmage.
If the NFL forces the Bills vs Bengals game to be played, it creates another problem. The playoffs would be pushed back one week. That would mean that the teams that will play Buffalo and Cincinnati will get a bye week to prepare. If Kansas City gets the #1 seed, they would have two weeks off. It creates a competitive imbalance. You're right that the Bills and Bengals would play it like a preseason game. Both teams could just kneel down on every play to run out the clock. Very bizarre...

The Bills vs Bengals game will NOT be finished.

The Bills vs Bengals game will NOT be finished.
This apparently is a guess. No indication of any announcement online or on TV yet, 12:10 pm EST.

Meanwhile, a bit of positive news. Hamlin is awake:

That would give Cincinnati the win, since they were leading 7 to 3. Or one of the teams could forfeit.
The NFL has cancelled the game. None of it counts.
Cincinnati got a raw deal with the playoff seeding process. They face the possibility of a coin flip to decide if they will host a playoff game or play at Baltimore. If Cincinnati had beaten Buffalo, they would have had a chance at the #1 seed.

The NFL has also announced the possibility that the AFC Championship could be played at a neutral site. The league has actually disregarded their own rules regarding a cancelled game with this resolution. I wonder how the league would handle a similar incident in a playoff game? Hamlin apparently is making good progress which is great news...

With my library card I can see what certain newspapers actually look like.

An entire front page of one NC paper is devoted to this story. Not the sports section. THE front page.

Edit: another inside page is devoted entirely to the story (multiple related stories, like the front page) except for the big department store ad.

Last edited:

Here is Damar Hamlin as he is released from the Hospital and congrats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom