• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sears Files Bankruptcy

By the way you know there's still Radio Shack stores open. They're not corporate stores but franchise. Wish one was here in the New Orleans area, nearest is a hour away in Poplarville, MS. One in Buna and another in Winnie TX
I live in San Diego, when I Google "Radio Shack stores near me", 3 locations in Tijuana, Mexico came up. Apparently Radio Shack stores are still plentiful in Mexico.

By the way you know there's still Radio Shack stores open. They're not corporate stores but franchise. Wish one was here in the New Orleans area, nearest is a hour away in Poplarville, MS. One in Buna and another in Winnie TX
*Gleefulness intensifies* šŸ„³
I guess I shall plan my road trip to the nearest RadioShack still open šŸ¤‘

And like a PE firm, their inclination is to sell-off valuable assets for some quick cash infusion, then assume a bunch of debt trying to make a show to Wall Street that everything is great, by buying already beleaguered KMart.
Technically, it was KMart who bought Sears, even though KMart was in worse financial condition at the time, having just emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Technically, it was KMart who bought Sears, even though KMart was in worse financial condition at the time, having just emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
I've heard some rather weird stories around that merger, something to do with Sears' Holding Corporation buying out the actual Sears stores, and K-mart buying into the merger, or something, and it sounds like it was a real mess.

I've heard some rather weird stories around that merger, something to do with Sears' Holding Corporation buying out the actual Sears stores, and K-mart buying into the merger, or something, and it sounds like it was a real mess.
Sears Holding Corp. was a firm set up by Edward Lampert, a former executive at Goldman Sachs. Technically it was an $11B merger between KMart and Sears. Both brands were put under the Sears Holding Co. umbrella. Lampert was really the instigator in the demise of both stores. Lampert started by selling off the time tested store brands for some quick cash. Once he made the statement to paraphrase: 'Why should the value of the real estate Sears stores sit on, be more valuable than the company itself?' Of course then he started closing stores, cutting staff, and selling off valuable real estate that Sears stores had owned for almost one hundred years. Lampert essentially parted-out the entire history of Sears.

My first public musical performance was in a Sears store. In 1972, I was 3 years old and had disappeared from my Mom. She frantically searched for me and then she saw a group of women gathered around a clothes rack (Probably alot of paisley polyester pants). I was sitting underneath all the clothes singing "Delta Dawn". All the women were impressed so my Mom didn't even get mad at me for disappearing. I might've even got a candy bar on the way home, I don't remember it much but she still does.

Make that 9 K-Marts left in the continental US The last K -Mart in California just closed down It was located in Grass Valley, outside of Sacramento. šŸ˜¢
According to this video on You Tube it will soon be down to 6 stores. It's very amateurish but it's probably accurate:

Aren't we down to 4 now?

i said it before and i'll say it again, Kmart is now a dead brand, it's a matter of time before all remaining stores close and same goes to Sears, the future of their branding is being sold off to a company that owns the trademark similar to Circuit City, Radio Shack, Montgomery Wards, and a couple of other retailers that died only to live on in name only as a website unrelated to the old companies as the new companies only brought the branding and trademark as the stores are already closed down and the buildings are sold to someone else.

i said it before and i'll say it again, Kmart is now a dead brand, it's a matter of time before all remaining stores close and same goes to Sears, the future of their branding is being sold off to a company that owns the trademark similar to Circuit City, Radio Shack, Montgomery Wards, and a couple of other retailers that died only to live on in name only as a website unrelated to the old companies as the new companies only brought the branding and trademark as the stores are already closed down and the buildings are sold to someone else.
I actually also miss Hills & Ames. They were great stores in Western NY way back in the day. It's sad to see that they're just a memory these days.

I noticed that the Radio Shack website has links to other stores that have gone out of business and are now online only, including Pier 1 Imports, Linens and Things, and Stein Mart. They're all apparently owned by a company called Retail ECommerce Ventures. Could Sears and K Mart end up there or somewhere similar?

I noticed that the Radio Shack website has links to other stores that have gone out of business and are now online only, including Pier 1 Imports, Linens and Things, and Stein Mart. They're all apparently owned by a company called Retail ECommerce Ventures. Could Sears and K Mart end up there or somewhere similar?
Most likely they bought the trademarks and that's it.

It seems like Radio Shack is still selling items like their big ugly radio headphones and other classic RS items. Since the PE firm sold off Sears store brands like Craftsman and Kenmore, there isn't anything much unique to the classic Sears to even sell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Back
Top Bottom