• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Post your latest DX

An unidentified sine wave located around 1542 kHz has been present in random recent nights.

I have also checked with other fellow DXers in mainland China, and the wave was reportedly audible across most of the country, ranging from Guangdong/Canton to Liaoning (northeast, part of so-called "Manchuria") south to north.

Wild guess: technical mistake by NRTA Station 623*, Changzhou/Changchow, Jiangsu/Kiangsu Province.

QTH - Urban central Beijing; Equipment - Tecsun PL-310ET

*Transmitting site of the only CNR1 on 1593 plus CRI Japanese on 1044
This was later identified by a fellow mainland Chinese hobbyist as a test signal from the Jiangsu People's Radio division of the provincial government-owned Jiangsu Broadcasting Corporation, but was later accidentally turned into a temporary infinite loop of personal care adverts, due to STL configuration mistakes at their transmitter in rural Nanjing.

Local authorities admitted that using such contents as test signals are indeed improper, and JSBC was reportedly been notified by authorities to change the testing content consist.

Edit: grammar mistakes

It is great to have a Chinese DXer here. The CNR1 signals can be especially strong when conditions are good. 945khz especially. Do you get the Harbin RGD station on 837 at night? Or the 1206 Yanbian RGD? Both I have heard and those also make it to the Pacific coast on a regular basis at local sunrise.

The CNR1 signals can be especially strong when conditions are good. 945khz especially.
The CNR1 signal on 945 kHz is transmitted from NRTA Station 953, located at Jiaohe County, Jilin in the Northeast lying within the so-called "Manchuria" region. It is officially licensed to operate at a whopping 400 kW TPO! Designed to cover Jilin City, its suburbs, and its surrounding counties daytime, it can also reach a considerable array of areas encompassing the Changbai Mountain Range under nighttime skywave, just like how the 1593 CNR1 (from NRTA station 623, rural Changzhou, Jiangsu) act as a flamethrower in the East every night.

Do you get the Harbin RGD station on 837 at night?
Unfortunately the Harbin municipal station at 837 is quite a challenge for me with everyday spillover from a local station of mine, BRTV Beijing NewsRadio on 828. :unsure:

Edit: specifying time ranges

CNR1 on 945 is very easily heard here in Alaska

I've also heard the 639, 981 and 756 CNR1s...the 756 is coming from Harbin as well. Haven't received 1593 or 1377 yet, but they are flamethrowers elsewhere on the coast, when solar activity is low.

"My 97.5" (KVMI 1270) Tulare, CA made the 2400 mile trip to McGrath, Alaska on Sat. Jan 6th at 614pm AK(714pm Pacific). Not a bad signal considering distance and directional pattern.... station promo at 25 seconds.

Here's my audio: KVMI-AM 1270 Tulare, CA Sat Jan 6, 2024 614pm AK.mp3

I guess I didn't know it was missing?
Re Radio Enciclopedia

It's been there.
I hadn't heard it at my home location in suburban Chicago for the better part of a year. But I was hearing it in the Pensacola area during my late June visit. Notably weaker than previously. Now I'm back on the beach for the next month, and R. Enciclopedia is noticeably stronger. Comfortably listenable fair signal with minimal fading. I listened for about an hour two nights ago.

As I've said before, I like Radio Enciclopedia.

I don't really understand what the announcers are saying (yo hablo poco español), but I like the music.

Speaking of, I've noticed that much of what I've heard so far is decidedly western (and more modern than what would've been current when Fidel Castro took over and converted Cuba to communism in '59), so I wonder if they are programming it with US and Mexican listeners in mind?

c

As I've said before, I like Radio Enciclopedia.

I don't really understand what the announcers are saying (yo hablo poco español), but I like the music.

Speaking of, I've noticed that much of what I've heard so far is decidedly western (and more modern than what would've been current when Fidel Castro took over and converted Cuba to communism in '59), so I wonder if they are programming it with US and Mexican listeners in mind?

c
I'm going with no on that.

New station heard last night, KSFB 1260 San Francisco, with Relevant Radio, // to the local Relevant Radio outlet (KLFE 1590 Seattle), station #610. Sangean PR-D4W and a loop. I get maybe 2-3 newies a year. This one was fairly easy to ID (the programming) but its appearance was unusual, as 1260 is a channel I generally check out at least every other night, just to see what's on, especially after CFRN Edmonton got its plug pulled.

Almost looks like KFSB (ex-KYA?) is on a hill.

New station heard last night, KSFB 1260 San Francisco, with Relevant Radio, // to the local Relevant Radio outlet (KLFE 1590 Seattle), station #610. Sangean PR-D4W and a loop. I get maybe 2-3 newies a year. This one was fairly easy to ID (the programming) but its appearance was unusual, as 1260 is a channel I generally check out at least every other night, just to see what's on, especially after CFRN Edmonton got its plug pulled.

Almost looks like KFSB (ex-KYA?) is on a hill.
It is; near Candlestick Point, visible from the Highway 101 freeway. KEST (1450) is diplexed onto that tower; until about a month and a half ago, the FM antenna for KREV (92.7, soon to be KEXC) was also there.

"Western" is both a term used to describe "Western Europe" and the "Western Hemisphere".

But in any case, a lot of the styles of international music are the same in France as they are in Argentina or Cuba. So in the area of the music on Encyclopedia, it's not just American but Latin and European in origin.

But AM no station in Cuba is going to be particularly listenable except at night in a few coastal areas. And as far as the US, none of the signals is "listenable" except, perhaps, the Florida Keys. But the format is very much targeted at people over 65 or 70, so it won't get much US listening. And since the presentation of the station is all in Spanish, who would listen in the US?

KSKO is on 5900 khz via Spaceline Bulgaria to Europe Fridays 2100-2200UTC every week.

"Western" is both a term used to describe "Western Europe" and the "Western Hemisphere".

But in any case, a lot of the styles of international music are the same in France as they are in Argentina or Cuba. So in the area of the music on Encyclopedia, it's not just American but Latin and European in origin.

But AM no station in Cuba is going to be particularly listenable except at night in a few coastal areas. And as far as the US, none of the signals is "listenable" except, perhaps, the Florida Keys. But the format is very much targeted at people over 65 or 70, so it won't get much US listening. And since the presentation of the station is all in Spanish, who would listen in the US?

Radio Encyclopedia on 530 was listenable in the daytime on my Sangean PR-D5 when I was in Tampa.

Not as much at night, though.

Radio Encyclopedia on 530 was listenable in the daytime on my Sangean PR-D5 when I was in Tampa.

Not as much at night, though.
But would an average listener ever find it or listen? I really doubt it. And when they discover the talk is in Spanish, even less chance.

0110UTC Sun Feb 4th in west central alaska.. My favorite shortwave station, Radio Nacional de Amazonais 11780khz, 100kw from near Brasilia. The stations target zone is the northern amazon region of latin america.

This is pretty usual/regular reception, I should note. 15 ft wellbrook loop, DXEngineering preamp, EMTech ZM 2 tuner and TEF6686 radio

(Love the radio, great audio... very sensitive. Doesnt have SSb, but thats not a concern for me and audio bandwith only goes to 3khz)

I used to use the tecsun pl880, lvoed it.. discovered the ats25x... even better than the 880 and this radio, in terms of reception, is better than the ATS

425919865_10227775491670221_5602071694180988393_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom