• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Saul plans to bring back Oldies stream

Yep read it in wagoners column this morning 🌅🌅. Apparently there is high interest worldwide in Oldies. So we will see if it really does come back or B Saul is giving up on the format.
I wonder what "worldwide" means. Usually such terms are similar in real meaning to "World Series" where teams from two countries play a sport than is only recognized in a half-dozen nations world-wide.

US oldies did get some exposure outside of English speaking nations, but in most, those songs were never heard or only appealed to a tiny group. Those Taliban precursors were not dancing to Danny & The Juniors, for sure.

He really should sign with live365.com. Since coming back from the dead, they've been the go to for many a small/tiny market station, low Powered, non-profit community outlet and independent streamer.

He really should sign with live365.com. Since coming back from the dead, they've been the go to for many a small/tiny market station, low Powered, non-profit community outlet and independent streamer.

He may not like their deal because it's a revenue split. He may feel he makes more by streaming himself.

He may not like their deal because it's a revenue split. He may feel he makes more by streaming himself.

I have been reliably informed many times on this board that Saul's Oldies format couldn't pay the electric bill and is never coming back. Now we speculate that he has so much profit he doesn’t want to share.

Things that make you go Hmmm...

I have been reliably informed many times on this board that Saul's Oldies format couldn't pay the electric bill and is never coming back. Now we speculate that he has so much profit he doesn’t want to share.

Truthfully we don't know anything about his business. What we know about Live365 is that users only get a portion of the ad revenue from their stations. So he may not want to give up any part of the revenue. You're right that it's my speculation.

You're also right that there was a quote posted here a while ago that said the station was unable to pay the bills. I can't remember if that came from Saul or not. But that's broadcast revenue, not online revenue. Typically as the listenership of a stream increases, so does the music royalty cost. So that's a factor in streaming.

Truthfully we don't know anything about his business. What we know about Live365 is that users only get a portion of the ad revenue from their stations. So he may not want to give up any part of the revenue. You're right that it's my speculation.

You're also right that there was a quote posted here a while ago that said the station was unable to pay the bills. I can't remember if that came from Saul or not. But that's broadcast revenue, not online revenue. Typically as the listenership of a stream increases, so does the music royalty cost. So that's a factor in streaming.
It was a direct quote from an interview Saul gave.

Would love to see the stream return to TuneIn. That app works the best and with the recent addition of the Audacy stations, has just about everything.

I just read it. Saul is quoted as saying it's coming back. The one thing I've never known Saul to do is to not do something he says he will.
Well... occasionally he'll do something he said he will NOT do! Some months after he changed KGIL to oldies and received many complements for doing so from a bunch of enthusiastic listeners. Saul was quoted as saying: "This is the LAST format change I'll EVER do on 1260! Well...you know what happened after that some time later!

Last edited:
Would love to see the stream return to TuneIn. That app works the best and with the recent addition of the Audacy stations, has just about everything.
I expect it to stay geozoned. Saul complained about the rights fees he was incurring.

The Unforgettable stream was wonderful. And I loved the all Sinatra stream too. I don’t live in LA so can’t check to see if either is still on the HD, but it’s streams are dead and so is the website.

This is something I’ve always been annoyed with Saul about - great stations / streams that are programmed well (clearly with passion) suddenly die and go away, then maybe yo-yo back to life.

And no answer when you email them either. Frustrating.

The Unforgettable stream was wonderful. And I loved the all Sinatra stream too. I don’t live in LA so can’t check to see if either is still on the HD, but it’s streams are dead and so is the website.

This is something I’ve always been annoyed with Saul about - great stations / streams that are programmed well (clearly with passion) suddenly die and go away, then maybe yo-yo back to life.

And no answer when you email them either. Frustrating.
The HD-3 is still in operation. 105.1 HD-1 Country (FM Simulcast) HD-2 KMZT Classical (AM 1260) HD-3 MOR, HD-4 K-SURF LA Oldies.

The HD-3 is still in operation. 105.1 HD-1 Country (FM Simulcast) HD-2 KMZT Classical (AM 1260) HD-3 MOR, HD-4 K-SURF LA Oldies.
Being out of the 105.1 FM signal range and not being able to hear for myself what's currently on the HD channels, I read in the Wagoner article that HD3 was no longer All Sinatra/Unforgettable. With no mention of a new format, it gave the impression it's now dead air. However, it's now MOR, like the music that was heard on the old KMPC? Curious to know exactly what you're hearing, as far as the music, and branding if any. Sounds like Adult Standards is back, but maybe leaning towards Soft Oldies from the 70's?

Being out of the 105.1 FM signal range and not being able to hear for myself what's currently on the HD channels, I read in the Wagoner article that HD3 was no longer All Sinatra/Unforgettable. With no mention of a new format, it gave the impression it's now dead air. However, it's now MOR, like the music that was heard on the old KMPC? Curious to know exactly what you're hearing, as far as the music, and branding if any. Sounds like Adult Standards is back, but maybe leaning towards Soft Oldies from the 70's?
Without my HD radio until the coming weekend but as of June 24, Unforgettable was still being broadcast on HD3 and oldies on HD4

Without my HD radio until the coming weekend but as of June 24, Unforgettable was still being broadcast on HD3 and oldies on HD4
That's right HD3 is kind of a mix of 1940s through the 50s MOR Vocals, Ballads, Crooners, Jazzy Instrumentals and some Big Band My late father-in-law would say they play a lot of WWII too.

Back
Top Bottom