• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oakland A's and the teams future

This new ballpark is supposed to be ready for the 2028 season. Their lease in Oakland expires in '24. The A's are expected to play in the existing minor league park until the new one is ready.

There are several options, including renewing in Oakland for two years. Here's an article that lists the options:

Oakland A's purchase land in Las Vegas with a deal with Clark County, NV for a proposed stadium.

The A's ownership has gutted this once proud franchise. Oakland will have now lost the Warriors, Raiders and A's. Fans in Oakland have been cursed by horrible owners, especially the Al Davis era...

If this happens can an expansion team really work for Oakland or will the MLB choose either Portland or Salt Lake City

The process for an expansion team is very complicated. They basically have to sell seats to a team that doesn't exist.

Washington DC spent years selling tickets trying to lure teams to a Top 10 market until finally the Expos made the move.

If this happens can an expansion team really work for Oakland or will the MLB choose either Portland or Salt Lake City
Oakland wasn't willing to give into the sports cabal for a new stadium this year, why would an expansion franchise be different?

I don't see any more expansion in MLB. SLC is trying for a team, but that team may be the Diamondbacks. If Ken Kendrick doesn't get his taxpayer-funded ballpark in or near north Scottsdale, he'll likely move the team. He wants nothing to do with downtown Phoenix... er... "demographics," if you get my drift.

Yes, but San Francisco and Oakland have totally different vibes. They may be only separated by the Bay Bridge, but are very distinct cities...
Doesn't matter. SF/San Jose/Oakland is one market, and Oakland is 3rd of the three. Fourth, if you include Santa Clara.

Interesting. There has been speculation for months in Vegas that the site where the Tropicana is currently located would be leveled and house the new A's ballpark. After all, the Trop is the old lady of the Strip and from the exterior she's definitely showing her age. However, it appears the land that will be used for the stadium is actually on the other side of the Excalibur and New York, New York, just past the highway.

Doesn't matter. SF/San Jose/Oakland is one market, and Oakland is 3rd of the three. Fourth, if you include Santa Clara.
You're missing the point. It's not about the market. A's and Raider fans didn't want their teams to move. Yeah, the Giants, Warriors, 49ers, and Sharks are still in the Bay Area. The Chargers left San Diego and nobody in LA knows the team is there now...

Interesting. There has been speculation for months in Vegas that the site where the Tropicana is currently located would be leveled and house the new A's ballpark. After all, the Trop is the old lady of the Strip and from the exterior she's definitely showing her age. However, it appears the land that will be used for the stadium is actually on the other side of the Excalibur and New York, New York, just past the highway.
It would take a lot more land than the Tropicana site to house a ballpark. Besides, it's in pretty good shape, now that it's been remodeled.

It would take a lot more land than the Tropicana site to house a ballpark. Besides, it's in pretty good shape, now that it's been remodeled.
There were a number of news organizations reporting in 2022 and early '23 that the Trop, (which sits on 34 acres, so not a small piece of land) and some additional, adjacent properties were possibly planned to house the new baseball park. An internet search still turns up several of them. Keep in mind that, several months ago a number of properties were changing hands or being updated - Bally's (the original MGM) was becoming the Horseshoe, the Mirage was sold and the front part of the property will be razed to make way for the guitar-shaped Hard Rock hotel, etc. The A's bulldozing the existing and aging Trop was part of that discussion.

Regarding the Tropicana itself, I've stayed there twice. Once in I think 2008 and again in 2019. I got stuck there in 2008 for NAB as someone else at our company was reserving our rooms and they claimed they waited so late to book that the Trop was all that was available within budget. It was a dump, the place reeked and I had to go to business services and pay to connect my laptop via Cat5 to do work-related e-mails. In 2019 I stayed there in the summer as we got a great rate and I agree she looked refreshed and updated, and the interior of the rooms was modern and well-appointed. That said, from the outside with her all white exterior and design accents, one can tell she's an older lady for sure, other parts of her still look dated....And Vegas has always been notorious for tearing out the old and building new.

You're missing the point. It's not about the market. A's and Raider fans didn't want their teams to move. Yeah, the Giants, Warriors, 49ers, and Sharks are still in the Bay Area.
National League fans in NYC didn't want the Dodgers and Giants to leave for California after the 1957 season, either. Too bad. It happened, and both the Dodgers and Giants were better for it. Same with the NFL Cardinals leaving Chicago for St. Louis in 1960. Ditto the St. Louis Browns to Baltimore in 1954, two moves by the A's, the Colts to Indy in '83, and every hockey team in Atlanta.

Moves happen, and the fan base isn't consulted when it does happen. It is about the market, and the money to be made there.
The Chargers left San Diego and nobody in LA knows the team is there now..
The Chargers are one notch above the Jacksonville Jaguars: An irrelevancy in the NFL. The only cure for that is winning.

There were a number of news organizations reporting in 2022 and early '23 that the Trop, (which sits on 34 acres, so not a small piece of land) and some additional, adjacent properties were possibly planned to house the new baseball park. An internet search still turns up several of them. Keep in mind that, several months ago a number of properties were changing hands or being updated - Bally's (the original MGM) was becoming the Horseshoe, the Mirage was sold and the front part of the property will be razed to make way for the guitar-shaped Hard Rock hotel, etc. The A's bulldozing the existing and aging Trop was part of that discussion.

Regarding the Tropicana itself, I've stayed there twice. Once in I think 2008 and again in 2019. I got stuck there in 2008 for NAB as someone else at our company was reserving our rooms and they claimed they waited so late to book that the Trop was all that was available within budget. It was a dump, the place reeked and I had to go to business services and pay to connect my laptop via Cat5 to do work-related e-mails. In 2019 I stayed there in the summer as we got a great rate and I agree she looked refreshed and updated, and the interior of the rooms was modern and well-appointed. That said, from the outside with her all white exterior and design accents, one can tell she's an older lady for sure, other parts of her still look dated....And Vegas has always been notorious for tearing out the old and building new.
I've stayed at the Trop several times in the last 25 years, the last time being 2 years ago. Never had a problem. And that includes what little had reopened post-COVID in the Spring of 2021.

National League fans in NYC didn't want the Dodgers and Giants to leave for California after the 1957 season, either. Too bad. It happened, and both the Dodgers and Giants were better for it. Same with the NFL Cardinals leaving Chicago for St. Louis in 1960. Ditto the St. Louis Browns to Baltimore in 1954, two moves by the A's, the Colts to Indy in '83, and every hockey team in Atlanta.

Moves happen, and the fan base isn't consulted when it does happen. It is about the market, and the money to be made there.

The Chargers are one notch above the Jacksonville Jaguars: An irrelevancy in the NFL. The only cure for that is winning.
Well, Jacksonville beat the Chargers in the playoffs this past season. That's somewhat relevant. The problem for the Chargers is the fan base was in San Diego. Once the team moved, the fans didn't follow. LA has a lot of entertainment options, so pro sports aren't usually at the top of the list.

The A's won several World Series in the early 70s and of the course the 89 Earthquake one over the Giants. Some cities refuse to cave in to unreasonable demands and the teams leave (Seattle Sonics, Chargers, etc..). I agree with you it's a business. However, team owners want fans to support a bad product no matter what. You can't blame A's fans for not paying to watch an abysmal team...

This new ballpark is supposed to be ready for the 2028 season. Their lease in Oakland expires in '24. The A's are expected to play in the existing minor league park until the new one is ready.

In other words: The Oakland A's are moving after next season, with the blessings of the Commissioners' Office.

This is the location The A's would go to while the new MLB Stadium is under construction.

Hope for the best with Oakland though. Wow the Bay Bridge series is a thing of the past for the MLB and NFL given this turn of events.

The one sport that is getting attention right now for a NorCal Rivaly series is in the NBA and Round 1 for the NBA playoffs between the Kings vs Warriors.

But in this case the NBA is promoting this as the I-80 Series for this playoff to cover both areas. Instead of Treasure Island/Yerba Buena Island being named as the Midway point between two NorCal teams the dividing line between Kings and Warriors is approximately between Vacaville and Fairfield in this article and it's a case where one county is split between two different TV markets and the area is the outer suburbs of both areas. This is one of a rare example where two rival sport teams from different Census and TV markets share 1 county while other parts of the region the dividing line is visible at the county line.

Note in Los Angeles and New York whenever there is a in area rivalry sports it's usually overlapped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230421-104756203.png
    Screenshot_20230421-104756203.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hope for the best with Oakland though. Wow the Bay Bridge series is a thing of the past for the MLB and NFL given this turn of events.
There are only three markets that can support multiple teams in the same sport: New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago (baseball only). And I'm not sure about LA, given that they don't really support any of them all that well, except for the Dodgers and Lakers.

Philadelphia’s Citizens Bank Park (home of the Phillies) has an area that is a tribute to the history of the A’s when they played in Philly. I feel bad for people that were fans of teams like the Montreal Expos whose history was seemingly erased when the team moved to Washington

Philadelphia’s Citizens Bank Park (home of the Phillies) has an area that is a tribute to the history of the A’s when they played in Philly. I feel bad for people that were fans of teams like the Montreal Expos whose history was seemingly erased when the team moved to Washington
The Expos actually had very good support in Montreal. Hockey is #1 with the Canadiens, but the Expos did well.
They were poised to make it to the World Series in 1994, but the strike derailed that. There has been some speculation about Montreal getting an expansion team (or the Tampa Rays), but nothing substantial.

Teams like the A's and Royals have hit rock bottom. No salary cap in Baseball creates a league of Have and Have Nots...

Back
Top Bottom